C/S Birth Plan? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 11-24-2003, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As much as I want to avoid it, I may have to have a c-section for my twins, b/c the first one is footling breach. Please don't tell me how to turn him, I've done tons of homework on that and I'm doing what I can, given bedrest constraints.

What I'd like to know is how to cover all my bases. I have a birth plan written up for the hypnobirth I've been planning, but I'd like to write up a separate one for in case I DO have a section. Has anyone heard of this or done it, or can you refer me to a starting place online for one?

Also, as a side note, I'm curious why everyone who has a c-section talks about how they can't hold and nurse their babies right away, that they have to be in recovery for at least an hour or two first. This breaks my heart, bothers me more than anything else about the c/s possibility. Why can't you have them right away, esp. considering they only numb you from the waist down, generally?

Thanks, everyone!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#2 of 39 Old 11-24-2003, 08:53 PM

check out the cesarian support cicle thread in this forum. I nursed my baby within an hour of giving birth to him with my c-sec. For some women (including me), they have trouble getting their babe in a comfortable postion which will not bother their incision. Some women bounce back quickly and do not experience much pain. Others are slower to recover (me being one of them). But in my situation, I labored for two days and pushed for four and a half hours, so I was exhausted going into the c-sec. I was also pumped full of fluids which I believe led to my milk coming in very late and nursing difficulty. Some people I know who did not labor for long or had a planned c-sec healed quite quickly. If you check out the cesarian support circle, you'll discover how much each situation varies.

My advice to you is to line up as much support as you can get, but seeing that you are expecting twins you are probably already thinking along those lines. Myabe even a support person with you at all times during your hospital stay.

Whatever happens, I wish you a joyous birth experience.

Edited to add: I was wheeled out of the OR holding my ds, so I don't know why some hospitals delay bonding with mama and babe.
#3 of 39 Old 11-24-2003, 08:55 PM

#4 of 39 Old 11-24-2003, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Kerri, didn't know such a thread existed!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#5 of 39 Old 11-25-2003, 01:54 AM

I had a csbirth plan for my second baby and it was a great experience. I wanted to add, don't let anyone get under your skin if you do have to have a csection due to the footling breech. My bestfriend, who was planning a natural vaginal delivery, had a footling breech a few months ago and the cord prolapsed when her water broke. She had to have an emergency csection with GA. I'd rather have something planned then go through what she did.

Goodluck with your babies!

Kim
#6 of 39 Old 11-25-2003, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Kim, I have been reading your suggestions on the other thread...very helpful. The risk of cord prolapse is the reason I'm ok with having a CB.

#7 of 39 Old 11-25-2003, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, I haven't had one but here are some things I have heard from other moms:

Insist that they insert the catheter AFTER they give you the anesthesia!

Something I read in Ina May's new book - insist that your uterus be closed in two layers, instead of the single-layer suturing that many doctors are doing now. I recommend reading that chapter if you haven't already.

Make sure your OB will do a low transverse incision - many of them just flat out refuse, so don't assume.

If it hurts, don't let them tell you it doesn't. I think they are supposed to stick you with pins and sometimes if you still say it hurts, they get exasperated and pressure moms into "deciding" it doesn't hurt after all.

Recovery is different for everyone. Some people say they were dancing through the halls after getting off the table, and some were permanently disabled. It probably depends on the anesthesia used and the skill of your surgeon.

Some labor first is best, so don't go for the 2-weeks-early scheduled kind.

If it were me, I would insist on the usual stuff - my choice of anesthesia, dh's right to be there at all times, the baby to be immediately given to me and never taken to the nursery, immediate breastfeeding, as long a hospital stay as I want, and pain medication whenever I want as well. No one is going to tell me I should feel no pain after 3 days! Oh yeah, and food whenever I am hungry. I hear they won't feed you until you have pooped, but how are you supposed to poop if you can't eat?

Finally, there are moms here who have had vaginal births with footling breeches, so it doesn't mean an automatic c/s. If you really wanted to go that way you would have to do it at home, though, since no hospital will let you do it. Or you would have to arrive at the hospital pushing.
#8 of 39 Old 11-25-2003, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Grease, I'm taking notes!

#9 of 39 Old 11-28-2003, 01:48 AM

If you do a search in this forum and in VBAC I know some will show up. There was a big thread by kaje42 a couple months ago

btw...this is exactly why we NEED a c/b subforum. Info is hard to fnid! Especially on the internet from moms who have been there that have GREAT advice!

You'll find great support around here in the c/b support thread!

