Losing some mucus plug early - does it mean anything? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-15-2009, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not due until Feb. 9 or 11 (depending on who you ask), so almost a month away. On Monday I went in to the midwife for my GBS test and she checked me and said I was 1cm dilated and 50% effaced.

Today I passed a piece of my mucus plug - a teaspoon or so of mucus, with a little bit of blood. It was nowhere near the whole plug, I know. But doesn't it seem awfully early to be losing pieces? How much time would you expect to pass between starting to lose the mucus plug and going into labor? I'm freaking out a little here.

Edited to add: Hey, I'm a Senior Member and I didn't even notice! Awesome!

Alexandra 4.11.05 and Colin 2.9.09. Click on my name to visit my homeschooling blog.
#2 of 10 Old 01-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Banned

I've heard that losing the mucous plug is a more reliable sign of imminent labor in first-time moms than in multi-paras. Even in first-timers, it doesn't mean labor is anywhere near, and is generally interpreted to mean that labor is likely to start within the next three weeks. It can re-grow, and you can lose it more than once. I am not any kind of professional, but if it were me I wouldn't worry about this particular sign unless you have a lot of bloody show or contractions along with it.

My second dd was about 3 weeks early - which is about how far from your due date you appear to be right now - and did fine, so that experience makes your mucous plug sound less alarming to me as well. That said, she did have some pretty bad jaundice and using the bili blanket was an anxiety-inducing PITA, so I'd encourage you to take things as easy as you can for a bit just to make sure you get as close to your due date as possible, if not past it.
#3 of 10 Old 01-15-2009, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I lost my mucous plug with my first pg at 33/34 weeks (I can't remember now!), she was born at 38 weeks. For me, the plug means nothing. I lose them early, but I also dilate early as well, no preterm labor. I just go into labor with a slight head start.

Just the mucous plug with no other signs isn't a need to worry.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 10 Old 01-15-2009, 06:18 PM

With my first I lost my mucus plug at 34 weeks, stayed pregnant another 6 weeks if that makes you feel better. I've been told but haven't read so I could very well be wrong, that mucus plugs can regenerate themselves? Hope baby stays put until s/he is ready!

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#5 of 10 Old 01-16-2009, 02:31 AM

I had some bloody show/mucous at 32 weeks this pregnancy (#4). 3 weeks later, I'm still very much pregnant with no signs of that changing anytime soon.

Homeschooling Mom of 4 boys: 10/02, 6/04, 3/06, 2/09
#6 of 10 Old 01-16-2009, 02:41 AM

Nope.. I wouldn't look into it much.. I've lost my plug with most of mine and didn't go into labor until WEEKS later.

~*Candice*~
Wife, Doula and SAHM to six and expecting a new addition July 2012!namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gif

#7 of 10 Old 01-16-2009, 02:58 AM

I lost mine with dd2 very early on, around 24 weeks. It apparently regenerated because I lost it again right before I had her at 42 weeks!
#8 of 10 Old 01-16-2009, 03:03 AM

i have lost parts of my mucus plug after dtd at 8 and 12 weeks. it didn't mean anything in my case.
#9 of 10 Old 01-17-2009, 12:27 AM

I think everyone is so different on this...it's just so hard to tell b/c of that. With mine each time I lost it I started labor and delivered that day. I was 40 weeks or even past when that happened tho.
#10 of 10 Old 01-17-2009, 03:38 AM

The mucous plug can come and go, and it can re-make itself and come some more. I lost mine at 41 weeks and he was born 27 hours later.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page