Did your ob require continuous monitoring? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 01-26-2009, 03:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nope. She asked for about a minute or two near the end of labor, but as soon as I wanted it off I just took it off.

They stuck to my birthplan and never once even suggested something that I didn't want.

Basically they just sat and watched and when the baby came out (while I was standing outside the bathroom door) the dove in and caught her (after I initially held her head in LOL!)

No IV (or hep lock) either and I went home the same day a few hours later. Oh she also mentioned that I was group B strep + near the end but agreed it was too late for anything anyway and just let it go.

This was my fourth baby. They were aware that I had a previous waterbirth (birthcenter) and homebirth (that turned out to be UC). I think they figured I knew what I was doing.

Grace - photographer, wife and mom to 4 great kids (Ethan 5.00, Ainsley 4.02, Owen 12.04, and Ellis Ann 10.07) :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 41 Old 01-26-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Did your OB require continuous monitoring?

Okay, this is kind of funny, when I read the question in the thread title I thought you were asking about whether laboring mamas had to "continuously monitor" their OB's - like, making sure they didn't break your water during a routine VE or slip pitocin in your IV or cut an episiotomy without asking. I've heard so many stories like this, my mind went there automatically!

Too bad there's no machine that goes "ping" when your hospital care provider is about to do an unnecessary intervention. I'd definitely consent to THAT monitor. But I guess all the pinging would get pretty noisy and distracting in the average hospital!

My little jokes aside - my hospitals (both pretty mainstream) had a required 20 minute strip - after that you could do intermittent monitoring if your care provider said so. Translation: CFM was the default position. So I made sure my OB and midwife put a note for intermittment monitoring in my medical chart, which they were both fine with, no problem. As it turned out, arriving at the hospital almost pushing meant it never mattered.
#33 of 41 Old 01-26-2009, 06:11 PM

Nope! She said she would when I tried a VBAC but then she changed her mind! She even spoke up for me to the nurses and told them I didn't need monitoring yet or that there was no reason to check my cervix. I was allowed to wander the halls as long as I stayed in the maternity wing and returned to my room at a certain time for a few minutes of monitoring. It wasn't until my water broke that I was required to stay in my room - which makes sense to me!
#34 of 41 Old 01-27-2009, 02:37 AM

My Ob doesn't. He checked when I came in, and then checked a few times after that just to make sure. I was allowed to walk around, use a birth ball, birth pool, etc. When it was time to push you can change positions, use the squatting stool, etc. They don't push pain meds on you either. Any intervention is asked by the mom, unless of course a emergency c-section (which my Ob hardly ever does).
#35 of 41 Old 01-28-2009, 01:47 AM

i had MW's both times. 1st birth they only required the continuous monitoring once i had an epidural. this past time there was no epidural or iv, and no continuous monitoring. they used the doppler every once in a while.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#36 of 41 Old 01-28-2009, 11:23 AM

The hospital said it was required but I told them there was no way I would be able to stay in bed. They wanted me to wear the monitor for just a little bit anyway and sure enough I freaked (couldn't stand any pressure around my belly) and tore it off. They occasionally checked me with a doppler but even that became impossible after awhile (I was always moving!) and they gave up on that as well.

I was low risk and had an unmedicated birth...I'm not sure if it would have been different had I been on meds or anything like that. Just because they say it is required doesn't mean it will be enforced.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#37 of 41 Old 01-29-2009, 06:02 PM

No--because I was adamant about it, they respected my wishes. I did allow for spontaneous/intermittent monitoring.
#38 of 41 Old 01-29-2009, 06:44 PM

I had to have it with my daughters birth because I was induced and I hated it sooooo much!
#39 of 41 Old 01-30-2009, 09:39 PM

Yes and it was awful. Everytime my contractions got going really well, they'd stop me from walking and make me lie down for 20 minutes so they could run a strip. Then the contractions stoppped and I'd have to start all over again ....
#40 of 41 Old 01-31-2009, 05:44 AM

No, I had intermittent monitoring and I think that was pretty standard for OBs in my practice. When I was in transition and moving around a lot, I didn't even notice because my nurse manually held the monitor on me.

Mama to DD 9.06 / DD 1.09 and DS 6.10 born at home
#41 of 41 Old 01-31-2009, 05:55 AM

I'm using a CNM at a hospital, not an OB, but she says I don't have to be strapped down to anything, nor do I need an IV unless I test positive for GBS. I'm allowed to move around freely with only being checked by the doppler every once in awhile.

-

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page