what r your views on pitocin AFTER birth - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 02-03-2009, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novella View Post
: re: refusing anything that's "routine".

I have read that receiving routine pitocin after the delivery increase one's chances of a post-partum hemorrhage that begins more than 24 hours after the birth. Sorry, no source - you'll have to search it yourself. The gist of that criticism is that the pitocin shot overloads the body with something like many hundred's times the body's natural level - it completely overwhelms natural systems. Then, when the pitocin wears off, your natural resources (which have been knocked senseless) have to pick up more suddenly. Not a frequent complication, but can happen.
This is one of the only actual reasonings that I've seen given for why it is a bad thing to have. I had trouble finding many reasons when researching this before. It seems most people think it's unecessary because the risks of hemorrhage are low and therefore doing it routinely is pointless. I do understand this.

HOwever, I've always believed that if there are no/very low risks to doing it then a routine procedure that may help is worth considering. For my birth it turned out I did have a mild hemmorrhage and some retained membrane and had IV pit then. I had already decided in advance to have the leg shot though, as I didn't want to be distracted or worried that I might be hemorraging and it not be noticed or treated (I had a small, irrational fear from time to time during my pregnancy that I would hemorrhage and die! Don't ask me why, I don't know why ). I think I had the leg shot, but it was after baby was delivered, and not during, as she came out so fast
#32 of 49 Old 02-03-2009, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwavemomma View Post

"Pitocin (synthetic oxytocin) can't cross the blood-brain barrier the way natural oxytocin can. However, if pitocin is in the bloodstream, it down-regulates the body's own production of natural oxytocin via a negative feedback loop. If a woman receives pitocin during or after labor, it can potentially inhibit bonding with her child and increase her chances of PPD, along with missing out on the birth high and all the other nice things natural oxytocin *in the brain* does."
I feel like that is almost a direct quote from the Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" or whatever that book is titled...But I remember reading this information in that book three years ago and never forgetting it.

I also had no idea that OB's use it routinely. They are really paranoid beings, aren't they? WTH? I never had it in my hosp birth, but then again, I had mw and everyone there knew I was basically against everything they routinely do and were pretty supportive of it...so I never experienced this. But, wow.

why don't you ask your dr if you can play it by ear?

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#33 of 49 Old 02-03-2009, 11:23 AM

This is very interesting. My first was a hospital birth and I was given pit due to being home for 2 days trying to have a homebirth, with my water broken. So, maybe they kept the pit on. They never told me. My second was a homebirth and I lost a lot of blood, but pit was never once mentioned.
#34 of 49 Old 02-05-2009, 12:27 AM

I got it after my first birth because my placenta had been stuck for a while and had to be manually removed. Yuck and ouch. I was at a FS birth center and I think they just wanted to try to prevent hospital transfer. For what it's worth, it was no big deal to me, as in it didn't seem to cause crazy contracting or anything. I'd be wary of it as a standard procedure, but I'm glad my MW carries it just in case.
#35 of 49 Old 02-05-2009, 12:39 AM

My mw suggested it for me for my second birth after I told her how I passed out twice after my first birth. (I think it was low blood pressure rather than excessive bleeding though.) Since my first baby would not latch on for 24 hours after he was born (in spite of no interventions), I suspected my second might be the same and he was (only 15 hours before he did though). So I accepted the pitocin and there were no problems with it.
#36 of 49 Old 02-05-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
That's more referring to using pitocin in LABOR, not as much for using it after birth during a real emergency. By the time you get pitocin after labor, you already have the 'birth high' going on if you had a natural birth. I mean I am sure it intereferes somewhat, but given that the other option is bleeding profusely, personally, I'd go with the pitocin in that case.
I pulled that quote from a discussion specific to postpartum-only use of pitocin - this mom did not have any during labor at all. And in the case of emergency and hemorrhage I certainly would not hesitate to make use of pitocin - absolutely. But I think that natural oxytocin surge is still going on for at least an hour and this quote is referring to the effects of its use during that very sensitive bonding time.

Vanessa - aspiring Traditional Foods momma of Graham & Margot
#37 of 49 Old 02-05-2009, 03:50 PM

At our local hospital it has become routine too. They gave my sister TWO WHOLE bags of pit after her son was born! This is after she had a bag during labor. WTF?! He ended up having some breathing issues (chest retractions and could/would not latch on because of it) and being transferred to another hospital with a NICU 2 days later. He got himself a 10 day stay for "preventative antibiotics". They never did find out what was wrong but I strongly suspect the pitocin was to blame.

I'm a labor doula and the only other client I've had that was induced with pitocin had the same exact thing happen. Baby had retractions and was x-ferred to a NICU and they never did find out what happened.

