Tell me why low-tech is better? (aka convince me the MW is the right choice) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, after getting al fired up, my wallet hurts. Apparently they could cost me up to $2k WITH my awesome insurance (that would cover 100% of shiny place)
SIGH
Anyhoo--
I will look at Blockbuster online again, last time I looked they didnt have it. :/
Otherwise I will buy it through iTunes- I just found it there.

Kelly, mama to DD energy.gif : (3-30-06) and DS bouncy.gif 7/28/09) ....and gummi, due 3-30-13! (large sch....praying.gif)

#32 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 04:36 PM

You can appeal to your insurance. Many companies initially say no, but after being presented with how much cheaper it will be for them, many offer coverage. Seen it happen several times at the birth center.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#33 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

I just pm'ed ya nummies

Kelly, mama to DD energy.gif : (3-30-06) and DS bouncy.gif 7/28/09) ....and gummi, due 3-30-13! (large sch....praying.gif)

#34 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
OP - sounds like your husband and all the pp's are giving you some great advice!

I don't think I saw this mentioned, but there is a new film called Pregnant in America http://www.pregnantinamerica.com/ that looks really good. I have just seen the preview but they mention the bright, shiny hospital issue.

#35 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 05:14 PM

my first birth was in a shiny hospital with all the new gadgets (especially the new birthing bed they raved about ) and my subsequent births were at home with a midwife. my first birth ended in a section and i spent almost 3 years grieving and healing from that birth. i happily paid out of pocket for my next 3 homebirths, even when i was in no financial position to do so for 2 of them, but for my mental sanity, it was definitely worth it.

low-tech does not mean inadequate or inferior care. and you won't notice the old decor when you are in labor either there are so many great video and book recommendations here, i think once you learn more about the 2 models of care you will feel more comfortable with midwifery care.

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#36 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykins View Post
Well, after getting al fired up, my wallet hurts. Apparently they could cost me up to $2k WITH my awesome insurance (that would cover 100% of shiny place)
SIGH
Ain't no such thing as a free lunch!
#37 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Banned

You already got such great advice! I hope the insurance thing works out. I just wanted to tell my story in case it helps anyone else.

I got pregnant through IVF after 9 long years of various infertility treatments. We changed REs (reproductive endocrinologists) several times. I really wanted "shiney and cutting edge!" After all we had a medical disease and I wanted the best science had to offer to "cure" us.

When I got pregnant (yeah!! I didn't feel like pregnancy was a medical disease like infertility is. It is natural and healthy and didn't call for shiney any more.

People always are weirded out that I saw doctors once a day for a month and shot myself up with every drug imaginable AND underwent surgery/anesthesia to get pregnant but don't want any of those things for childbirth. IDK, it make sense to me! Shiney and Science have their place but not the miracle of (normal) conception or (normal) birth. I didn't get to do the first one normally so I'm striving for the second!
#38 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 06:01 PM

The responses here are so great, I have nothing really to add other than this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arCITMfxvEc

*PING!*
#39 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 06:20 PM

So often the bright shiny new lures us in, like fishing tackle.

But, really, we want a snuggle at grandma's house.

My friend went to "the best hospital in the country" and had an ok-ish, medicated, epi-d, medical students checking her, birth.

Shiny new ain't all that but it sure does look pretty on the outside.

(save the technology for if you have to use it, it is called for sometimes, then you'll be glad, if you don't need it, enjoy a visit to grandma's house)

Babybel 8/5/08. Growing her sister: ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40*
#40 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Dia

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbanmama View Post
The responses here are so great, I have nothing really to add other than this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arCITMfxvEc

*PING!*
Herbanmama...

Mama to one amazing ecbaby2.gif
#41 of 49 Old 01-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbanmama View Post

*PING!*
#42 of 49 Old 01-07-2009, 12:32 AM

Watch Orgasmic Birth. If after that movie, you don't understand how high-tech interventions and the act of just walking through the hospitals doors make birth less safe, then nothing will!

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#43 of 49 Old 01-07-2009, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaigeC View Post
I didnt even have to click, I knew, just by the PING!!! that that was the Monty Python sketch!!! BWAHAHAH!

#44 of 49 Old 01-07-2009, 03:06 AM

:

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#45 of 49 Old 01-09-2009, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Sitting down to start watching The Business of Bieng born now!!!

#46 of 49 Old 01-09-2009, 11:12 PM

OP: I haven't read more than the first few posts. I'm not going to give you the reasoned, logical response. Instead, I'm going to provide emotional food for thought:

I've had four children. The first three times I was seeing a doctor - my GP, with OB consultation on the 2nd and 3rd (because my first was a c-section...as were all the others). With my fourth, I saw a midwife. I lost that baby, but I lost it after a hospital transfer, and it's not really clear to anybody what happened.

The midwife I was seeing with Aaron came by here on the 6 month anniversary of his death, with some live flowers - tulips - for me, and treat for dd (it was her birthday). We still talk by email sometimes and I feel that she's truly a friend. My GP (actually, his wife, also an MD, because he doesn't handle obstetrics patients, anymore) is a lovely woman, and I believe she truly has the best interests of her "patients" at heart.

Nonetheless, I could walk into my midwife's office today, and be completely at ease. I can't even sleep the night before a doctor's appointment. I expect to be largely disregarded as a person, and have my emotional needs ignored. It's not out of malice - it's just the way it works. There are several reasons I'm staying with medical care this time, but what I really want is to chuck the whole thing, go back to the midwife, and never set foot in a hospital while pregnant again - not to birth, not for a check-up - nothing. The doctors and hospital may or may not cut a healthy baby out of me in June - but they cut up a healthy mom and psychologically destroyed her (me) a long time ago, and have been twisting the knife ever since.

I had a say with my midwife. I have none with the medpros.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#47 of 49 Old 01-10-2009, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

The midwife I was seeing with Aaron came by here on the 6 month anniversary of his death, with some live flowers - tulips - for me, and treat for dd (it was her birthday). We still talk by email sometimes and I feel that she's truly a friend.
Oh my. What a touching gesture.

Quote:
Nonetheless, I could walk into my midwife's office today, and be completely at ease. I can't even sleep the night before a doctor's appointment. I expect to be largely disregarded as a person, and have my emotional needs ignored. It's not out of malice - it's just the way it works.
That's another thing I love about home midwives. My midwife for DS2's birth knows me inside and out (literally, ) and, like you, I feel like she is a friend. I even bought her a Christmas present.

Whereas the CNM who attended DS1's hospital birth didn't even recognize me when I saw her for my first prenatal appointment with my second pregnancy. She walked in and said, "Hi, I'm ____, I don't think we've met." DS1 was sitting right beside me, and I patted his knee and said, "Actually we have, you delivered this little guy." She was speechless for a good 10 seconds or so.

It's just the nature of the beast when it comes to care providers who have such a large volume of clients. When you're just another face in the crowd, expect to be treated like one.
#48 of 49 Old 01-10-2009, 04:03 PM

RE: cost of birth, you get what you pay for. I know it sucks that your ins will cover a hospital birth 100% but you will enjoy Grandma House () more.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#49 of 49 Old 01-11-2009, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Totally and completely irked (to say the least) at the insurance industry more than anything after watching Business. Totally not on the fence about who I'm using for my birth/pregnancy care--midwife hands down!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page