How soon are you able to walk around after natural birth? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-24-2009, 03:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was able to walk around about an hour or two after giving birth. I just didn't have much energy to go too far. But I didn't walk around that much for the first couple of days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2009, 04:58 AM

I usually take a long hot shower within the hour of birthing and am up walking around then. I am usually out and about within 24 hours (or less).

I don't stay down very long. The longer I stay down after a birth the harder it is to get up and get going. So I get going early.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:16 AM

I was up doing things (to go pee, take a shower, get a snack, grab a diaper or change of clothes, etc) within hours. I went for a slow walk around the block 2 days later (( was pretty sore after birth of ds1) but it was great to be outside

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
Old 02-24-2009, 10:58 AM

I had an epidural, but it was shut off towards the end, so it had worn off a fair bit by the time I gave birth. I still felt like my legs were heavy and not working right, but could walk, holding my husband's arm, about 15 minutes after the birth... maybe sooner, but that's when they had *finished* with me. They took the baby off to the ICU a few minutes after birth (inhalation of fluid) so, just had a couple of stitches, then they suggested I go take a shower. Not too long after that i could walk around fine.

Our son was born in the early hours of the morning, then I was basically on my feet walking here and there pretty well non-stop ... back and forth between our room and ICU, being moved to another room, greeting visitors and showing them the baby etc... until bed time that night, after having been awake and labouring for the last couple of days. I seemed to have heaps of energy, not really tired or sore at all... well, a little, but nothing that stopped me being up and about.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:00 PM

I've had two natural births and neither of them were "easy". After the first one I honestly had that "hit by a truck" feeling. Sure, I was up to get cleaned up relatively quickly, but then didn't get out of bed until the next day. I wasn't full comfortable for at least six weeks which was super hard at the time.

My second birth was a stillbirth at 25 weeks. That also hit me hard, and other than bathroom trips, I pretty much stayed in bed until the following morning. But I did recover much more quickly with this birth than with my full term one. Like w/i a day or two, I think.

Stacy - mom to Lily 5-20-06 , Angel, stillborn @ 25 wks 12-17-07 , and Cami 4-21-09.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:47 PM

With my first it was an hour or so after I gave birth because I needed to have some stitches. Then I got up to go pee. It was a hospital birth so the nurses were surprised when I walked down the hall a couple hours after giving birth to get myself a glass of OJ. The nurse (in a nice way) told me that I could have asked her to get it for me. I told her I felt like walking. She gave me a big grin.

My second I went straight from the birthing pool to the bathroom. It was around 20 minutes after the birth.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
Old 02-25-2009, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

After my son his labor was 17hours from 1st contractions til his birth. I was up pretty soon after so much that i left the hospital AMA 6hours after his birth.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
Old 02-25-2009, 05:46 PM

About an hour & a half, I think? I probably could have moved sooner, but I didn't want to. Baby & I were perfectly content to just lay there and snuggle.

Jen, SAHM to Jamie and Alexandra and with #3 in May
Old 02-26-2009, 12:32 AM

I already posted but I just remembered that the day after DS was born (mid July) was the very best week out of the whole year to pick wild wineberries in our area- these amazingly delicious raspberry-like berries. So I was crawling around this hill picking as many as I could while Dh stayed with the sleeping kids in the car, LOL. We did this like every day that week. People thought I was nuts, and they probably still do.

ETA: For some reason the thought that got me through the worst of my labor was picking berries in a sunny field...so maybe theres a connection, haha.

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
Old 02-26-2009, 12:36 AM

I was up after about 30mins for a shower and a clothes change

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
Old 02-26-2009, 05:19 AM

within an hour i was up and got in the wheelchair to go upstairs with my first.

with my second, i had him and then got out of the tub at about 10 mins and went in the bedroom and waited there for a while then went to the bathroom, etc.

my third, i got the placenta out at about 10 mins then got up and went in the bedroom and sat down then went back to the bathroom and walked around finding her clothes, etc (i had towels together but not clothes other than them together..just not together with my birth stuff, i didnt think my labor would be so short and wanted to leave something to do in labor to not make myself go nuts timing, etc )
Old 02-27-2009, 02:01 AM

I cannot imagine why on earth I would go to the grocery store the same day I gave birth!!! Oh man, if thats not the time to send a friend or neighbor out (or order delivery), what is? I think my first out-of-the-neighborhood outing was to buy nursing bras around 5 days later (was in desperate need of them!)

