If you have a baby over 9lbs, you are diabetic - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 83 Old 12-10-2008, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I fought the GD diagnosis my entire third pregnancy. I went against my better judgment and took the screen (it was positive). It was also positive the first two babies I had. Ended up when I did the three hour that I ended up being negative BOTH TIMES so on number three I put my foot down and said no. I basically said forget it...the three hour makes me throw up and practically pass out (who thinks that making a pregnant woman starve herself for basically 11 hours for a test was a GOOD idea???) I think that some people just react to that stupid solution that you have to drink...

Long story short, ended up self-testing AND moving to a different facility to have my child after being told that I was GD and I needed to deal with it. I was also told that there were NO alternatives to the 3 hour and if I didn't do it then I was going to be treated as GD and had no choice in the matter.

Found a doc that agreed that if my levels were consistently normal then we would not continually have the GD discussion as I was NOT interested in continually being treated as a ticking time bomb when I was relatively certain that I didn't even have it.

Funny...when self-testing I only ended up with a couple of high numbers and that's if I TOTALLY carb-loaded that day. BTW...did research and that is normal.

So, to make a long story short...babies were 8 lbs, 8 lbs 9 oz and 7 lbs 13 oz...but all were either long enough or had big enough heads (last one was 14.5 inches) to 'qualify' as large babies so blood sugar testing was 'indicated'. Babies one and two got poked numerous times but baby number 3 got a total of 4 and then I put my foot down and said no more.

Don't panic and don't be afraid to stand your ground if needed. It's your baby and your body. I agree with what others have said...some people just make big, healthy, beautiful and well-grown babies!!!
#62 of 83 Old 12-10-2008, 04:32 PM

I had two girls vaginally who were both well over 9lbs. The first was 9lbs 2oz and the second was 9lbs 8 ozs. I am 95lbs 5'2" and I weighed 4lbs at my birth and Dh is not big either and he was a 7lb baby. I DID NOT have diabetes, I have no health issues AT ALL and I eat only organic foods so WHY I had such big babies is beyond me.
#63 of 83 Old 12-10-2008, 04:36 PM

My brother was 9lbs 10oz and my mom has never had remotely anything resembling diabetes, nor even now in her sixties. She's also petite in height and weight.

I have never thought that a 9lb baby is that big a deal. It seems in the realm of normal to me. It's just one of those nurses' myths that get repeated over and over until no one questions it anymore.

{Partner to DH  and Former WOHM, now SAHM  to DD, DD , and DS } *** ***
#64 of 83 Old 12-10-2008, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So what about a GD momma having a 8. 9oz babe? My sis did yesterday, right at 40 wks! I guess weight is just not a good indicator.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#65 of 83 Old 12-11-2008, 08:57 AM

my last two were 9 lb 15 oz and 10 lb 8 oz. I have never been diabetic. Never had GD. Been tested and passed every single time.

For me, i am sure, sure that people assume GD (and high blood pressure) because I'm very obese. I love my midwives but it always bothered me that they *assumed* GD and acted shocked every time I had perfect bp.
#66 of 83 Old 12-11-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post
For me, i am sure, sure that people assume GD (and high blood pressure) because I'm very obese. I love my midwives but it always bothered me that they *assumed* GD and acted shocked every time I had perfect bp.
:

My OBGYN made me take the GT test twice she was so convinced I was GD. First at about 12 wks, then again at 28wks just because my babe was large for dates.

I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#67 of 83 Old 12-11-2008, 01:27 PM

that's just strange to make a blanket statement like that. i'm very fit, and dd2 was 9lbs 2oz, and 22.5" long. i was nowhere near having GD. some ppl just grow bigger babies.
#68 of 83 Old 12-11-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazerific View Post
that's just strange to make a blanket statement like that. i'm very fit, and dd2 was 9lbs 2oz, and 22.5" long. i was nowhere near having GD. some ppl just grow bigger babies.
Yep, my Ob just shakes his head at little ole' me because I had such "big" babies (I still don't think 9lbs are all THAT big) but then again maybe I should not have been snacking on that Miracle Grow........
#69 of 83 Old 12-11-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapersmion View Post
I was 9 lbs 12 oz, and my mom is DEFINITELY not diabetic in any way. She's never even been overweight.
What does her weight have to do with whether she's "diabetic in any way"? I've had two friends who were/are diabetic in my life, and neither of them was overweight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post
:
I heard a nurse tell another nurse that ds2 was an "obvious case of missed GD". Right. I passed your stupid test, and my son is healthy as a horse...but I'm fat, and he's big, so I must have gestational diabetes. It's no wonder they assume fat women with large babies have GD - if you're fat and have a big baby, they retroactively diagnose you with it!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#70 of 83 Old 12-11-2008, 08:38 PM

I just had my third "big baby" - 10lbs 13ozs and still no GD/diabetes. My two previous babies were 9lbs 6ozs and 9lbs 10ozs and no GD/diabetes.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#71 of 83 Old 12-11-2008, 09:00 PM

Boy do I ever understand the misconception that all diabetics are overweight... Of course, almost all T1s are not overweight, but I happen to be one who is. I also have the test results to prove that I have T1, because doctors never believe that I could possibly be a T1, that I *must* be a T2...ugh. I also know plenty of T2s who are not overweight in the least. Their bodies just don't manage glucose well.
#72 of 83 Old 12-11-2008, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

: OMGsh. I'm just tired of hearing remarks about it.