Oh, and I bf'ed my son an hour after delivery. It took 45 minutes to stitch me up and 10 minutes later he was latched on! He never left our sight either. As long as baby is ok there is NO reason for them to take the babes!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#10 of 39 Old 11-28-2003, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Megan!!!

#11 of 39 Old 11-28-2003, 11:27 PM

For my last csection I told them I wanted to eat right away. The reason they do not want you to eat before hand is due to some risks with bowel obstruction. Also some people puke after surgery. I ate food but I wasn't eating a buffet, I ate light until I felt I could handle a full meal.

Also, I have read Ina's book. I will though. But most doctors do, do a low transverse incicsion unless you are morbidly obese and there is problems doing a low transverse.

Grease has a good comment on not letting them pressure you if you still feel the pricking before they cut you. A good doctor will wait, one who doesnt is f-ed up and you dont need to be using anyway. My first csection they talked me into not feeling the pain but I did feel it and it got worse.

Though I will agree that waiting to go into labor is ideal, I don't think its a good idea with a breech presentation mainly because of the risk of water breaking and having a prolapse cord. Also, if emotionally, you can't handle waiting to go into labor and need to prepare for your surgery to ensure your birthplan is followed do it. I had my son 2 wks early without problems and I wouldn't change a thing that I did. Sometimes to get the dr, anest, nurses, everything you want you have to schedule it -- going into labor at 3am doesn't make for getting your birthplan followed. If you are easy going, than and maybe everything will work out for the best.
#12 of 39 Old 11-29-2003, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Kim, I was starting to reconsider about the going into labor first part, b/c of the prolapse issue...esp. since my water breaking started my labor with Meg, and that makes it more likely to happen again.

#13 of 39 Old 11-29-2003, 03:21 PM

It's important to state:

Bikini cut (there's a more technical name for it, which I prefer, but I can't think of)

and

Double Layer Suture

Some other things you can specify:

Partner present
Screen lowered to view the birth
Explain surgery as it's happening
Hand free to touch baby
Breastfeed in recovery room
If mother is unable to hold the baby immediately after the birth, partner to hold it
Give baby to mother as soon as possible
Do not take baby to nursery

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#14 of 39 Old 11-29-2003, 03:24 PM

low transverse

that's it

sorry I hadn't read Greaseball's post

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#15 of 39 Old 11-29-2003, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Alice!

#16 of 39 Old 11-29-2003, 09:34 PM

i also requested that the eye ointment be postponed (if you're having it done at all). if we were having it done, we wanted him to have bf already and a bit of bonding time first.
#17 of 39 Old 11-30-2003, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

I won't have the eye gunk done at all if I have a c/b.

#18 of 39 Old 12-07-2003, 05:27 AM

my personal feeling is that they don't let you have them right away because of the liability

my last birth was a c/s unplanned and there was no way I could have held or nursed a baby in the first couple hours, I was way out of it & thought the nurse was my dh in the recovery room

I think greaseball gave you great suggestions and I think it is very smart to have a back up c/s plan-- not just for the delivery but also for the recovery, the stay in hospital after which can vary tremendously & first week at home to prevent infection/complications

Mary
mom to four wonderful kids
#19 of 39 Old 12-07-2003, 06:18 AM

Something I just read and did not realize.

It is common for the mother to be administered a sedative post-op without even knowing it. It's done to help with queasiness and trembling, but that usually wears off (if it happens) anywhere between a half hour and 1.5 hours. Let them know before your c-sec that you don't want any sedatives and it can help you be alert sooner so that you can begin nursing and bonding.

I am having another VBAC, but I'll be putting the no sedative info in my back up C-birth birth plan.
#20 of 39 Old 12-12-2003, 10:28 AM

This is true about the sedatives. It is given during the suturing stage of surgery most the time. I would suggest that even if you are planning a VBAC you need to discuss this with your doctor now, not later. I would even talk to anest. if its that important to you.

Kim
#21 of 39 Old 12-12-2003, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Added to the birth preferences - thank you!

Meg is two today!

#22 of 39 Old 12-12-2003, 04:05 PM

I am so glad you started this thread!

I am planning a homebirth for my second birth. My first birth was in the hospital, and I had a normal vaginal delivery with minor complaints (I tore, and I didn't care for the anaesthia).

I was very anxious about having a hospital birth the first time... I mean I dreamt about bringing a gun to the hospital with me so that they couldn't take my baby away from me. I wrote a birth plan and said I'd rather leave against medical advice (AMA) and give birth on the sidewalk outside. It went okay, though it would have gone better had I been at home.

