What were your first words after your dc was born? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 12-11-2003, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The first thing I said, when the head was out, was "DON'T LET IT GO BACK IN!!!"

Then after she was born, I said "Is it OK?" (I didn't know the gender.)
#2 of 43 Old 12-11-2003, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't remember! I will never forget what my husband said, though. He said, "Hello, little boy!" (It was a girl. :LOL )
#3 of 43 Old 12-12-2003, 12:45 PM

I guess I always say: it's a boy!

:LOL

W/ birth #1, I saw dd's labia next to the cord & I thought it was a little penis. The doctor, who sat between my legs and saw the rear view of baby's groin area politely suggested that it was a girl.

W/ this second birth, baby was born onto the couch cushion beneath me and I reached down to grab it and felt baby's boy parts and exclaimed the gender.

(And that part is so funny to me, 'cause in my mind, I moved my hands to my crotch the moment I felt the head emerge, but I was moving in s l o w motion; by the time I got to the scene of the crime, boy was way on the couch already, and my fingertips brushed his boy parts rather than grabbing his emerging torso!)
#4 of 43 Old 12-12-2003, 01:23 PM

I clearly remember me saying "what is happening?"

When ds emerged he was wisked away to the corner of
the room and I saw them shaking him vigoriously with towels. I was exhausted and expected him to be placed on my chest. He was born with the cord wrapped around his neck and it took him a few minutes to ''come alive.''
#5 of 43 Old 12-12-2003, 05:42 PM

I tossed my arms up in the air & said " He's OUT..."

The attending nurse & midwife looked at me like I was an absolute nut! It was such a victorious moment. Marlene
#6 of 43 Old 12-12-2003, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
oops double post

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
#7 of 43 Old 12-12-2003, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
with my son, i said "my baby, my baby, my baby!" then, "he's so soft" .. i was touching his forehead, and i guess i didn't expect him to be so soft after floating around in all that amniotic fluid then i said "is he okay?" because the cord was wrapped around his neck, and he wasn't crying much (he was fine)

with my daughter, i said "it IS a girl".. our u/s said "maybe a girl, but don't bet on it", and then i said "she's so beautiful" about a million times! then i said "i did it! i'm still home!" i felt so victorious too, i didn't know if i would make it, but she was born at home and i was thrilled!

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
#8 of 43 Old 12-12-2003, 06:37 PM

well, with the first one, I woke up later in the recovery room (c-section under general anesthesia) and I think I said,"What was it?" And I had to ask several times what he weighed too...

With dd, I think I just sighed, "she's a girlie" and then cried.
#9 of 43 Old 12-12-2003, 08:43 PM

I can't really remember...
After #1 was born via c-section, I think I asked if I would still be able to nurse.

I think all I could say after #2 was born was, "Wow"
#10 of 43 Old 12-12-2003, 08:58 PM
Banned

"Wow, she looks like Paul (dh)!"
#11 of 43 Old 12-12-2003, 09:07 PM

With my first ds, my first words were "I'm gonna throw up". (I had a c/s) My ds loves to tell this story! "my mom threw up the first time she saw me...."
My ds2, it was " I love you" to my dh after he told me it was a boy. He was 10 weeks preemie so they wisked him away pretty quick.
With # 3, we were all sure it was another boy. So after she was out, the midwives asked what we had. My dh said (or should I say questioned) "its a girl?!" So, my first words were "WHAT?!":LOL He teases me that I asked where his penis was, but I dont think so......:
Good thread!
#12 of 43 Old 12-12-2003, 09:23 PM

DS1--"What's wrong?" because DH had just shouted "He's purple!" (Well duh....ds was fine.)

DS2--"I DID IT!" because I'd had the drug-free, intervention-free (except for the fetal monitor), hospital birth I wanted.
#13 of 43 Old 12-12-2003, 10:26 PM

ds#2 - "I know why he didn't want to come out."

I had pushed for an hour and a half and felt like the baby would never come out. We didn't know the sex of the baby but felt that it was a girl. We called the baby 'she' and 'her' through the whole pregnancy. So, he didn't want to come out because he thought we were expecting a girl.

Sounds silly now.

Momma to three fine children, one that lives in my heart and two that live in my arms.
Circumcision is wrong, regardless of gender
#14 of 43 Old 12-12-2003, 10:42 PM

These are pretty cute! With the first baby I sat up and said "Oh My G-D I feel SO much better now!" Then i asked for the camera, and the baby of course .
With the second, i said "why is she so pink?" :LOL which sounds so stupid, but I was so amazed she was screaming and all pink as DS was purple and silent (cord around his neck, had to be bagged....but all was well )

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#15 of 43 Old 12-12-2003, 10:49 PM

W/ 1st dd I said, "She's fine, just give her to me!" Midwife was tryingto suction her and dh was trying to get her to me.

2nd time around I said, "We did it!" I was the only one home when she was born and I was very happy to see her!

Fun thread!
C
#16 of 43 Old 12-12-2003, 11:15 PM

Ditto on the "Is she OK" I 'knew' it was a girl, but didnt "know" KWIM?

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#17 of 43 Old 12-13-2003, 12:55 AM

To Abigail, I immediately said, "Hi, baby!" Then I looked around the room with total astonishment and said, "I just had a baby!!!" Everyone laughed, but I meant it-- it was the most shocking thing ever to happen in any moment of my life.

I still can't explain what it was like to see her for the first time. Just the fact that she had never before been seen by anyone in the world, and that her face was a new face that I would need to learn and yet at the same time totally imprinted on my soul... it just was mind-boggling. To say, "I just had a baby!" with true surprise was an absolutely accurate portrayal of my experience.

