summaries of articles on c-sec - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-02-2003, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There was just an article in Baby Talk about women asking for C-sections and getting them. This article claims that "Although c-sections pose more risks to mothers (such as post surgery bleeding or infection), they reduce birth-related risks to the baby and potential long-term side effects of vaginal deliveries, such as incontinence, for moms.
'There is no evidence to refute the statement that the safest delivery method for a baby is by elective c-section at 39 to 40 weeks,' says W. Benson Harer, M.D., medical director for Riverside County Regional Medical Center in Moreno Valley, CA. 'Casarean delivery is also more protective of the pelvic organs, with less risk of problems for the mother in bowel and bladder control.'
But, according to Carl Weiner, M.D., professor of obstetrics, gynecology and reproductive sciences at the U of MD in Baltimore, 'those conclusions have been poorly studied and may well be wrong.' What's more, the process of labor itself may be beneficial to babies. 'It's not clear why, but babies born by c-section have an increased risk of breathing problems,' he says."

Oh, and this article was opposite a Bright Beginnings formula ad with Brooke Shields.

If you want to write to Baby Talk, their address is:
530 Fifth Ave, 3rd floor
NY, NY 10036

Another article in American Baby claims that research shows that C-secs are better for breech babies. The article says that you should have a c-sec with a breech baby if they can't turn it head down. It really disturbes me that obstetricians are not trained to attend breech birth, only to cut the baby out.

If you want to write to AB:
125 Park Ave.
NY, NY 10017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 12-02-2003, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks...as soon as I stop crying I'll put together my thoughts in the form of a letter...how sad for the women who believe this crap.

edited to say, Julie128, I always laugh when I read your signature line!

DS 12 DS 9 DD 6
#3 of 5 Old 12-03-2003, 11:52 AM

i read the article about c-secs for breeches.

but doesnt a baby have MORE risk of dying if born by c-sec, whether it's breech or not?

yes the fact that obs know how to cut out a baby but not deliver it's cute lil butt disturbs me also. the whole medicalization of birth disturbs me and makes me wanna cry!
#4 of 5 Old 12-06-2003, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by omegamama
edited to say, Julie128, I always laugh when I read your signature line!
Thanks for the pick-me-up. I was thinking about changing it, but now I'm going to keep it.
#5 of 5 Old 12-07-2003, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fyrflymommy

yes the fact that obs know how to cut out a baby but not deliver it's cute lil butt disturbs me also. the whole medicalization of birth disturbs me and makes me wanna cry!
I find this disturbing, too.

What I find promising is that I just discovered that at a nearby teaching hospital, women who have a breech baby have the option of a vaginal birth. This is good, as this is a major medical school in our area, and hopefully those docs come out knowing a little about breech, and having less fear.

I don't know any of the details (like if there is one old curmugeon doc on staff who still prefers breech vaginal to c-section, or what), but it was encouraging to find out that at least some of those residents are being educated on breech vaginal birth.

If your baby is ever breech, I cannot recommend to you enough to over and over emphasize how dedicated youa re to a vaginal birth, evenif the babe is breech. Read, read, read about the risks of vag breech, so that when your doc discusses them, you can say "Yes, I know, but I still feel this way (if that is indeed how you feel). " I know of a few docs in our area who will do breech vaginal birth, but only in moms who are truly dedicated to a natural, unmedicated, vaginal birth. A mom who is simply scared of surgery is NOT a breech candidate. A mom who has educated herself about her childbirth choices, and *chooses* a breech birth *is* a candidate. I know that there are physicians in our area who will call the ONE doc on staff at the hospital who WILL do breech birth if the mom demands it enough. That doc will often come in even if he is not on call.

Sometimes the option is htere, but you have to kick and scream for it.

Lori

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page