I strongly suspect there is a link between the overuse of pitocin and breathing difficulties in newborns.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#38 of 49 Old 02-06-2009, 11:06 PM

I actually had cytotec after this birth. It has been the easiest with bleeding yet! My last two were induced with Pitocin, and with my second I still bled for almost 3months and ended up anemic. I wasn't in the mood to argue the cytotec when my OB suggested it after delivery, even though it was natural labor and that went well, and I had heard bad things about it, so I just took it. My bleeding is no where near as heavy, and as of today is mostly spotting at only 2 weeks out! Not sure if it is right for everyone though, some people don't bleed much at all after birth anyways!

I will say this is our most alert little one! Not sure if it was related to the lack of pitocin this time, natural birth, or if it is just her personality.
#39 of 49 Old 02-06-2009, 11:58 PM

I told my FP that I did not want pitocin after the birth. She said that was fine, but that if I hemoraged it would be an instramuscular injection (ie a needle stick in the thigh versus going through a saline lock). I was fine with that and did not need any. I did lose quite a lot of blood and was pretty dizzy whenever I stood up for about 12 hours after the birth. I have no idea whether some "preventive" pitocin to help things contract a bit faster would have prevented some of that. There is good clinical evidence (through randomized controlled trials etc) that "managed" third stages result in less blood loss to mom than "unmanaged" ones do. But I didn't want it unless necessary. You can make your own decision - would be worth asking your doctor what the benefits/risks are.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#40 of 49 Old 02-07-2009, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had Syntocinon (the NZ equivalent of Pitocin) after Rowan was born, because my placenta took 'too long' to come out. I've discussed it with other mothers since, and I don't think it was 'too long' at all; but the shot in my leg didn't do anything, so the midwife ended up cutting the cord and injecting it up the cord (which I'd never heard of and thought was kinda cool). That didn't work either, and it turned out my cervix had clamped down over the placenta when it was halfway through, and the rest is a bit of a blur of gas and forceps.

So it was originally unjustified (shot 1), and then justified but unhelpful (shot 2). Oh well!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#41 of 49 Old 02-07-2009, 12:02 PM

In just my anecdotal experience.

For my first birth I was given a shot of pitocin immediately after the birth. I was not told what it was, It was just told it would "prevent bleeding". The cord was clamped right away. The doctor then grabbed the cord and pulled with all her weight. This was no "guiding the placenta out" She pulled hard. My estimated blood loss on the birth report was 1000cc. It took 10 minutes for the placenta to be born. I breastfed my baby about an hour after she was born, once the doctor had finished her repair to my perineum.

For my second birth at home. I gave birth upright. Placenta was birthed on its own. No pitocin. The placenta took 11 minutes to be born. My estimated blood loss was 250cc. No repair needed on my perineum. I breastfed my second daughter 20 minutes after the birth.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#42 of 49 Old 02-07-2009, 12:09 PM

I think routine use of pit for placenta managment is ridiculous and very likely dangerous when used willy nilly.

However I am one of those that is choosing it this time as I start heavy bleeding before my placenta comes out that turns into massive blood loss before my body lets go of the placenta.

Actually my midwife will be watching carfully and as if/when she sees the blood faucet turn on it will be promptly administered. I want to feel good after this birth not like last time where it felt like a vampire had got me.
#43 of 49 Old 02-07-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakaya View Post
what do you all think about delaying cord clamping and the shot of pitocin?

i've heard one school of thought that says it is dangerous to delay the cord clamping if the mother gets pitocin. the reason is that the uterus would contract so strongly against the placenta that the placenta would gush all this blood up the cord and into the baby.

what do you think?

my ob/gyn just let me know that the pitocin shot is "routine" for all births in hospital here. i was hoping to delay cord clamping for this baby if possible, and its kind of a bummer that it can't happen because of some BS routine procedure that shouldn't even be routine.
It's 'routine' at our hospital, too. I had a 100% natural birth with #1 (I thought) - it wasn't until two years later when I was filing stuff and found the bill and reviewed the details and saw that I was given pitocin. It was for 'third stage management,' just routine.

We told our OB that we wanted delayed cord clamping and no pitocin with #2, regardless of hospital policy. He didn't normally do either (people didn't ask) -- but said he was fine with that, as long as I was aware that if there was an emergency, he'd have to give me the pit. And yes, all I read and what the OB said was that pit was NOT OK with delayed cord clamping, due to the risk of the blood rush. So by default, in choosing to delay cord clamping, we were choosing no pitocin, too.

The nurse tried to give the pit after #2 was born, and our OB told her to get it out of the room, don't charge us for it, it wasn't in our birth plan and he didn't request it, and he didn't want it to show up on our bill either.

So, long story short, I'd say that if you have a supportive OB, you can have delayed cord clamping and no pit. We did (and we're convinced it's part of the reason that #2 was so different as a newborn from #1).

