Placenta Previa questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-27-2009, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cross posted in Pregnancy forum, because I didn't know where to put this!

Hi there,
Let me start by saying that I do not have placenta previa--as far as I know; I'm still pretty early on here.

In the last several years after finding Mothering I have basically come to learn that everything I thought was true in the world was not really . You know, that routine c-sections no big deal, hospital births were the only way to go, formula feeding was nearly as a good as breastfeeding, everyone circumsizes their baby boys--etc., etc.

So, now I'm starting to wonder about other things. Like...placenta previa. All I have ever heard is that if you don't have a C-section you will hemorage and die, and most likely your baby too. Is that common accepted knowledge in the natural birth community? Or is there a flip side to the whole story? Just curious!

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-27-2009, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
True placenta previa is a complication that does truly require a c-section. That is one of the cases where we thank god for the talented surgeons that OBs are.

The placenta grows over the opening of the cervix and there are open blood vessels in the placenta (to feed and provide O2 to baby)-- if the cervix opens before the blood vessels shut down (which they do automatically after the birth)-- hemhorrage happens.

If the placenta covers the cervix-- there is also no way for the baby to exit the birth canal.
#3 of 9 Old 01-27-2009, 05:41 PM

If the placenta is completely or partially covering the cervix then yes, hemorrhage and death (both mom and baby) are pretty good possibilities. This is always a condition that requires a c/s.
#4 of 9 Old 01-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Banned

I agree with pp.

I'd be wary about an early diagnosis of placenta previa though. I've heard lots of people freak out because an u/s said they had this at 28 weeks and after weeks of agonizing it resolved itself as the uterus grew.
#5 of 9 Old 01-27-2009, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks! I learn something new here everyday!

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#6 of 9 Old 01-27-2009, 07:33 PM

There is no flip side. With complete or partial placenta previa, you have to have a c-section or it's likely (almost guaranteed) that mother and baby will die.

It's usually diagnosed at a routine 20 week ultrasound, but since the placenta can move up as the uterus grows, repeat ultrasound(s) are needed to confirm the placement of the placenta prior to surgery/birth.
#7 of 9 Old 01-27-2009, 09:08 PM

Yes, with placenta previa, you would have to have a C-section to prevent excessive bleeding and possible death of mother and baby. If the placenta is covering the cervix in any way, then the baby cannot move out and there lies your problem. It is very commonly diagnosed at 20 and 28 weeks, however. Many placentas start out low and then gradually move upwards. I was diagnosed at 20 weeks and then checked again at 28 weeks. At 28 weeks, unfortunately, it had only moved about 1/2 cm. So, I was placed on pelvic rest (nothing into the vagina) so as to not aggrevate the placenta and cause bleeding. I had a placental abruption at 31 weeks which required an emergency c-section. So, placenta previa is nothing to mess around with. And, like a PP mentioned, its a time when we thank OB's for being talented surgeons so they can save the lives of mothers and babies!
#8 of 9 Old 02-01-2009, 11:16 PM

Hello ladies,

I started a thread which no one has responded to so I thought maybe I'll have some luck here. I have a posterior, marginal placenta previa (2.8 cm from my cervical os). Anyone have experience with this?

BTW, I am going on 39 weeks and we've decided to go ahead with a homebirth. I have a gut feeling that all will go well, especially because I have had NO preliminary signs of trouble (ie spotting) and the baby's head is able to get quite low (seems to be no obstruction).
#9 of 9 Old 02-10-2009, 03:08 AM

I 110% agree,placenta previa is nothing to mess around with. With my 4th child,I had placenta previa,only a few centimeters covering the OS. Unfortunately,I was stupid & naive,& chose to believe people online that said "it's no big deal" & ignored the warnings of my OB. I was also severely depressed durning the pregnancy. I didn't strictly adhere to the bedrest prescribed by my OB,and will regret it & feel horribly guilty till the day I die,as my beautiful 19 month old son now has mild cerebral palsy due to my stupidity. My placenta abrupted,and I nearly died as did my son.I only hope that I can keep someone else from making the same mistakes that I did.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page