Painless Natural Labor followed by Painful Natural Labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-09-2009, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for personal accounts. Have you had a painless natural labor with one birth and then had a painful natural labor with the next? If so, what if anything do you think would have helped with the painful labor?

My last birth was pretty much painless but I know that every labor is different. It wasn't totally an accident that the birth wasn't painful. I did do a lot to prepare. I would love for things to go down the same way this time but I'm also trying to be realistic. I want to know what others have experienced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_brycesmom View Post
I would love for things to go down the same way this time but I'm also trying to be realistic.
I had a great birth experience as well - fast (just under 5 hours from 1st minor ctrx to feeling the urge to push! Then waited nearly 30 min to get to hospital & get in a room - then 40 min pushing.) While I wouldn't call it "painless" the pain was totally manageable & I had NO pain in-between ctrx.

I've often read/heard that with subsequent babies, the whole birth is faster - particularly 2nd stage. But I've also heard that each birth is unique & therefore I could have a drawn-out, really tough experience the 2nd time.

But... whenever I get PG again, I figure I'll just do the same things I did the 1st time around to prepare for a good birth experience. The good nutrition, exercises to help baby get into the right position, optimistic outlook & lots of time doing positive visualizing, etc. I don't see a reason to prepare differently for #2 than I did for #1. Except that I can't expect things to move as quickly. As my Bradley teacher always said (I think she was a Buddhist), I have to be OK with what is & be OK with not-knowing (i.e. not knowing how much longer I have to go, etc.)
Old 02-10-2009, 08:25 AM

My first 2 were essentially painless, 8hrs and 4hrs, and I did prepare in a sort of 'hypno birth style' (this was before the Dawn of HypnoBirthing). 3rd was more intense and much longer, 18hrs...still wouldn't say it was painful exactly. 4th hurt a lot, 24hrs; 5th wasn't so bad as 4th but still way more difficult to manage/painful than the earlier ones, 6th was about the same as 5th.

My 2 earliest babies were the smallest babies and were the easiest (6.5 and 7lbs). Then as the babies got bigger the labors got harder, sort of. That is, #3 was 7.5 lbs, longer labor. #4 was 8lbs but *also malpositioned with a large head, which I think accounts for how long and painful the labor was (and LOTS of puking!). 5th was nearly 10lbs, but an easier and shorter labor than 4 (tho lots longer/painful than 1st 2)--partly because she was well positioned, but also because by then I'd learned something about the shape of my pelvic outlet and how to work with it's 'tight spot'. I believe that that 'tight spot' was responsible for the increased pain and time as the babies got bigger. The bigger babies had to push my pelvis open more than the smaller ones--this took time and my body resisted this somewhat.

I used the same hypno-birthy style of labor mgmt each time (but more movement and vocalization), and I think all things considered it was the right thing for me/us. I do think however, that while a woman may well have similar labors with most of her babies, things like malpositioning, nuchal hand, greatly increased size of baby from others, can make for a more challenging or even downright painful experience. well, so can increased life-stress and/or reduction in general health/nutrition/rest.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:25 AM

Yes for me. My last two births. Second son's labor was 4 hours, very intense, but I don't remember *hurting*. Third son's labor hurt like the dickens from the get-go. It was the same legnth, but felt *very* different.

With the painless labor, I was able to sit upright in the front seat of the car, and work through contractions with no problems. By the time we left for the hospital with the third birth, I was completely overwhelmed and panicked by the pain, begging to stay home instead of go (not because I didn't want to go to the hospital but because just looking at the car sent me into a panic!), and totally unable to sit "properly". I rode to the hospital kneeling on the car floor, leaning over the seat.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post
I had a great birth experience as well - fast (just under 5 hours from 1st minor ctrx to feeling the urge to push! Then waited nearly 30 min to get to hospital & get in a room - then 40 min pushing.) While I wouldn't call it "painless" the pain was totally manageable & I had NO pain in-between ctrx.

I've often read/heard that with subsequent babies, the whole birth is faster - particularly 2nd stage. But I've also heard that each birth is unique & therefore I could have a drawn-out, really tough experience the 2nd time.

But... whenever I get PG again, I figure I'll just do the same things I did the 1st time around to prepare for a good birth experience. The good nutrition, exercises to help baby get into the right position, optimistic outlook & lots of time doing positive visualizing, etc. I don't see a reason to prepare differently for #2 than I did for #1. Except that I can't expect things to move as quickly. As my Bradley teacher always said (I think she was a Buddhist), I have to be OK with what is & be OK with not-knowing (i.e. not knowing how much longer I have to go, etc.)
It is nice to see that you don't see a reason to prepare any differently with your next. I keep going back and forth, lol. The only thing I really haven't done is a "method". Hypnobabies seems to be the most recommended. I should have mentioned that this is not my 2nd. This will be my 3rd birth, 4th pregnancy. My first birth was definitely painful but it was pitocin induced, AROM and all that jazz.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBlack View Post
My first 2 were essentially painless, 8hrs and 4hrs, and I did prepare in a sort of 'hypno birth style' (this was before the Dawn of HypnoBirthing). 3rd was more intense and much longer, 18hrs...still wouldn't say it was painful exactly. 4th hurt a lot, 24hrs; 5th wasn't so bad as 4th but still way more difficult to manage/painful than the earlier ones, 6th was about the same as 5th.

