severe pain after tearing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-14-2009, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My cousin just gave birth Monday night to a healthy baby who is nursing very well However, she tore extensively and is in excruciating pain- even a sitz bath is impossible- and I'm wondering if there's anything she could do or take, besides 800 mg ibuprofen, which is really not even taking the edge off.

TIA.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2009, 04:04 AM

prescription drugs are always an option.
yes, of course some are okay with breastfeeding, just have her ask for whatever the C/S moms get..usually vicodin or similar.
arnica, as strong as she can get, like 200k
i got this lovely herbal sitz bath spray from motherlove, it helped tremendously, just spray on.
vitamins, including a LOT of vitamin C..like.....5,000 mg, bare minimum, her body will be burning through it trying to heal.

CPST
Old 02-14-2009, 03:44 PM

Has she had a check-up? She may have an infection or "popped" stitches. I was in excruciating pain after my delivery/tear so I asked my mw to check me again and it turned out I had both.

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

Old 02-14-2009, 03:45 PM

Dermoplast (Lanacane in Canada) spray might help with the pain a bit.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the suggestions, I'll pass them on. I just didn't think it was okay for her to be in so much pain with nothing to help- she cannot walk or sit upright, at all. They won't prescribe stronger painkillers. Doesn't seem right, but I wasn't sure because I only had two stiches- I was in pain but I could walk. I agree that a checkup would be a good idea in case of infection or popped stitches, ouch, it's painful just thinking about it!

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
Old 02-15-2009, 01:36 AM

I had a lot of pain after #2, but they had given me a narcotic, which did help. I don't know why they wouldn't give her one - even if they say she 'shouldn't' be in so much pain, I believe it. I had a partial 3rd degree and it hurt to move.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I second stronger drugs. I was in so much pain & the doc didn't give me a prescription for along enough time period. I wish I had asked for more.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 02-16-2009, 12:26 AM

I had a 4th degree tear and hundreds of stitches... I was given vicodin for the first 2-3 weeks along with the Tylenol-3 (the codeine one?). I also had stool softeners and anti-gas meds to help with gentle "through-put". My care provider told me to try gentle "belly dance" type pelvic circles to encourage blood flow and healing, to use a memory foam pillow instead of a "donut" pillow (since the foam would be gentle but still support the tissue), to eat more iron and protien than I normally do (a lot more actually, to provide material for tissue growth), to use an herbal sitz bath at least twice a day, to smear aloe gel on the tear and "sun my bum" at least once a day (usually I'd use the sitz bath, then smear on the aloe gel, then lay on my belly with my bare bum in a sun beam for 5-10 minutes).

But honestly that first week/week and a half was extremely painful. And I wasn't totally pain free for months. I know mamas who have healed more quickly (or been pain free more quickly) but I've been told by many many moms with extensive tears that the first 4-5 weeks are usually pretty bad, then things can remain sensitive till 5-6 months pp. Not painful per se, but sensitive and easily aggravated.

Hopefully her tear isn't as severe as mine was (and tell her congrats on the new babe!) and make sure she rules out infection or popped stitches or a small anal tear that was missed at the birth (it often happens when there is other tearing, and if left unsutured it can lead to funky healing and pain). But once those are ruled out let her know it's not uncommon and it WILL get better. Big hugs and quick healing!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 02-16-2009, 05:20 PM

I also had a 4th degree tear with lots of stitches and know how she must feel... poor lady!!! Honestly, the excruciating pain was there for about 4 weeks, was downgraded to strong pain for another 4, and then slowly got better. It took many months until I was pain-free. I was given this medication called Voltaren in the beginning but it totally knocked me out so I pretty much got by on ibuprofen and lots of teeth-clenching.

What helped me most in the beginning was basically avoiding sitting at all. I think I spent the first 8 weeks lying down or balancing on one butt cheek. When I peed, I took a pitcher of warm water with me and poured it out as I peed to neutralize the sting. I took several sitz baths a day with a tannin-based powder which has a similar effect as witch hazel and kind of dries out the wound area. Then I'd blow dry myself down there on a low warm setting for about 5 or 10 minutes.

All the best to her... I hope she is able to enjoy the baby despite the pain!

User Tag List