How soon are you able to walk around after natural birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 99 Old 02-20-2009, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With my first birth I had an epidural, so I had to stay in bed for a while after I gave birth. If you have a natural birth, should you take it easy and lie down for a while afterward, or can you get up and get moving immediately?

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#2 of 99 Old 02-20-2009, 11:49 PM

I was up and taking a shower about an hour later and out for a walk and groceries the next morning (about 15 hours laters).

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#3 of 99 Old 02-20-2009, 11:51 PM

I had a very, very late epidural (as in I was pushing when they put it in), and it had worn off pretty much as soon as they stitched up my episiotomy (whole nother story there), and I actually hopped up out of bed when they brought in the wheel chair to wheel me down to my maternity floor room. I was seriously feeling like I could run a marathon at that point. Not sure why, but my body was so energized after pushing my son out, I really felt this huge rush of adrenalin.

By the time I got to my regular room, though, I was pretty dead on my feet. The first time I got up to go to the bathroom, I could barely walk, and pretty much for a week after, I couldn't stand up without intense pain and pressure. I had a third degree tear, so I really think that had a lot to do with it.

Not sure if this helps, but my birth was pretty much a natural birth with just a bit of an epi for literally just a few minutes. I really think it depends on how much damage has been done to your perinium and how long and hard you pushed for. I didn't push long, but I had some serious damage to my perinium, and it really wasn't happy with me standing until it was much more healed.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#4 of 99 Old 02-20-2009, 11:52 PM

My first was at a birth center and I was able to walk around physically shortly after, but I didn't have the energy. Labor had started in the morning and I just couldn't get myself to eat, so my last real meal was dinner. I had my son a bit after lunchtime. This time I'll definitely force the calories one way or another to avoid the low blood sugar. It was a couple of days before I really wanted to be up and walking around though. Even though I had a great birth, I still felt like I'd been hit by a train for a week or so. But it was perfect, I hope this one is as smooth!
#5 of 99 Old 02-20-2009, 11:53 PM

i got up and peed on my own within a half hour of delivering. i was so back to normal so fast that people said "you don't look like you just had a baby at all."

for that and other reasons, i strongly recommend drug free birth if you can take the pain of transition, it's not bad! and the recovery is great!!

#6 of 99 Old 02-20-2009, 11:56 PM

I had two natural births. After both I got up after the nurses left (I don't know, maybe 15 minutes later?) and took a shower, got a new nightie and took a walk around the ward.

I remember the ped that was coming to check my son couldn't believe I was the mom as he had never seen a mom walking around like that. I felt great after the birth.

Mom of two boys (7/05 and 2/09)
#7 of 99 Old 02-21-2009, 12:13 AM

For me it takes awhile. Hours, sometime a day. I can walk to the bathroom but I might pass out. No way I could shower before 24 hours. I've been with plenty of women though who were up and about right away though. I had a friend who was cleaning her house the next morning. I thought she was nuts lol.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#8 of 99 Old 02-21-2009, 12:28 AM

I walked form the delivery room to my hospital room, while carrying the baby! about 1/2 hour after I gave birth naturally. I would have gotten up sooner but the doctor wanted to check to see if I had an tearing and was waiting for the placenta to come out.
I also had a bowel movement a couple hours later. Sorry, but I'm mighty proud of that

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#9 of 99 Old 02-21-2009, 12:31 AM

Um, right away? I had an epidural with my first and was paralyzed for a good hour or two afterward. I didn't feel like running a marathon after my natural births, but I was up and taking a shower and such.

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

#10 of 99 Old 02-21-2009, 12:34 AM

I had a late epidural...I hit 10 cm while it was being administered. Just over twenty minutes later DS was born, so the only effect it had on me was a slightly numb right foot. I got stitched up from my episiotomy and shortly afterward tried to get up to pee...I was so swollen down there I couldn't, so I had to get cathed.

I remember feeling higher than a kite...from all of the endorphins flooding my system. It was awesome! I able to walk around easily the next day.

Jackie, Catholic mama to Elijah (6/07) & Gabriel (2/10) and our angel baby, m/c 7/29/12. Expecting someone new in October 2014!
#11 of 99 Old 02-21-2009, 12:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I had an epidural with my first, that completely deadened me for awhile, but thankfully it was turned down when I was pushing, and then with all the stuff that happened afterwards (delivering the placenta, stitching the small vaginal tears, nursing the baby), I was able to get up and walk by the time I was being moved from the delivery room to the maternity room. Then I walked into the bathroom after I got to the room, but a nurse stood in the room with me while I urinated, which made it much harder.