I could walk right away but was exhausted (labored 4PM to 4AM). I also needed stitches, and urination was EXTREMELY painful (I tried), had to have a catheter inserted just to drain my bladder, then have the stitches. LOL next time I am not going to drink SO much during labor! Anyway, I was definitely capable of getting up and around as soon as the stitches were done, but I didn't really want to. I just wanted to nurse my baby, and then I wanted to eat (I was very hungry!), and then I wanted to sleep and cuddle with my baby and my husband, and then that is pretty much all I wanted to do for a few days. Took some short little walks around, sure, but it was about 5 days before I was going around the neighborhood, and I have to say that was slow going for a while too.

I'd been active, working, exercising and eating really well up until the day before my birth, had a healthy pregnancy and my labor wasn't *that* bad (well, except for mild SD and the stitches!). I guess its different for everyone, like everything else.

dissertating mom to three

Old 02-27-2009, 06:01 AM

I have been shoping the day of giving birth. But I am a strange one.

With my first, within 12 hours, I went to the book store to buy a book (hey, I wanted something to read).

With my second, within 12 hours, I went out to eat, to the doctors office (it was an "oops" HB).

With my third, within four hours, I went to a conference. (My strangest, I don't even remember why other than it had something to do with DH's work.)

With my fourth, within 12 hours, I went out to eat and walked the mall.

With my fifth, within 18 hours, I went out shopping and out to eat.

With my sixth, within 12 hours, I went to the grocery store and several other stores.

With my seventh, within 8 hours, I went shopping.

With my ninthe, within 12 hours, I took my daughter to dance, went out to eat, and shopped at the mall.

I just don't like to stay in bed after a birth, and get a sudden urge to get out and about and "do" something.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:27 AM

I went out the day after both births. I also ned to get out and do stuff or else I go stir crazy.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:48 PM

I took a trip to the bathroom shortly after giving birth both times (both natural births). Shortly being within 1-2 hours. I was shaky and weak, and was accompanied by a nurse or midwife. I would not have felt comfortable getting up on my own - I was pretty wiped out both times, and not steady on my feet.

I did not shower right after either birth. I would have been likely to fall and hurt myself.

I also have found that if I push myself with a lot of cleaning or walking around shortly after giving birth (first few weeks) that I end up exhausted and bleeding a lot more. So I know to listen to my body and spend most of my time just resting and nursing.

I had two long(ish), tough labors.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I remember being really curious about this before I had DD! When I had her (vaginal birth, no epi) I can't really say how soon I 'could' walk around, because I was hanging out on the bed for another hour or so waiting for the placenta to come out. After that I got up and had a shower... I will say, though, that it wasn't pleasant! I must have lost a fair amount of blood, and I was white as a sheet and very shaky. DH came into the big shower room with me and was a little worried I was going to faint; and he was holding the new baby, so what he would have done if I had I really don't know! After that I sat down again for a bit while family came to look at the baby, and then I walked out to the car so I could transfer to the birthing centre. I didn't do a lot of walking for a few days after that; it wasn't that I couldn't, but I was exhausted and felt pretty weak. Then I fainted a few weeks after the baby was born, after I'd been 'doing too much' (ie not lying flat on my back in bed).

I was a bit shocked, to be honest. I'd thought the idea of recuperating in bed for weeks after childbirth was tremendously Victorian, and that I should be sprightly and up and about within a day or two. I was wrong. Next time I'm going to plan for a lovely long convalescence... with a ruffled bedjacket, if necessary!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:06 AM

With my first, I had a nap after the birth (it was an extremely long, hard labour). But with my second I was up within a few minutes of giving birth. My legs were a bit shaky, but there was no reason I couldn't get up and move to a more comfortable spot (he came really quickly - I wasn't where I wanted to be so I moved).
Old 02-28-2009, 01:19 AM

I was pretty light-headed after my natural birth - lost a fair bit of blood. I could walk short distances but kept getting dizzy. It wasn't until about 12 hours after my birth that I could stand long enough to take a shower...

