How soon are you able to walk around after natural birth? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 99 Old 03-10-2009, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It was probably about 15 minutes or so after my first baby, less than that after my second (btwn 5 & 10), but more than 24 hours after my twins b/c I had pph that time and couldn't walk w/o feeling like I was going to vomit/pass out, but that's not a typical thing (unless you have pph). It's good for you to get up and walk after the birth too - helps you get rid of blood clots and all.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#92 of 99 Old 03-11-2009, 12:36 AM

I walked to the bathroom maybe 20 min or so after the baby was born. I had one of those absorbant sheets between my legs, they wanted to have me urinate but I couldn't (because I probably had already peed myself), I was wheeled to the postpartum room, but I got up to use the bathroom pretty soon after, maybe an hour or so, changed my pad and "underwear," and yearned for a shower.
#93 of 99 Old 03-11-2009, 12:37 PM

I got up to pee about 20 mins after the birth (I had to be stitched a bit) and took a shower about an hour after. No drugs, natural birth.

Lucky wife to DH and mom to DS (10/02) and sweet DD (7/08) and DSD (3/93) and assorted animalia
#94 of 99 Old 03-11-2009, 03:27 PM

All of mine were born in early AM hours, so I hadn't slept yet (except for the 4 hour nap I took in the midst of my second birth). Even so, I was totally energized by the births, and able to do what I felt like. With my first (hospital birth), I was too absorbed with DS to go anywhere for the first 45 minutes or so, but I hopped right up and went to the bathroom as soon as I felt the urge, then got a nice, long shower when he fell asleep at about 2 hours PP.

With my second, I was in a birthing center, and I got up to use the bathroom about 10 minutes after DS arrived, then spent the next couple hours snuggling him with DH. Once they both fell asleep, though, I took a nice bath, made a bunch of phone calls and packed up our stuff so we could leave as soon as they woke up. The nurses thought I was a riot, be-bopping happily around the room while my husband slept.

With my third, I was home and birthed in a tub. The water was too cold for the baby, so I stood up within 2-3 minutes of his arrival and walked across the room to a couch. I wasn't shakey or anything after any of my births, just much more absorbed in looking at my baby than taking a stroll.
#95 of 99 Old 03-11-2009, 03:37 PM

Immediately after, I couldn't move. My muscles had done all they could, to the point where I could not even unsquat to sit down. Reminded me exactly of running a marathon.

But a couple hours later, I was really tired but still able to walk around and move. I slept all day/all night (well not solidly... I did have a baby haha).

Then the next day I was able to go out and about. I think the first week PP was actually crazy busy...I visited my family, DH's family, the ped, the hospital, went grocery shopping....now that I think about it...I had this weird feeling like our home was a cave and I had to get out. I wonder if it was b/c labored for 3 solid days inside.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#96 of 99 Old 03-12-2009, 07:58 AM

I was literally bouncing off the walls after my first was born. I was up and walking around before I delivered the placenta (I don't remember it feeling strange, but it was my first, so I didn't know what I was supposed to feel). My partner yelling "Tanya, come back here! You haven't delivered the placenta yet!" is something I'll never forget. I ended up delivering the placenta on the bathroom floor, lol. Then I showered, dressed, and insisted we take the baby over and show her to some friends. I actually wanted to walk over (it was only 6 blocks) but my partners insisted on driving me. So I was over at my friend's within two hours of giving birth.

My second birth (twins) knocked me out. I lost a LOT of blood. It took a couple of days before I stopped feeling light-headed everytime I stood up. I was back to normal within four or five days, though.

I was an emotional wreck after my third birth, but could probably have done the same things I did after my first if I'd had the motivation.

I was up within five minutes of having Jesse and Davin, then drove my older twins to gymnastics the next afternoon. The reactions of the people at the gym when they found out I'd given birth 15 hours ago were amusing. I particularly loved the other mothers asking me when I'd gotten out of the hospital. Me (looking very confused): "Why would I have been in the hospital? I wasn't sick."

My births are relatively quick, though, and I've never torn, so I'm sure that plays a part in how fast I'm back on my feet.

Tanya ~~ mother to: Beth, 12 -- Cali & Trent, 9 -- Melanie, 8 -- Jesse & Davin, 5 -- Baby Shae 9/1/2009
#97 of 99 Old 03-12-2009, 09:03 AM

I was able to walk around the house immediately, but ended up having to have a spinal block & manual placenta removal, so was in bed for maybe six hours after that.

The thing that surprised me on our first trip out of the house (seven days pp, normally a 10 minute walk to the local supermarket) was how sore my pelvic floor was! I could, and did, walk that far, but it hurt!

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
#98 of 99 Old 03-16-2009, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I stayed in bed for a bit, holding my naked little baby and nursing for the first time, but I imagine I *could* have walked right after (although my legs were shaky). After I got stitches (I had two tears - one in my perineum, one horizontal one in my labia), I walked to the toilet (with the nurse, who showed me how to use the little water bottle for cleaning) and back to the bed. Honestly, I felt better walking around just then than I did in the next few days. If I hadn't had the tears and stitches, I would've felt good otherwise, though. I shuffled along for a couple of days, but by 3-4 days afterward, I could go on short walks, shopping, etc.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#99 of 99 Old 03-16-2009, 04:48 PM

I had a natural birth in a hospital and was up and walking around (and showering) within an hour of giving birth. The nurses were didn't believe I had just had a baby lol.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page