It has been 18 months, and I still can't believe it. I love her so much that my cells can barely hold it in.
#18 of 43 Old 12-13-2003, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As his head was popping out: "I" *yarf* "CAN'T!" *yarf* as the nurse is yelling at me to stop throwing up : (I wasn't pushing, I was puking and he just got *launched* out, didn't even turn for his shoulders to deliver, the doctor wasn't in the room, the nurse didn't even have gloves on and was holding onto Orion's head to try to keep him from flying out).

Once he was born and put on my tummy I said something to the effect of "He's SO white!" meaning both his skin color and the copious amounts of vernix he had covering him.

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#19 of 43 Old 12-13-2003, 03:05 AM

DS: I don't remember. The first thing I remember saying was "I don't want stitches".

DD: She was on my abdomen getting oxygen and I heard my midwife say "she's okay" and I realized she was talking about the baby. I said "it's a girl?". My midwife smiled and turned her on my belly so I could see, and said "see for yourself".
#20 of 43 Old 12-13-2003, 03:32 AM

As his head was born, the first thing I said was "I don't want an episiotomy!" I had heard the doc ask for scissors, which bolted me out of my fog (even though I didn't put it together that since the head was already it didn't really make sense), but he calmly explained that it was to cut the cord that was too tight around his neck for his body to be born.

After he was born, I don't think I said anything for a few minutes - I was too out of it. Dh attended to ds as I watched to make sure he was okay. Dh gave me the thumbs up sign, and I collapsed back down into the bed. I probably said "Oh my god" about a thousand times.
#21 of 43 Old 12-13-2003, 04:49 AM

what a sweet thread..
i wont ever forget that moment. it was a stopped time moment, really it was. we knew there was meconium, and so i pushed like hell and popped her out, all 9 lbs of her, sideways head and all in about 15 minutes, and i watched them take her to the little bin to suction her, she was round, already had chub, a gorgeous head, beautiful legs and arms, and she looked like she was glowing, and i said "oh. oh. god. she's beautiful. " then i slapped dh and said" go! go see her! im fine!"

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
#22 of 43 Old 12-13-2003, 06:34 PM

this thread has me all choked up, i want to have a little teary

As i saw dd lifted out (had a c) I said "it's a girl .. is it a girl??" I then asked if she was a girl a couple of times Then I said her name and that we now had our "a" team (dogs and baby all have A names ). I knew she was ok cause she came out pink and screaming and mad as hell, but I did ask if she was ok after a little while.

LOL it makes me chuckle a little about how mad she was, she still doesn't much like to be taken from her Mama. Poor bubba. She's no shrinking violet.

Leah
#23 of 43 Old 12-13-2003, 06:46 PM
Pom

"Is it a girl?"

I had heard the midwife and nurse say "she" a couple times, but like azyre, had to ask a few times before they answered. Looking down at her in the arms of the midwife, DH and our friend crying (DD's godmother) and hugging, and I felt kind of distant and thought..."Oh, how nice for them!"
#24 of 43 Old 12-14-2003, 05:48 PM

Oh where is the box of tissues, I want another baby.

With ds I said "was it good, did you have fun" I said this to dh, he got to catch, can you imagine, I just gve birth for the first time, and what am I concerned with, did dh have "fun" catching and watching me give birth, by the way he laughed and said yes.

With dd, there were a couple of "oh my gods", I couldn't believe I had done it, totally naturally no interventions and had a hospital waterbirth (something the nurse didn't look to kindly on), then said to Dh "is it a girl," and we realized that nobody had ever looked. We had been calling her a girl for months so we were glad we were right.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#25 of 43 Old 12-15-2003, 03:15 AM

Her head came out and I said, " It burns."

Then our midwife said, "That would be the head."
And she had me stand to push her body out because she got stuck.

And the rest of her shot out and she was kind of bluish purple and our midwife gave her oxygen and I said "Oh my god," a couple of times, and then checked to see that she was a girl. And then I just held her close while our midwife gave her oxygen and she pinked up.
#26 of 43 Old 12-16-2003, 01:11 AM

"oh my god she's so tiny!!"

She was 8.5 not really tiny, but smaller than I expected!
#27 of 43 Old 12-16-2003, 03:31 AM

With my first (a daughter) I just cried wildly that it was finally over!

When my second one came out I yelled, "Oh my God, it's a BOY!" as though something with a penis was not allowed to come out of me. ???

#28 of 43 Old 12-17-2003, 12:31 AM

This is such a sweet thread! I love reading it! And...I know with this birth, I'll try to remember what the first thing I say is.

With my son, I don't remember saying anything. Although I probably did. The first thing I remember saying was after he was already nursing. I turned to my husband and said, "I could do this again. Not tomorrow, but probably the next day." And, I was dead serious. I really loved giving birth.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#29 of 43 Old 12-17-2003, 02:18 AM

With DS #1 I said "it's okay baby, mommy loves you!" as he was screaming his head off. Probably saying "put me back in!" hehe.
DS #2 I said "Look what I did! Oh my God he's so beautiful!" and I was crying like a fool!
#30 of 43 Old 12-17-2003, 02:28 AM

I said "Where is my baby?"

Everyone was all in a panic about to do a C-section and I was just chanting over and over again "this is all wrong, this is all wrong.." 'cause I couldn't quite find the words to say "you don't have my permission" Then my Ob/gyn rushed in and saw that the baby was actually being born (I had tried to tell the nurse but she didn't believe me) so she whipped her out with forceps and then suddenly everyone was gone and I was just lying there all by myself feeling incredibly hollow and beaten up saying "where is my baby?"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page