This time, I'm planning a homebirth, but if something really does go wrong...

BTW, there is a thread about what went wrong at homebirths right now in the Homebirth board.

..If something goes wrong and I have to be transported to the hospital, I want to be ready for it. So, you've given me the idea to get serious and put together a C-section birth plan. I'm so scared about going through a c/s. It is hard for me to think of it as a "cesarian birth" that can be a "wonderful experience." I just see it as a disaster. I would probably react allergically to all the anaesthias, painkillers, sedatives, etc. I probably wouldn't heal for year. ... Actually, I didn't feel good about the healing on my tear for 9 months after birth of my first child.

-- Caitlin
#23 of 39 Old 12-18-2003, 02:09 AM

Here is another thing...

I don't know if you had an epidural with Meg but I itched horribly from either the epi or something they put in it. I do not think I was given a sedative during the surgery but I was given benadryl (at my request) for the itching. They gave me DROWSY benadryl! That stuff takes me 4 days to recover from! So, this time I am adding to my bp that I want non-drowsy if I need it!

#24 of 39 Old 12-18-2003, 03:52 AM

No - I did not get a sedative, I was passing out from the shock of it all & kept getting rolled over to get epy shots in the hip to raise my blood pressure. They were trying to get me going to get me to recovery. I had planned on a midwife no drug delivery like my previous birth. I had no plan for c-section, and my husband was so scared for us that he was honestly not much help. After baby was born, he was as much in grief about the birth as I was.

Make your plan, make s/o read it too.
#25 of 39 Old 12-18-2003, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

DH has been over the plan with me, and we went over it with the OB last week!

No epi with Meg but that's interesting about the Benadryl. I do have no sedatives on my list...

#26 of 39 Old 12-18-2003, 07:06 AM

Quote:
don't know if you had an epidural with Meg but I itched horribly from either the epi or something they put in it.
I itched horribly as well. It was explained to me that it was from all of the fluid retention due to all the IV fluids that I was given. My feet were so swollen that I could not put shoes on for a week.
#27 of 39 Old 12-18-2003, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MamaOui
I itched horribly as well. It was explained to me that it was from all of the fluid retention due to all the IV fluids that I was given. My feet were so swollen that I could not put shoes on for a week.
The week AFTER my c/b I was still swelling. By the time ds was 6 days old I had new stretchmarks on my feet and NECK!!! Those went away...luckily!

#28 of 39 Old 12-19-2003, 02:04 PM

I would like to know if there are any natural approaches that can be taken during or after a c-section surgery.

For instance, can I request acupuncture instead of pharmacalogical anaesthia? (Not sure I'd want to, but...)

I am just wondering what my larger array of choices are in a hospital.

I'm sure the epidural would make me itchy....It makes 25% or more of all people itchy as a routine side effect... I'm not sure I would want more drugs to "cure" the side effects of the first ones.

What are my other options?

-- Caitlin
#29 of 39 Old 12-19-2003, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Self-hypnosis has been used for all kinds of surgeries, but you might have a hard time finding a dr. to agree to it...

#30 of 39 Old 12-19-2003, 08:26 PM

Hi there, I wanted to chime in on this great thread for many reasons ( as a doula).

I was just hired by a couple expecting twins and baby A is also footling ( 30 weeks along) so in all likelihood, it will be a c/s. They hired me anyway because they want an advocate for them ( hubby, friends, family and mom) at all times and to help with first latch. They plan to request that I be permitted in the OR, but I don't find that likely.

The mom wants to request that chit-chat be kept to a minimum- it is a birth and she wants to feel 'present'. It is a sacred moment and MD's chatting about football playoffs over her uterus sounds icky to her.

She also plans to have on headphones playing the labor music she had dreamed about for a while. It will block out the noise of surgery and let her just envision her babies being brought out into the world.

Her DH plans to be wearing a digital camera and take photos ( which you may have to get permission for ahead of time)

She wants an epidural over a spinal so that she does not have the increased risk of having to lay down flat PP. She wants to be able to sit up and nurse.

As for the GREAT suggestions to request double layer suturing over single ( for better chance of VBAC later on ) that is a tough one. I have had surgeons FLAT OUT REFUSE it on patients upon request. "We don't do it like that anymore! We are trying to prevent you from bleeding to death! Do you want to die?!?!?" was the most recent verbal abuse a c/s mom received. And when she insisted, he threatened to transfer her care and quit. ouch.

All I am trying to say there is , pick your battles with a planned c/s. PUt your priorities in order and shoot for the ones that you cannot live without.

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page