My 2 earliest babies were the smallest babies and were the easiest (6.5 and 7lbs). Then as the babies got bigger the labors got harder, sort of. That is, #3 was 7.5 lbs, longer labor. #4 was 8lbs but *also malpositioned with a large head, which I think accounts for how long and painful the labor was (and LOTS of puking!). 5th was nearly 10lbs, but an easier and shorter labor than 4 (tho lots longer/painful than 1st 2)--partly because she was well positioned, but also because by then I'd learned something about the shape of my pelvic outlet and how to work with it's 'tight spot'. I believe that that 'tight spot' was responsible for the increased pain and time as the babies got bigger. The bigger babies had to push my pelvis open more than the smaller ones--this took time and my body resisted this somewhat.

I used the same hypno-birthy style of labor mgmt each time (but more movement and vocalization), and I think all things considered it was the right thing for me/us. I do think however, that while a woman may well have similar labors with most of her babies, things like malpositioning, nuchal hand, greatly increased size of baby from others, can make for a more challenging or even downright painful experience. well, so can increased life-stress and/or reduction in general health/nutrition/rest.
Thanks for sharing! Anything in particular that helped you work with your pelvis "tight spots"? I can already relate to most of what you've said. My natural birth baby was 9.6lbs with a 15 inch head. I do think his huge head contributed to the long labor and long pushing phase. The labor was over 48hrs with no breaks. Even with the long labor, I was able to manage the pain away pretty much fully. My first was also 9.6lbs so I'm expecting about the same this time. I doubt the baby will be much larger. I'm expecting another long labor since both of my labors have been long. I did Webster 2-3x a week with my chiro from week 38 to week 42 (when I finally gave birth) which I believe greatly helped ds take and keep good positioning throughout labor and birth. I plan to do that again. The only thing nagging me is the thought of trying hypnobabies this time. It really doesn't appeal to me but it could be a great tool.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post
Yes for me. My last two births. Second son's labor was 4 hours, very intense, but I don't remember *hurting*. Third son's labor hurt like the dickens from the get-go. It was the same legnth, but felt *very* different.

With the painless labor, I was able to sit upright in the front seat of the car, and work through contractions with no problems. By the time we left for the hospital with the third birth, I was completely overwhelmed and panicked by the pain, begging to stay home instead of go (not because I didn't want to go to the hospital but because just looking at the car sent me into a panic!), and totally unable to sit "properly". I rode to the hospital kneeling on the car floor, leaning over the seat.
Wow, those labors sound very different!!! Do you think it would have helped to stay home? That is the other thing that I'm doing differently this time. Hospital birth with the last but this time will be a homebirth.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
with my 3rd child I wouldn't say painless- but far less pain than any of the other births- with that birth I had such an increased degree of altered state that I was see-feeling my daughter be born- so in contrast with that and the first 2 I thought it mostly had to do with stranger/danger and instutional settings/routines and rudeness but with my last I did a UC and I had the worst pain and no matching elevation of endorphins- and I would atribute it to lack of feeling safe-
Old 02-11-2009, 12:27 AM

My 5th was my hardest and most painful, my third was totally painless, I didn't feel any contractions, just lots of pressure. I never even felt like pushing.
My fourth I definately felt the contractions, but it still wasn't anything to complain about, maybe a 2 hour labor all together.

My fifth was posterior, and military, and had a 15 1/2 inch head. I pushed for 5 1/2 hours, longer than the total number of hours I laboured with my first, and he wasn't born until he fractured my coccyx with his big, asynclitic head. I spent a lot of my pushing stage trying to knock myself out by banging my head on the wall, sort of like what the baby was doing to my pelvis. I don't think there was anything that could have prepared me for his birth.

My sixth, I spent my entire pregnancy terrified and waking up with anxiety attacks, thinking it would be a repeat of the last, but she literally fell out between the bathroom and the bed, no contractions, no pain, lots of pressure, and before the midwife could get there. I felt tremendous pressure for about 20 minutes before she was born, that's it.

My seventh was also posterior, and my back did hurt during contractions, but I was in labour about 3 hours total so it was bearable.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Wow, those labors sound very different!!! Do you think it would have helped to stay home? That is the other thing that I'm doing differently this time. Hospital birth with the last but this time will be a homebirth.
I don't know. They were both in the same hospital, with the same midwife.
And they were very different from the get-go, so I don't know that staying home would have helped all that much, even though I would have preferred that in the moment.

What I really would have liked was the opportunity to use the jacuzzi in the midwife center during the painful one. But I had been risked out. :

User Tag List