I did a lot of research on Pit and brought my research with me to discuss it with our OB prior to #2's birth. And I am almost positive that I read somewhere that pit could, in fact, sometimes result in retained placenta and the very 'complications' it was supposed to prevent. Unfortunately that was a different computer and I don't have my links ... maybe someone else has read this somewhere and can provide links? It's been 3 years I think since I researched it, but I swear that at the time, WHO said that it did not recommend routine pit, because of its expense and the fact that it didn't always do as hoped [they also set the 'blood loss concern' level at double what the USA set it at].

I would take pit only in an emergency situation. And I highly recommend delayed cord clamping! Go for it.

Not all who wander are lost.
#44 of 49 Old 02-15-2009, 12:32 AM

elanohr- I'd really like to know more about this. I'm expecting my 3rd baby in about a week and a half- and it's my first homebirth. I have a great mw who I used with my last baby too, and she's very non-medical. However, I've lost a fair amount of blood with heavy clotting with both previous pregnancies, and that combined with precipitous labours has left me 'anemic' for weeks, despite great hemoglobin levels.

We've devised a plan this time to prevent the hemhorrage, and this included delaying clamping until placenta was delivered. However, my mw has suggested, as she previously did, the routine shot of oxytocin to help my uterus contract. I've agreed; I've had it each time but am wondering about not getting it.

Please let me know if you find any of the sources you mentioned!

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#45 of 49 Old 02-15-2009, 11:32 AM
wbg

I have had pit given routine and then no pit. Honestly, I have to say the only thing that I noticed was that delivering my placenta without the pit, was less painful? I do not know if the pit had anything to do with that or not, but that was the only thing we did differently. I have found with the benefit of experience, that I do not agree to anything "routine". I just say absolutely not, because in the event of a real emergency they will talk to me about administering the drug anyway, so i can deal with that in the event of a true emergency.

wbg...constantly amazed by Z , cherishing I , inspired by P , adoring K and still getting butterflies when I wake up with B !
#46 of 49 Old 02-15-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post
So by default, in choosing to delay cord clamping, we were choosing no pitocin, too.
(Bolding mine)

This is worth repeating all on it's own. You cannot delay cord clamping if you have PP pit before the cord is clamped (and I'd assume cut). I was doing some reading on cord clamping yesterday and read this for the first time. I'd had delayed cord clamping on my birth plan for my first birth, and then accepted a shot of pit 3 hours into pushing. I pushed my son out while they were still administering the shot and nothing was ever said beforehand that I was giving up delayed cord clamping (which was really important to me) by accepting a shot I'm not sure I even needed. That was my only birth intervention that time and I regret it and wish they would have told me the implications.

Vanessa - aspiring Traditional Foods momma of Graham & Margot
#47 of 49 Old 02-15-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwavemomma View Post
(Bolding mine)

This is worth repeating all on it's own. You cannot delay cord clamping if you have PP pit before the cord is clamped (and I'd assume cut). I was doing some reading on cord clamping yesterday and read this for the first time. I'd had delayed cord clamping on my birth plan for my first birth, and then accepted a shot of pit 3 hours into pushing. I pushed my son out while they were still administering the shot and nothing was ever said beforehand that I was giving up delayed cord clamping (which was really important to me) by accepting a shot I'm not sure I even needed. That was my only birth intervention that time and I regret it and wish they would have told me the implications.
This upsets me. I had no idea this was the case, in fact I was adamant that we wanted to delay cord clamping and cutting. I had no idea that by also consenting to a pitocin shot that I was nullifying our (more important) decision to delay clamping. My midwives (I had four or five) all neglected to mention this. After my son's birth, I was zonked, but I was lucid enough to look shocked when they clamped right away. I was then led to believe that they couldn't delay clamping because he had a "short cord".
This is definitely something I'm going to adress before our next birth.
Thanks ladies, this really cleared it up for me!

Me + him = DS 01/08 & DD 09/09 X2
#48 of 49 Old 02-15-2009, 11:47 PM

Hi mamas,
I can't find any information on the web about the incompatibility of delayed cord clamping and the pitocin shot. As I said above, my mw is planning to do both with my birth.
Does ANYONE have any links???

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#49 of 49 Old 02-15-2009, 11:56 PM

I've no info on cord clamping and pit, but when I gave birth I was very clear about not wanting pitocin or interventions of any kind, particularly without being consulted. So imagine my surprise when I caught sight of the nurse readying to draw pit into a syringe while we were waiting for the placenta. I told her I absolutely did not want it. She looked surprised, but put it away. :

Lucky wife to DH and mom to DS (10/02) and sweet DD (7/08) and DSD (3/93) and assorted animalia

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page