return of bleeding 8 weeks post-partum? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-21-2009, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i had my baby 8 weeks and three days ago. my bleeding was very off and on and then pretty much gone around 6 weeks. a few days ago i noticed very slight amounts of blood when i used the bathroom and over the course of a few days it's gotten to be more and more. it's still not much, but today it's red and fresh looking. should i be concerned? it smells like lochia, not my period returning and it's much too light for me to think it might be a period anyway.

Bethanie, Single Mama to Clementine Aislyn born via waterbirth.jpguc.jpg on 11/23/08. Hoping to homeschool.gif We cd.gifsaynovax.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2009, 12:55 PM

Retained placenta? I would let your healthcare professional know just in case you need to get checked out.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
that's when my period came back with both kids

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
Old 01-22-2009, 02:10 PM

I got AF back at 6 weeks on the dot. But I definitely felt that that was what it was... for a few days beforehand I'd felt bloated, etc, and had actually predicted it would start.

If your intuition/opinion is that this isn't AF, I think you should get it checked out just to be on the safe side.

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

Old 01-22-2009, 04:23 PM

I also got AF around that time. Hopefully this is all it is for you too.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
Old 01-22-2009, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

i really don't think it's AF because it's mostly just clear mucous tinged with blood. there's not very much anymore.
i UC'd and don't have a healthcare provider...i'm not really sure who to see about this though. ob/gyn? family practitioner? i don't have insurance and would really like to avoid crazy medical bills....ah, the healthcare system.

my placenta looked completely intact when i examined it, so i don't think that's it. it is possible though.
thanks for the help!

Bethanie, Single Mama to Clementine Aislyn born via waterbirth.jpguc.jpg on 11/23/08. Hoping to homeschool.gif We cd.gifsaynovax.gif
Old 01-22-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeofstardust View Post
my placenta looked completely intact when i examined it, so i don't think that's it. it is possible though.
thanks for the help!
So did mine. I don't mean to scare you but the first time I was diagnosed with retained products of conception (retained placenta) it was TEENY TINY piece, literally the size of a fingernail and that was all it took for me to bleed like that. You cannot tell by the naked eye if the entire placenta was extracted. I work as an RN for my Ob and I see this time from time to time and am amazed at what a TINY fragment of placenta can cause a uterus to bleed. Like I said I am not trying to scare you at all, but if it if keeps up I would look into getting a transvaginal ultrasound by a good ob or midwife.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:21 PM

You could call Planned Parenthood and see what they can do for you on a sliding scale.

I got AF like clockwork after my first two by the 8-10 week mark. And I BF exclusively! Oh well, hopefully, that is all it is with you.

Go with your gut though, if you think it is something more, get it checked out before it turns into something worse....

User Tag List