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

Old 02-28-2009, 03:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
While moms SHOULD take it easy after birth, that doesn't mean you can't walk around some! I think I got out of the birth tub about a half hour after birth (right after I birthed the placenta) and walked to my bed. A bit after that I took a shower. Do whatever feels ok to you.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Old 02-28-2009, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophieslion View Post
I was up after about 30mins for a shower and a clothes change
Same here.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:09 PM

I got up and walked to the bathroom a few hours after birth. Err, rather, I hobbled to the bathroom. I was very weak and tired because I had been laboring all day on very little sleep, had pushed for a long time, and my tailbone had broken so I was in tremendous pain from that. I did manage an old-lady shuffle though. I spent the next week in bed, only getting up to hobble to the bathroom. I couldn't stand up for a shower, I had to lay down in the tub.

It struck me as funny because I was in the same shape after my C-section, barely able to walk (once the meds wore off and they took out my cath, that is!), and I was expecting different after having a natural birth, sicne I had heard of women getting up and walking around like nothing happened! Boy was I wrong!
Old 02-28-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliaceae View Post
With my first birth I had an epidural, so I had to stay in bed for a while after I gave birth. If you have a natural birth, should you take it easy and lie down for a while afterward, or can you get up and get moving immediately?
I was up almost as soon as the doctor finished stitching me up and left. I had to pee, lol, dh didn't think it was a good idea I didn't see the issue, I was fine.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post
I have been shoping the day of giving birth. But I am a strange one.
well, lol, now that I think about it, I don't really like shopping under the best of circumstances, maybe that why its hard for me to imagine doing that first thing off the bat with my brand new baby.

dissertating mom to three

Old 02-28-2009, 10:19 PM

I had to walk from the birth tub to the bed (OUCH and DREADFUL!). Then after getting stitched up, they made me (mean midwives) go to the bathroom. But I did tear and that's probably why it hurt so much!

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
Old 03-08-2009, 05:08 AM

Well...uh...I had a natural birth -- a waterbirth at home. I did not know I was in labor until transition hit (at which point I thought I was dying), so my labor+birth took about 2 hours (probably less) from awareness to delivery.

During the time directly before transition, I went out shopping, ate lunch at a restaurant, etc. etc. Man, was I clueless!

After the birth, I cooked dinner for everyone (self, partner, midwife & her assistant). It did not occur to me at that time to take it easy and rest.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Say

Within an hour after the birth (after the midwives cleaned up) I went to take a shower and use the bathroom. I was dizzy and lightheaded as though I had the flu, but otherwise fine. I had honestly expected to feel a lot worse after childbirth than I did.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:17 PM

You can walk around pretty much as soon as you feel up to it. After I had my son a lactation consultant came in to try to breastfeed. I tried to walk a little after that, but had bad pains in my vagina. I had a bloodclot and had to have surgery for it, so I didn't do any walking until the next day, bright and early.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:25 PM
spu

after I was stitched up and nursed my babe, I walked to the bathroom. The wanted me to pee before moving me to my pp room. It was probably about 45 min later. I could completely move around, just a bit lightheaded... but that's how I get when I'm excited - my bp drops and my breathing rate slows... so they wanted me up and about.

But truthfully, maybe because I had a 2nd degree tear, it took 2w before I could walk my normal 'fast' pace to the mailbox... maybe I was a bit of a wimp... but it was such a weird sensation and I didn't know if I would tear the stitches, etc...

twins 7.02 ⢠DS 10.06 ⢠OMG #4 1.08 ⢠ebf + tandem nursing!
Old 03-10-2009, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I stood up and walked to the bed as soon as I had toweled dd off. I felt fine just hungry and tired (it was really late). I kept walking and getting up trying to push the placenta out and the MW couldn't believe it and wanted me to go rest. I don't have stairs but walking was no problem... sitting was what was hard the first few days.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by misswerewolf View Post
Well...uh...I had a natural birth -- a waterbirth at home. I did not know I was in labor until transition hit (at which point I thought I was dying), so my labor+birth took about 2 hours (probably less) from awareness to delivery.

During the time directly before transition, I went out shopping, ate lunch at a restaurant, etc. etc. Man, was I clueless!

After the birth, I cooked dinner for everyone (self, partner, midwife & her assistant). It did not occur to me at that time to take it easy and rest.

That's so funny. I knew I was in early labor but I still ate lunch at a restaurant, ran errands, picked up dinner, etc. too.

User Tag List