Lots of braxton hicks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-13-2008, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been having a ton of braxton hicks since Tuesday. It makes me feel somewhat impatient for the baby to come. I know I need to relax and just wait but it's hard. Any advice on how to wait it out and what I should really be looking for as a sign to show that labor has actually started?

I read somewhere that braxton hicks only harden the stomach and you can't feel them in your back and that real contractions can be felt in the back first then in the stomach. Is this true?

I had my first child at 38 weeks +2 if I remember right. I don't know if this means anything or not. I'm 37 +6 right now.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2008, 03:51 AM

With my last pregnancy I had Braxton-Hicks since week 26. I went into labor 11 days past my due date. For the week or so prior to labor, I'd have BH daily, and they would be strong (had to stop, lean over, couldn't talk) and were regular at 6 or 8 minutes apart for several hours. I'd think "woohoo, this is it!", then they'd peter out. Oh well.... Good practice for my uterus. When I finally went into labor, it was a sudden transition to crampy contractions after 9 hours of 6 minute BH.

I guess I consider BH to be a normal activity for a toned uterus. They may or may not be beginning labor. I didn't notice a difference in the tightening starting from the front or back with either type of contraction. It was a difference in the quality or type - crampy vs tight.

I remember being so excited to meet DS. However, I also kept telling him to make sure he was fully ready and not to come early just because I wanted him to.

: DS - June '07 : DS2 - May '09 : (may be delayed a really long time!)
Old 12-15-2008, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTmorgan View Post
With my last pregnancy I had Braxton-Hicks since week 26. I went into labor 11 days past my due date. For the week or so prior to labor, I'd have BH daily, and they would be strong (had to stop, lean over, couldn't talk) and were regular at 6 or 8 minutes apart for several hours. I'd think "woohoo, this is it!", then they'd peter out. Oh well.... Good practice for my uterus. When I finally went into labor, it was a sudden transition to crampy contractions after 9 hours of 6 minute BH.

I guess I consider BH to be a normal activity for a toned uterus. They may or may not be beginning labor. I didn't notice a difference in the tightening starting from the front or back with either type of contraction. It was a difference in the quality or type - crampy vs tight.

I remember being so excited to meet DS. However, I also kept telling him to make sure he was fully ready and not to come early just because I wanted him to.
Thanks for your answer. I still am having lots of those braxton hicks but it hasn't become worse or anything so I'm guessing my body is just preparing. Sometimes I have them as close together as every 5 minutes but they have not gotten more intense so it's still not labor. I'm a little hopeful this baby will come out this week because I had my last kid a little over 38 weeks but despite my hopes I would be fine to pregnant for a couple more weeks if it means my baby will be more healthy.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

Old 12-20-2008, 02:01 PM

I had BH with my 3rd baby from about 8 weeks on. They got a bit stronger as the pregnancy progressed and certain things would trigger them. If I were moody or anxious or overwhelmed or the kids were cranky or anything, they'd start up. The night my car got broken into and my purse stollen (around 5 mos pregnant), I had them like crazy and only a hot bath would make them stop. Also drinking lots and lots and lots of water helped.

They don't guarantee a faster labor or faster dilation. They do tone the uterus though. Good luck!

hang.gif  

Old 12-22-2008, 04:07 AM

i've been having lots of them lately too! plus some very mild period-like cramps in my lower abdomen, but it's been stopping & starting for a few days now. with my last babe, i got a little bit of BH, but not a whole lot. once my labour started, it really started full force. these frequent & fairly strong BH along with the mild cramps have me feeling a bit hesitant that this babe might do that annoying stop-start labour that lasts for ages! hoping not =)

mama to 2 busy boys (may 2007 & december 2008)
Old 12-22-2008, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dziwozony View Post
i've been having lots of them lately too! plus some very mild period-like cramps in my lower abdomen, but it's been stopping & starting for a few days now. with my last babe, i got a little bit of BH, but not a whole lot. once my labour started, it really started full force. these frequent & fairly strong BH along with the mild cramps have me feeling a bit hesitant that this babe might do that annoying stop-start labour that lasts for ages! hoping not =)
Yeah, I'm still having the braxton hicks now and sometimes they can be painful but they don't seem to be leading to anything yet. It stinks Hopefully the baby wants out soon.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:04 PM

just to update, i had my babe 5 days later! and it wasn't a stop-start labour at all, so lots of braxton hicks doesn't necessarily mean that.

mama to 2 busy boys (may 2007 & december 2008)
Old 01-17-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dziwozony View Post
just to update, i had my babe 5 days later! and it wasn't a stop-start labour at all, so lots of braxton hicks doesn't necessarily mean that.

Frist of all, congratulations on your babe. Have a wonderful time.

With DS I had BHC from 26 weeks on, I was induced 3 days after due date. With DD I felt the first BH at 10 weeks and they got VERY painful toward the end. I was - again - induced 5 days after my due date. Even though everybody was panicky that I would go into labor prematurely because of the BH (with DS) I doesn't really mean that you actually will.

joy.gif

User Tag List