hypnobirthing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-08-2003, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I am currently TTC #2 and I am interesting in hypnobirthing classes. I ended up giving in to an epidural with DD and really want a drug free birth this time. I was interested in anyone who had tried hypnobirthing...postive or negative thoughts.
Thanks!
Amy

Amy mama to Emily love.gif & Ben fencing.gif

#2 of 8 Old 12-08-2003, 11:53 PM

i tried to use hb with ds, but i could only concentrate during the first half of labor. then we went to the hospital and by the time they were done with all their questioning and hooking me up to monitors and blabla, i just couldn't get myself to focus on the breathing anymore...
also i took the class when i was 8 mos prego and that is just not enough time to practice the relaxation. you need to practice every day.
i will give it another shot with babe #2 and hopefully get our schedule on track soon, so i can already start practicing, got til may...
i can only recommend it, even though i didn't go through with it til the end.
#3 of 8 Old 12-09-2003, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just got this emailed to me from my HypnoBirthing instructor.

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercuryne...al/7441232.htm

Let's just say that birth #2 was a million times better than non-HB birth #1. "I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger."

Edited to add: Yvonne in the article says that she can get you a referal, if you need. I think there is a link to her website in the article. I think it's sjhypnobirth.com, if it's not.
#4 of 8 Old 12-09-2003, 11:07 AM

There was a thread on this a few weeks ago. HOpe it
helps.
http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...threadid=94037
#5 of 8 Old 12-13-2003, 04:48 AM

I had a completely painfree 18-20 hour labor in the hospital thanks to it (first baby).

The first few contractions (surges) hurt a lot because I was tensing up... it took me a few minutes to focus my mind on what I was supposed to do (go limp like a rag doll). As soon as I started doing that, I was fine. Seriously, it did not hurt again. I love HypnoBirthing! I highly recommend it!

You can read about my experience in this thread:
Tell Me More About HypnoBirthing

I took Marie Mongan's course with a real Hypnotherapist (not some RN or Doula with no hypnosis background who just took the course.) You can e-mail the website for a referral in your area. Then get referrals from that person.

When I talked to my HB practioner on the phone for the first time, my instincts were screaming at me that this was a "go"! i.e., that I found someone good and I should sign up for the class. I took the class one month before my due date and did great - you have to practice daily.

Anyway, another option is HypnoBabies.com. They offer a self-study-at-home course that is WAAAAAAY MORE in depth (you'll get more scripts) than Marie Mongan's course. Ideally, you take a class with someone great. If no one great is near you, then sign up for HypnoBabies. Hypnobabies also has a yahoo discussion group for members (I think.)

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#6 of 8 Old 12-13-2003, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can anyone share how much they paid for their classes or home study courses?

Thanks!
#7 of 8 Old 12-13-2003, 01:38 PM

I paid $250 for my HypnoBirthing class (4 classes 2-4 couples only - it's kept small.) That was fine with me. My Bradley class cost $150 (10 classes or something, 10 couples.)

My instructor charged more ($250? can't remember) if you wanted her to attend the birth. I opted for that since I didn't know what to expect (it was my first birth). Turns out I found her talking to me annoying (I was doing great on my own) so I was trying to tune her out. She did stop talking to me.

Regretably, even 3.5 years ago, a lot of practioners in big cities charged $500 for the class, which I think is way too high for most people.

I'm not sure how much HypnoBabies cost, but I think it's a lot cheaper.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#8 of 8 Old 12-16-2003, 03:49 AM

Hi and thanks to Tanya for posting about our free Hypnobabies e-mail group. We have about 300 women on it all using hypnosis for childbirth and there is great support, a lot of information, free hypnosis scripts for all and some terrific hypno-birth stories.

Kerry
www.hypnobabies.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page