Temperature of Newborn's Room - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-19-2008, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had 2 beautiful children by c-section and this is, unfortunately, the way my 3rd is going to be born. Please do not use this thread as a platform for anti c/s rants. Believe me, I am very well informed about how much they suck and, sadly, this is the way things have worked out.

Ahem.

We live in the Czech Republic, where one of the "quirks" of the culture is a preference for very warm rooms. People here inc. most doctors believe that lower temperatures or drafts give you a "cold". Yes, it's medieval. But there is no convincing them otherwise.

When I was in the hospital recovering from my babies' births I felt near to suffocating because the room temperature was 80 degrees F (27 C) and we are used to ambient temps of around 60 at home. When I cracked open the windows the docs and nurses fussed at me saying that I was endangering the baby. DH warned me to at least appear that I was complying or else risk that they would send social workers after us (who would not be too happy about our low household temps, vegetarian diet, co-sleeping and other "eccentricities").

The docs say that temps any lower than 77 degrees endanger the baby, but this seems VERY unlikely to me. How many parts of the world have such consistently high temperatures all year? In any case, both of our children adjusted to living in our much cooler home without any problems.

In any case, what I'm asking here, especially from anyone out there who is a birth professional, is what you consider an ideal or acceptable temperature (range) for a newborn. Do you have any official guidelines or hard data to work with?

Thanks so much.
#2 of 6 Old 11-19-2008, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have nothing official but my newborn sleeps in our room & we keep it about 65. And there are many people with newborns in freezing climates who definitely have their houses lower than 77.

I actually thought that slightly lower temperatures were better for preventing SIDS.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 6 Old 11-19-2008, 09:58 PM

my newborns room is my room so 70.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#4 of 6 Old 11-20-2008, 03:05 PM

A baby born small, like under 7 pounds or so, or more than a week or two before term, might need extra help regulating his temperature, and so might need a warmer room. This can also be accomplished by wrapping baby warmly, or keeping him close to mother's warm body. But a hearty, healthy, full-term baby? I think whatever temperature is comfortable for you is probably fine for baby, as long as baby is clothed appropriately. I would say 70 for a naked baby, and 60 for a baby dressed in diaper, sleeper, and flannel blanket, and held by a parent, would be fine.

It's much more dangerous for a baby to be overheated than it is for a baby to be too chilly. Being overbundled in a warm room is a risk factor for SIDS.

You might gently point out that colds are caused by viruses passed between infected humans, not the ambient temperature of a room.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#5 of 6 Old 11-20-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
Being overbundled in a warm room is a risk factor for SIDS.
:
here's a link:
http://www.sids.org/nprevent.htm
"Overheating an infant may increase the risk for SIDS."
#6 of 6 Old 11-21-2008, 12:56 PM

I just read recently that baby's room can be about 70. I can't remember where I read it.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page