Calling ALL c/b moms! I need your opinions!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 12-14-2003, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am writing my birth plan and part of it is in the event of another c/b. So, I need opinions on a few things....

stitches or staples (I had staples and they were fine but the steri strips drove me nutso!!)

Walking Epi, epi, or spinal (I had the epi and have no complaints)

What painkillers for afterwards (I have no idea what I was given into my IV. All I know is that my first few days as a mom are mush in my brain!)

What things would you have in your birth plan that I might forget??

TIA!!!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#2 of 16 Old 12-15-2003, 02:00 AM

Stitches. Gives you a feeling you are better put together, does not leave as ugly as a scar, and they dissolve.

Epidural with PCAP connected to your epi cath for after delivery to give you a feeling of a walking epidural, do this or get duramorph for long term pain relief after surgery. These two things will not mess with your mind and leave you alert. They last between 12-24 hours after surgery. After that I suggest demerol orally and extra strength tylenol.

Things to remember:

request a mirror or drape to be lowered so you can view the birth

not have arms strapped to the table

request to video tape and/or take pictures

Ask to see baby immediately

*some people want to discover the sex on their own in recovery -- not me

ask to check out the placenta

Kim
#3 of 16 Old 12-15-2003, 02:09 AM

Stitches. Gives you a feeling you are better put together, does not leave as ugly as a scar, and they dissolve.

Epidural with PCAP connected to your epi cath for after delivery to give you a feeling of a walking epidural, do this or get duramorph for long term pain relief after surgery. These two things will not mess with your mind and leave you alert. They last between 12-24 hours after surgery. After that I suggest demerol orally and extra strength tylenol.

Things to remember:

request a mirror or drape to be lowered so you can view the birth

not have arms strapped to the table

request to video tape and/or take pictures

Ask to see baby immediately

*some people want to discover the sex on their own in recovery -- not me

ask to check out the placenta

Kim
#4 of 16 Old 12-15-2003, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Oh come on! 42 views and not one response? Kinda sad isn't it.....

#5 of 16 Old 12-15-2003, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Oh come on! 42 views and not one response? Kinda sad isn't it.....

Never mind...thanks OnThe Fence! It can be hard to try and glance through the c/b support thread and find the info.....

#6 of 16 Old 12-15-2003, 07:32 PM

I would ask your ob about hospital policy regarding your choices with c/b. Institutional policy may restrict your range of choices.

For instance, your hospital might not offer walking epidurals to anyone, so such a choice may not possible. I had an unplanned c/b, but I did include my wishes regarding c/b in my birth plan, in the event I ended up having one. Even with a birth plan, a sympathetic ob, and doula advocating for my wishes, I couldn't get a walking epidural or avoid having my arms strapped down during the c/b. If I could go back in time, I would have picked a different hospital with more choices available to me regarding c/b. Before my daughter's birth, I had no idea how much of an impact hospital policy would have on my experience.

HTH,
Michelle
mom to Eileen 11/04/01
#7 of 16 Old 12-16-2003, 04:21 AM

Your doctor makes the choice to have your arms strapped down or not. IF they told you that was hospital policy that is hogwash --same goes for the epidural. If a woman in labor birthing vaginally can get them, so can a cesarean birth momma. You just have to yell a little louder and bitch a lot more. They tried to refuse or balk at both these things. Luckily, I was able to talk to the anest. first and find out what the real deal is. My doctor told the OR nurse not to strap down my arms. Pretty much the nurses obey, because of course those doctors are demi-gods.:LOL
#8 of 16 Old 12-16-2003, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

The epidural made me shake really really bad. Do you think not strapping down my arms is an ok thing? I was thinking I'd just like to have my non-IV arm free.

The other thing is I itched really bad after the c/b. the said from the epi but I think it was from something else they put in. They gave me DROWSY benadryl! Goof balls had the non-drowsy kind but didn't tell me that!

#9 of 16 Old 12-16-2003, 11:00 AM

stitches or staples (I had staples and they were fine but the steri strips drove me nutso!!)

Definitely stitches. I had staples the first time-they came open. You do not want that! The second time I had stitches-no complications and much better healing.

Walking Epi, epi, or spinal (I had the epi and have no complaints)

I preferred Epi. With my second, the standard was a spinal but I insisted on an epi and they complied.

What painkillers for afterwards (I have no idea what I was given into my IV. All I know is that my first few days as a mom are mush in my brain!)

I was on vicatin (sp?) and went to Motrin as soon as I could.

What things would you have in your birth plan that I might forget??

I would have killed for one of those back scratchers when I got the itches. I called in nurses to scratch my back for me.
#10 of 16 Old 12-16-2003, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

I had morphine put in after surgery and the benadryl and a couple other things. They made me loopy. It may have been the combo of them.

Vicodin I normally do ok on but I don't know about high doses.

Once I got home I didn't take anything but the stool softener

#11 of 16 Old 12-16-2003, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by its_our_family
The epidural made me shake really really bad. Do you think not strapping down my arms is an ok thing? I was thinking I'd just like to have my non-IV arm free.

The other thing is I itched really bad after the c/b. the said from the epi but I think it was from something else they put in. They gave me DROWSY benadryl! Goof balls had the non-drowsy kind but didn't tell me that!
Some women have an allergic reaction to epis, especially if they put duramorph in. You need to find out if they did that. They gave you benadryl because you were itching, tell them next time you will just scratch.

You can keep one arm secured to the board if that makes you feel more comfortable, but there is realy no point to it. This is not practiced in other countries like it is here.

Kim
#12 of 16 Old 12-16-2003, 10:48 PM

The first time around I said no student nurses but I was so out of it and couldnt really talk and they assigned me one anyway. Thank the gods!!! She was the best thing I had. i forget her name but I bet she made a damn good nurse! She massaged my feet and legs, scratched my back, cried with me when I couldnt get up and walk, and she even wiped my ass. She was absolutely one of the best people I ever had taking care of me. So now when I am in the hospital, and they say "would you care if we assign you a student nurse" I say HECK YEAH, send em on. My grandfather had one a few years ago and that guy was the best thing since fresh apple pie with vanilla ice cream. He also was assigned to him three days in a row and he was his only patient.

Kim
#13 of 16 Old 12-16-2003, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Instead of staples or stitches, I had Dermabond. They glued me back together! I healed super fast and barely have a scar.
#14 of 16 Old 12-16-2003, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
you know, this is a great site that might give you more ideas on things to ask for to make your surgery/birth better:

http://www.eheart.com/cesarean/oliver.html

I love this site. This physician is amazingly honest and in search of ways to humanize the experience for the mother and the baby.

I've had a few clients not take too many medications after their surgery and they found that their success with nursing and recovery was so much easier.
#15 of 16 Old 12-16-2003, 11:43 PM

I had staples and disolving stitches. One of my current midwives said that she could barely tell that I had a c-sec externally. And my family practitioner (at the time of the c-sec) commented on what a great job the surgeon did with me.

As far as pain meds, I just remember having too many of them.

I ended up with a spinal due to the hospital's lack of latex allergy readiness for epidurals.

Check out that thread Meg's Mom started with her c-sec questions too. I know that if there was a c-birth forum here it would be much easier to find the info that you are looking for.
#16 of 16 Old 12-17-2003, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Luckily my reconvery was pretty fast..maybe because of my age. I also did pretty good at bfing too...I think the lact consult was a waste of time though...

I'll check out MM's thread. It can be so hard to skim the c/b support thread to find what youa re looking for I jsut find myself sking all over again!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page