(With a knowing smile) "Honey, you need to watch your sugar intake next time around"

"I think you need to seek medical attention! Diabetes is very dangerous!"

"That's what you get for eating junk food!"

So maybe in the last month, I gave in to some comfort foods....icecream was a big one. And there was a time in the end of the 1st tri where I wanted kentucky fried chicken and poptarts. But I still did not even eat the quantity I eat when I am not pregnant.

I really, really focused on having a supremely healthy diet. I supplemented. I did organics. I charted and researched and counted. Agh! It's as if they are discounting all my hard work, making me to be an overweight junk food hog who ruined her kid!

: And this to someone who was so skinny before pregnancy that people would use the word "anorexic" to describe me!

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#73 of 83 Old 12-11-2008, 11:47 PM

My third child was 9lbs 1.5 oz at birth. I never had GD. The truth is he was never chubby. He was born with these huge feet and hands and ears and nose. He's nearly 7 years old now and finally grown into them! (And yes that does mean he's quite tall for his age too). He was just meant to be big. None of my other kids (so far) have come close. I did eat a LOT more protein when I was pregnant with him, but it was the only way to keep from passing out all the time.

My mother in law had 7 kids and I think her smallest was nearly 9 lbs. All the rest were over 10 lbs.

Sometimes it's just genetics. Ain't nothing wrong with that.
#74 of 83 Old 01-04-2009, 07:53 PM

My first baby was 9lbs, 13oz. I was 15 years old when I gave birth to her, eating mostly vegetarian, and had a short, drug free labor. I was only 120lbs or so at the time of her birth. I was certainly not diabetic and was/am very healthy. Consequently the rest of my children were 6lbs 15oz, 8lbs 8.5oz, 4lbs 9oz, and 3lbs 12oz.

The funny thing was that my nurse kept telling me that I wasn't eating enough because I wasn't eating meat and that my baby was going to be unhealthy and small. She was all 10's on the apgar and the only negative to that drug free birth (I was told over and over that I'd never accomplish that too) was that I had lost a lot of blood and kept fainting. However, once I got home (and I had to fight to let me go home because I was fainting frequently) I was fine. That almost 10lb baby is now a 5'11", 140lb 16 year old girl. She's also not diabetic, lol.
#75 of 83 Old 01-04-2009, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wende View Post
The funny thing was that my nurse kept telling me that I wasn't eating enough because I wasn't eating meat and that my baby was going to be unhealthy and small.
Isn't that something? I'm vegetarian, and ever since my 10lb1oz babe was born to non-GD me, relatives have laid off the nagging about my not eating meat. Clearly my kid got what she needed and then some!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#76 of 83 Old 01-05-2009, 11:06 PM

I have a friend who has big babies. They weigh a lot, but they're also really long, so proportional, not hugely chubby. This makes sense since my friend is 6 ft tall and her dh is 6'7". But every time she and her babies has had to be tested for diabetes. The doctors even admit that they know that's not the reason, it's clearly genetic, but they do it anyway!:
#77 of 83 Old 01-06-2009, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My DS was 10 lbs 6.5 oz and no diabetes here!

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#78 of 83 Old 01-06-2009, 03:20 PM

I am 5'2" 95lbs pre-pregnancy and my husband is not a giant either. I vaginally birthed a 9lb 2oz girl and a 9lb 8 oz girl and I am NOT diabetic and I don't eat a lot of meat and I did not take prenatals either (I just could not find one that would not hurt my tummy) Sometimes it is just genetics.
#79 of 83 Old 01-06-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
i've known quite a few people who had babies over 9 lbs. And none of them were diabetic. That's a bunch of bs.
this!
#80 of 83 Old 01-06-2009, 03:26 PM

my last baby was 9#3oz... and after seeing him after birth, evne the nurse thinks that my "due date" was off by a week or more and he was just a late baby. But his sugar levels were still tested (his, not mine).. and i never had GD with ANY of my kids (though diabets runs rampet in both me and DH's family - so i did appericate the concern at the time)

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#81 of 83 Old 01-06-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwogirls View Post
I am 5'2" 95lbs pre-pregnancy and my husband is not a giant either. I vaginally birthed a 9lb 2oz girl and a 9lb 8 oz girl
Holy smokes! Could you please send your birth videos to the AGA to teach them about the amazing female pelvis?!! I'm surprised you didn't get thrown the CPD card!

#82 of 83 Old 01-06-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
Holy smokes! Could you please send your birth videos to the AGA to teach them about the amazing female pelvis?!! I'm surprised you didn't get thrown the CPD card!
Yeah I am pretty proud of my pelvis Let me tell ya, they can be quite flexible when they need to be. I am lucky I have such a great doc. My first babe was posterior as well and after three hours of pushing the "c" word was never mentioned and I was able to birth her just fine. My second girl basically did the cha-cha out the birth canal though
#83 of 83 Old 01-06-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwogirls View Post
My second girl basically did the cha-cha out the birth canal though

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page