Inverted uterus - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-19-2008, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a rather interesting and terrifying experience after the birth of my daughter three and a half years ago...she was born naturally, in a hospital, with my midwife. Labor was about 13 hours, pushed for almost 2 hours...all was well, though, until after she was born...my placenta would not come out, and my midwife told me she would have to manually retrieve it...next thing I know, my uterus inverted and I was rushed into surgery to put it all back together...

Far from planned!!!! We are all good now, and, this is where I need a bit of help...I am pregnant again, and I don't know if I should try labor again and risk this happening again, or have a cesarean that I dread....I've researched inverted uterus online, with mixed results...some say I'll be fine, some say it's dangerous...

Does anyone know someone else this happened to that has given birth after?

Thanks.
#2 of 10 Old 11-20-2008, 12:17 AM

My best friend had an inverted uterus, it was way scary-i took a team of surgeons hours to stop the bleeding etc.. Anyway, she hasn't had another babe yet but her team of doctors , including her midwife said that she could have another baby vaginally but to wait at least two years or so and to just make sure it's at a hospital and everyone knows just in case it happens again( the inverted uterus happened at an independant birth center with a midwife)
#3 of 10 Old 11-20-2008, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Do you have an inverted uterus normally or did this just happen after the birth? I know I have an inverted uterus but was told during pregnancy it would flip and it wouldn't be an issue (and it hasn't for my first two births). Did they say why it happened?
#4 of 10 Old 11-21-2008, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

I did not have an inverted uterus naturally--it only happened during labor.

I am seeing a different midwife tomorrow, and then my original midwife next week to get a feel for what everyone recommends...then I guess I will have to follow my gut...

Thanks so much for the reply...I'll keep you posted.
#5 of 10 Old 11-21-2008, 12:33 PM

first, I think we are talking apples and oranges here, even tho the OP and another pp are talking 'inverted uterus'.

OP, do you mean that your uterus turned inside-out during the placenta retrieval, and came outside of your body? that is a complete prolapse.

Usually, when care providers talk about 'inverted uterus', they mean that it doesn't sit quite the same way as with most women--also known as a 'tipped uterus', if I recall correctly. But the uterus is definitely all up inside the mom! This is not that unusual and not the least life-threatening.

In any event, I would bet good money that it was the manual placenta removal that led to the prolapse (which is what I think you had, given surgery to put it back in). If your uterus and the rest of your pelvic floor are in reasonably good tone and condition now, I see no reason for planning surgical birth--but I would strongly urge that you either have a homebirth or at least a serious discussion with hosp providers about leaving their **&%$!!! hands OUT of your uterus!

I hear these stories from women--usually at hospital tho occasionally at home: 'the placenta wouldn't come out, so they had to go in and take out the placenta manually'--but it turns out 'placenta wouldn't come out' meant that it didn't emerge within a certain time frame (within 15-20 min), even though mom was fine. Some placentas just take longer. If mom is holding/nursing the baby, and is not forced to be lying down with birth and right after but can sit up and move as she naturally wants to, placentas most always come out! Sometimes it takes an hour, or even more--but this is not necessarily a problem. As long as there is no bleeding and mom feels good, there's just no hurry.

Wherever you give birth, I would definitely make sure that you choose a provider who is NOT inclined to putting her hands up inside your uterus. That is something that too many do casually, and it really can lead to big troubles for moms. In the meantime, do some research on placentas--the 'range of normal time' for placental delivery, the different warning signs to watch for, the difference between 'managed 3rd stage' and 'physiological 3rd stage'. Just to be ready for this aspect of your next birth, and able to make wise decisions for yourself.

If you were not literally bleeding a *great* deal at the time, there was just NO reason to try a manual removal! Even IF you'd been bleeding a lot, there would be other ways to help contract the uterus and encourage the bleeding to stop and placenta to come out.

Ok, I'll stop ranting now Can you tell this is a pet peeve of mine?
#6 of 10 Old 11-21-2008, 01:42 PM

I had a friend who had her uterus prolapse after the birth of her 1st child. She went on to have another child, vaginally, with no problems.

Oh, and the hospital was so afraid she would sue them for the prolapse, they paid all her medical bills.

Mom to retired nursling Lily (6/22/07) and wife to my wonderful DH since 3/19/05
Baby Aerick is here! Born at 40+6 on 5/16/10
#7 of 10 Old 11-21-2008, 02:05 PM

My neighbor had a uterine prolapse after the birth of her first child. The doc used a vacuum extractor on the babe, and then manual traction on the cord. And said "oops" when he pulled her uterus out. She did have an epidural, so couldn't feel anything much. Anyway, she was rushed into emergency surgery, etc. For her second birth 4 years later, she had a totally natural birth center birth.

Jenny: 40 Something AP mom to 2 adult kids, 2 teen step kids, and one amazing 7YO. Doula and Brio Birth educator, too!
#8 of 10 Old 11-23-2008, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your information--I will be doing some more research for sure about inverted/prolapsed uteruses...and also into the timing of placentas unattatching...I had never contemplated that perhaps mine just was naturally taking longer, and was not a problem at all...

My understanding of the whole situation was that I was bleeding intensely, and that is why my midwife decided someone would have to manually retrieve my placenta...however, she did tug a bit on my cord and my uterus prolapsed?? before anyone went in to get it...

I'm inspired by other women going on to have a vaginal birth normally after this happening to them...I'd love to talk with them and find out, mostly how they conquered their fear of it happening again and finding the courage to trust their body again rather than being afraid of the whole experience happening again...that's kind of where I'm at...I'm truly afraid of it all happening again, almost as afraid as I am of a cesarean...I'm still in my first trimester, so I have some time to figure things out a bit...

Anyway, thanks for replying and heading me in areas I can read about and find out more about...knowledge is power, yes?

Also, Ms Black...if you read this again, could you fill me in on other possible things to do if the mom IS bleeding profusely to get the placenta to let go? I'd love to hear more options....
#9 of 10 Old 11-23-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callieollie View Post
Do you have an inverted uterus normally or did this just happen after the birth? I know I have an inverted uterus but was told during pregnancy it would flip and it wouldn't be an issue (and it hasn't for my first two births). Did they say why it happened?

CallieOllie- You have a RETROVERTED uterus. Tilted backward. Inverted is turned inside out.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#10 of 10 Old 11-24-2008, 12:22 PM

Heidirk--

Thanks for posting this info. I came back to this thread just now to make the same correction, since I'd posted wrongly earlier.

Prolapse is when the uterus/pelvic floor lose so much tone that they are hanging much lower than usual (which can have various effects on a woman's genito-urinary functioning, depending on how severe the loss of pelvic floor tone).

Inversion (inverted uterus) is when the uterus comes completely OUT of mama, is still holding on but is turned inside out. I earlier called this a 'complete prolapse' and I do think that this term is used alternately with inversion.

Retroversion is 'tipped uterus'--tilted backward instead of forward the way most uteri are.

So no, retroverted uterus is not the same, nor nearly as potentially harmful, as inverted uterus.

Please pardon my brain fart! As soon as I'd posted, I knew I hadn't said that right.... Thank goodness someone else was on the ball.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page