Coming for a Visit - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-06-2008, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, nobody is able to help my sister in Tokoroa, so I'm coming to help her with her health and her home (my mom is paying for my ticket).

So I'm coming for a visit. I'm flying into Auckland in just over a week and am getting a bus to her home in Tokoroa.

Is there anything a foreigner should know about New Zealand before visiting? Anything I should or shouldn't bring? And is there any sightseeing to do in the Tokoroa area, or Te Kuiti area which is where my sister's kids are right now. I've googled and it doesn't look like it, but I doubt I'll get to go to any other cities on this trip.

I'm assuming it's easy to get things like a vacuum, washer, dryer, if she needs it, and hopefully a plumber to come over and fix the dishwasher, but I'm also a little scared about that. Are you really expected to fix EVERYTHING by yourself in New Zealand? I'm not being mean, it's just the way my sister makes things sound over the phone.

And one more question, my sister's husband is desperately in need of rehab because he is spending ALL of their family's money on drugs. If he's not receptive I'm not going to force the issue, but could anyone tell me if rehab is free in New Zealand due to the socialized healthcare, or if you have to pay.

Okay, that was a mouthful. Please answer this time, y'all, even if you only know the answer to one question? :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-07-2008, 12:00 AM
Banned

I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner, I just didn't feel my answer would be very helpful.
It is easy to get any electrical appliances in New Zealand, and most people who own their house has them (we don't own our place, we don't have a dish washer, dryer, microwave - mainly by choice, as we do have a front loader, which is less common here!). Another option for people who rent their home would be renting appliances. That is rather common, as rented accommodation rarely has more than a fridge and a washing machine.

Where we are, in the capital, any plumber would probably jump on it if you asked them to do a job - especially if it is "easy". I don't know how it would be in Tokoroa, which, I understand, is sort of a bit "off the beaten track" if you know what I mean.

Kiwis rather like to save money (or not waste money) by DIY, but of course you can hire tradespeople - they are usually good at making money out of people who won't DIY!!!!

Don't bring any fruit or other food items, border control is really strict about these things!

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. Good luck!
#3 of 7 Old 10-07-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minky View Post
And one more question, my sister's husband is desperately in need of rehab because he is spending ALL of their family's money on drugs. If he's not receptive I'm not going to force the issue, but could anyone tell me if rehab is free in New Zealand due to the socialized healthcare, or if you have to pay.
Well we do have a free healthcare system that will help in those situations, but I'm not sure about the waiting lists for these types of programs. As with a lot of things, if you can afford to pay for private care (which is also available), that is probably best way to go. A lot of church groups will help too. There's an organisation called Higher Ground http://www.higherground.org.nz/ that may be able to help, but I've only seen it being advertised and don't know whether they are any good or not. Good luck.
#4 of 7 Old 10-07-2008, 07:57 AM

PS Tokoroa is not too far from Rotorua which is a major tourism attraction. If you like geysers and things...
#5 of 7 Old 10-08-2008, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

The Higher Ground thing looks good if he's willing to do it. He is already on the sickness benefit, so it would be free. Thanks for that.

I've heard horror stories about people bringing in fruit, so I won't be doing that. And I'll check out Rotorua. I think my sister has taken the kids to the hot pools there before, and that's something I'm definitely interested in.
#6 of 7 Old 10-10-2008, 03:38 AM

Since being on maternity leave I've started watching Dr Phil and Oprah and because I believe everything I see on tv, I have noticed that the main message they give to people with addictions and their families is that the person has to want to change! Seriously, I had a cousin with an addiction who was sent to the most expensive rehab facility in the country and it did not help. On the other hand I had another cousin from the other side of the family who had an incentive to change (his family and he found religion) and has been clean for about 10 years or more. Good Luck.
#7 of 7 Old 10-12-2008, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

I understand that he has to be willing to change. I'm not going to press tihngs if he's unwilling, I just want to have some resources available if he is.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page