Laws? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-05-2008, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone tell me about some of the laws there? We are considering a move from the USA.

Things like homeschooling, vaxing, and home birthing?

Thank you SO much. I just don't know where to start looking for this info.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 11-06-2008, 07:21 AM

homeschooling is legal, but you need to register.
non-vaxing is legal, in cases where vaxing is mandatory (like in schools) all you need is to get a letter from a Dr stating "contientious objection"; it's just a formality
home birthing is pretty alive and happening.

laws differ slightly from state to state tho.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#3 of 12 Old 11-06-2008, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Just what I needed to hear. Thank you.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#4 of 12 Old 11-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Banned

Australia or New Zealand?

I think homebirthing is easier in NZ than AU- midwife care is the norm, you can birth where you like, there are quite a number of homebirth midwives, it is free, as is hospital transfer and your midwife is still your main carer if you do end up in hospital for some reason. I think AU has stricter rules, and are less positive to homebirth.
Homeschooling is fine in NZ, but have to apply for it. Non-vaxing, well, we've been hassled a bit, especially by the vax register people, but we legally have the right to decline. For kindy and school you need to show a vax certificate - but they have boxes to tick for non-vax. In the event of an epidemic they can require you to keep your child home, that is all.
#5 of 12 Old 11-06-2008, 10:52 PM

Wa has a gov funded homebirth program
http://www.cmwa.net.au/CMWA%20pages/program.html
which is excelent! we had poppy through them and it cost a small fee to register but they waive it if you cant afford it. Tecnically you dont need the conciensious objection form, that is for the vax allouance from centre link, they will ask you for a record of vax, but that could be nothing they just need to document it, or at least in wa thats how it is. Homeschooling is fine, we are looking into it ourself, you just need to register and they work with you, there are homeschooling groups who will help you and who do weekly activity shares, like sports and arts.
#6 of 12 Old 11-07-2008, 10:30 AM

Homebirthing is virtually non-existant in my part of Queensland, & it's been like that for the last 10 years or so. ime, it's a totally hostile environment here. Things are a bit different in Brisbane, as far as I understand.

I have never been hassled over my kids vax schedule, or lack thereof, except for when I took my 12 hour old homebirthed DS into the maternity hospital for a check up. They were quite keen to give him a hepB jab, which was refused of course.

Homeschooling is very normal where I live, particularly amongst remote & rural families. Still, it's popular in the larger urban centres too. Most families send their kids to high school outside the family though, so a lot of rural kids go to private boarding school for years 8-12.

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

#7 of 12 Old 02-02-2009, 09:20 PM

I live in rural NSW, Australia.
Homebirth is available through my area health service for free ( medicare ), otherwise you can pay privately if you want.

Don't know anything about homeschooling laws, sorry.. but I know it's done a lot in certain areas

Vaccination is NOT compulsory in Australia at all for kids. Schools will want a vaccination record, but it doesn't have to have much or anything on it.

HTH

weeze
#8 of 12 Old 02-02-2009, 10:43 PM

where do you live that you can get medicare homebirth? I heard that medicare was trialling HB services, but it's not around here available.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#9 of 12 Old 02-02-2009, 11:02 PM

I think a trial is going on in Sydney, but Hunter New England Area Health offer publicly funded homebirth in Newcastle, Taree area and Tamworth area ( need to live within 30 mins of the hospital ) More hospitals in the area are coming on board.

weeze
#10 of 12 Old 02-03-2009, 06:07 AM

Hi there, vaxing is not mandatory but if you use a doctor as your primary health care provider they always try to put a lot of pressure on you just the usual scare tactics etc. You wont be refused health care if you dont vax and I've generally had no issues in this area only a few snide remarks from the odd nurse!
You have to apply for a certificate of exemption to homeschool in which you will have to show that your child will be 'taught at least as regulkarly and as well' as if they were in school. This isn't a problem as I know unschoolers who have got their exemtions no problem at all.
NZ is a great country to have a baby there are plenty of opltions, unassisted is illegal but hey it happens. So there you go! google homebirth in New Zealand
#11 of 12 Old 04-05-2009, 11:15 AM

Also WA has the homebirth program funded by medicare, but its currently just for the metro area. I posted the link up page, and they just got funding for 8 new midwives and places!
#12 of 12 Old 04-06-2009, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiahnsmum View Post
NZ is a great country to have a baby there are plenty of opltions, unassisted is illegal but hey it happens.
How is unassisted birth illegal?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page