low blood pressure at 40 wks preg - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-09-2003, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HI, I just visited my midwife, am about 40 wks pregnant and my blood pressure is 90/60 today, kind of low. She said I better get i up or else....(very encouraging)

I don't recall having this problem with my first pregnancy 2 yrs ago, any ideas/tips on what I can do to rectify the situation so that I can have my baby G-d willing safely and naturally?
#2 of 5 Old 12-09-2003, 11:04 AM

I'm going to make a copy of your thread over to the
I'm Pregnant forum so it can be seen in both forums!
If you are 40 weeks then it sounds like you need some
info fast!

Good luck!
#3 of 5 Old 12-09-2003, 12:57 PM

Hey there, I am a nurse at a birthing center. I'm not sure what the problem is with your blood pressure, unless this is a drastic decrease from your usual readings. We have many people that have low bp during pregnancy. If you aren't getting light headed, seeing stars, or passing out when you stand up, then what exactly is the problem? If bp goes *too* low there is concern about the uterus getting enough blood circulation; but if your blood pressure is normally low, then it is what your body is used to.

If you are anticipating (or if your mw is) the use of epidural during labor, then maybe that is where the problem lies, as an epidural causes a mother's blood pressure to drop.

Keep yourself *very* well hydrated, with the vast majority of your fluid intake coming from water. Eat *tons* of protein. Good quality protein, not just animal protein. In addition to yogurt, cheese, milk, and meats, add lots of beans, tofu, tempeh, soymilk, nuts, oatmeal, whole grains, and brown rice to your diet. Nutritional yeast can be put into smoothies to increase protein. You can also grind up some flax seeds in a coffee mill; use a tablespoon a day for the first two days (you can add it to your oatmeal) and then increase it to 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons each day. Anything more than this might give you colon blow (though most moms might actually want this late in pregnancy...), so proceed carefully!

Your midwife owes you an explanation. Why was she concerned? Was she just joking? If so, bad joke. If not, what exactly does she suggest you do to increase your bp? How can you tell someone to increase their blood pressure, but not give any suggestions for this? That sure doesn't seem very helpful! But I also know that sometimes comments can be completely misconstrued. So give her a call. Tell her your concerned about that part of the discussion. Is she truly concerned about your blood pressure? Why? What suggestions does she offer? Communication is key in your relationship, and it goes both ways. Sometimes it is easier to facilitate than others, though. : I'm sorry she has you concerned; I hope it doesn't affect the last days of your pregnancy or your labor.

Good luck! Enjoy these last couple of days. Let us know when you have welcomed your child to the world!

Lori
#4 of 5 Old 12-09-2003, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your informative post Lori! I don't know what my b/p is when not pregnant, nor do I plan on having an epidural...thing is, I live in Italy now and everyone here tends to be very alarmist...the midwife situation here is not ideal to say the least, but this midwife works in a hospital where they make the least interventions and tend to give more space to the birthing mom (they better!).

She didn't give me any solutions, she just asked if I am eating and walking [yes], and I mentioned that my toddler kept me up these past few nights as he has a cold, she said I should make sure to get some sleep.

Anyway, I sure miss the States now...Thanks again Lori for your tips, I will follow...
#5 of 5 Old 12-09-2003, 06:43 PM

My BP is normally 90/60 (and remained so throughout my pgys). I've had four children naturally/vaginally/no drugs and with no problems.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page