do you really have to wait 6 weeks to have sex - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 01-10-2009, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im going on two weeks postpartum and not that i am ready now, but do you really have to wait 6 weeks postpartum to have sex again. I feel great and ready but 6 weeks seems like a long ways away..
#2 of 19 Old 01-10-2009, 02:57 AM

I dont think you really do. I read that some people are healthy enough for intercourse as early as 3 weeks but NO SOONER than that b/c of your uterus readjusting, etc. Its just that typically your post partum check-up is scheduled for 6 weeks after delivery and "they" think you should be cleared by a doc to prevent infection. Also most people are good to go for sure by 6 weeks so its the standard just to be safe.

It also depends on how severe your laceration (if you had one) was. I was NOT ready for vaginal sex even after 6 weeks. It hurt too bad and I only had a 1st degree laceration. My doc said "listen to your body" so I would guess that would mean your body should tell you if you arent ready, as in it will be painful. So just be sure to stop if there's any pain and be aware that you run the risk of infection.
#3 of 19 Old 01-10-2009, 03:15 AM

No. I've known people ready at a week

-Angela
#4 of 19 Old 01-10-2009, 08:27 AM

I was never told I couldn't do it for any particular time, though I was told to use condoms before 8 weeks since I had a cesarean.
#5 of 19 Old 01-10-2009, 09:22 AM

I don't think you do. After my third child I asked the doctor "how soon?" and her answer was "It depends if you have a private or semiprivate hospital room"
Personally I'm a "wait at least six weeks" person but that's because I didn't want to before then. I think listening to your body is the key.

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#6 of 19 Old 01-10-2009, 09:37 AM

With DD (2nd LO), we went for it (slowly and gently) after a week and a half. Wasn't expecting this, but the mood struck and we rolled with it. I think the PP who said "listen to your body" has got it right. If it doesn't feel good, stop or switch to something that does
#7 of 19 Old 01-10-2009, 10:08 AM

I think we waited not-quite 3 weeks. I definitely felt I was ready to give it a shot at that point. My mw said that the only important things in determining when it was ok to dtd were that I really wanted to do it (not just feeling pressured) and that we were willing to call it quits if I did start to feel pain or discomfort.

Mama to DD : 09/08
#8 of 19 Old 01-10-2009, 10:12 AM

If you have a real desire, it is fine to have sex as soon afterwards as you feel ready. If it hurts, then stop, but you can let your body guide your sense of being ready. It always depends on a woman's birth and how her tissue heals and her own hormonal mix - some women have no interest for months, others are interested right away.

Congrats on your baby!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#9 of 19 Old 01-10-2009, 11:50 AM

If you had any stitches I would wait! We DTD at 3 weeks pp, and I tore all my stitches open, and then we had to wait ANOTHER 6 weeks to let it all heal. (It didn't hurt, but left things down there kind of "funny".

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#10 of 19 Old 01-10-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_ani View Post
I don't think you do. After my third child I asked the doctor "how soon?" and her answer was "It depends if you have a private or semiprivate hospital room"

I think the message there is listen to YOUR body (I hear too many stories of women listening to their partner's body!!). Personally, I was only ready for super-slow-and-gentle and 8 weeks, but that was me.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#11 of 19 Old 01-10-2009, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I would--next time--didn't wait and got an infection. I got this really brutal infection that lasted 8 months (!) because I didn't know it was an infection. It just made intercourse hurt like crazy and I figured I was STILL healing. But finally when I went to the midwives and insisted that something was wrong, they did a culture and found the infection (cleared up easily with a week of abx cream.) So, next time, I'd wait. The sex was SO not worth it! lol

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#12 of 19 Old 01-10-2009, 05:20 PM

The only thing my doctor told me about pp sex was, if it's before your 6 week checkup use condoms just in case.

obstruct livery vehicles

#13 of 19 Old 01-10-2009, 05:25 PM

I am not a respecter of doctors... so even if they told me to wait ...HA...
I do what I want... I think women *know* when the right time is... and no doctor knows the first thing about that...
That being said:
Do it when you want to....1week...6weeks....6months... you do your husband when you are good and ready.

The end.
Tricia

momma to 7
:
#14 of 19 Old 01-10-2009, 05:29 PM

My MW cleared me at 2 weeks PP. Said I was all healed up. Tried it at around 2 1/2 weeks or 3 weeks PP, and it was painful. But then again, it's still just as painful now. lol.

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#15 of 19 Old 01-10-2009, 06:20 PM

Whatever you decide, remember that you could already be fertile.
#16 of 19 Old 01-10-2009, 06:25 PM

we never waited 6 weeks... but I had c-sections so no stitching or soreness --in that area. I think it's important to be healed internally, though, because of the risk of infection. It's hard to say because everyone is different, I'm guessing that is why the '6 week' wait and because it's generally when you go in for your pp check-up.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#17 of 19 Old 01-10-2009, 09:15 PM

I cannot imagine waiting that long. I never waited more than a week.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#18 of 19 Old 01-10-2009, 09:24 PM

I waited more than 3 months after DS, but I had some stitches and tearing and even then, it hurt some.

With DD, I think it was a little sooner, but definitely longer than 6 weeks.

Just listen to your body and if it hurts, stop. And another note, not all sex involves intercourse - there are lots of other things y'all could do!

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#19 of 19 Old 01-10-2009, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to Birth and Beyond.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page