My second was a homebirth. I tore a fair amount and had to have about 10 stitches, so I was on my back for awhile with that and then nursing, but I was able to get up and go to the bathroom and to take a shower after that. I felt steadier on my feet, but I stayed in bed that night because of the tear. The next day I got up, got dressed and came downstairs. Everytime I had to go to the bathroom, I would go upstairs to my bedroom, because of the stitches made the whole bathroom thing a trick, and I had my peri bottle and other things there, so it was just easier to use the upstairs bathroom. I was told to stay in bed and keep my legs close together, but honestly, it didn't feel like a problem to go up and down stairs. I think mentally I should have stayed in bed another day, though.
#12 of 99 Old 02-21-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliesMomma View Post
i got up and peed on my own within a half hour of delivering. i was so back to normal so fast that people said "you don't look like you just had a baby at all."
:

I took a nice long shower about an hour after DD was born. I climbed the steps to the bathroom with no problems at all. I felt good after my homebirth, tired but perfectly fine.

''''

#13 of 99 Old 02-21-2009, 12:44 AM

No drugs with either and I was walked out of the hospital with both about 1.5 hours after they were born (and had gotten up earlier to pee and shower with both even after 2 days of labour!). Was out for the next day with both for a brief shopping trip (each time to pick up something for babe I was convinced I needed that second! . Wouldn't say I was fast moving, but moving at your own pace is completely reasonable (just don't push it else you'll bleed heavier/longer).

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#14 of 99 Old 02-21-2009, 12:46 AM

Within 15-20 minutes, although sooner was possible if I was willing to stop adoring my little one LOLOL

One of the biggest reasons I'll never do pain meds is because I refuse to be 'stuck' in bed. Drives me batty!

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#15 of 99 Old 02-21-2009, 12:47 AM

I wasn't able to walk for at least an hour or so. In fact, I was so shaky I had trouble holding dd to my breast at first. Of course, she was over 10 lbs, so that might be part of it! Several hours later I had trouble making it to the bathroom due to nearly paralyzing back pain when I stood up...but aside from my mother, I am the only one I have heard of with that problem...I'm guessing it's a genetic thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyfire View Post
My first was at a birth center and I was able to walk around physically shortly after, but I didn't have the energy. Labor had started in the morning and I just couldn't get myself to eat, so my last real meal was dinner. I had my son a bit after lunchtime. This time I'll definitely force the calories one way or another to avoid the low blood sugar.
Good luck on that, lillyfire. I ate half a sandwich 7 hours before my last birth and I hadn't digested any of it by the time I hit transition...bye bye sandwich...if you know what I mean Apparently all the blood is used elsewhere and none is left for digestion. Although, I've heard honey sticks are an easily absorbed source of energy for childbirth.

::: Mama to Feingold target: Sebastian(10/05) and Savannah, my allergy princess (b 6/08). Avoiding dairy, corn, soy, oats, sesame, eggs, nuts, seafood, and banana
#16 of 99 Old 02-21-2009, 12:51 AM

I had a 2.5 hour natural labor and she nursed off and on for about an hour before I got up and took a shower. I had no problem being up and moving around though unlike my highly medicalized first birth. I wasn't even strong enough to lift my first daughter for most of the first week.
#17 of 99 Old 02-21-2009, 01:16 AM

About half an hour or so both times so far.

-Angela
#18 of 99 Old 02-21-2009, 01:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was taking a shower 30 minutes after DD1 was born, it was night so I went to bed after that. The next day I had no problems walking around. I was up and about immediately after DD2 was born, the next day I took a walk around the neighborhood with no soreness at all.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#19 of 99 Old 02-21-2009, 01:21 AM

I was up and about as soon as I was done with the initial admiring the baby/breastfeeding session/placenta delivery. After my first birth, in which I'd been up all night and pushed for 4 hours, I was a little shaky. Second I felt fine, just really hollow which was disconcerting, and third I told my midwife "I've had sex that caused more damage down there." lol I tend to crash a bit later, getting shaky and tired, though, but a nap & snack sorts me back to rights and I am fully capable of taking myself to the bathroom, etc the whole time.
#20 of 99 Old 02-21-2009, 01:21 AM

I had a 13-hour labor. I tore, but I got up to pee shortly after the birth. Don't remember how long it was. maybe an hour? I passed out on the toilet and the MW had to tweak my nipple to wake me up! Ow!

Because of the tear and some blood loss, I was really slow getting up and around. I didn't go downstairs in my house for like two weeks. My partner brought provisions upstairs and we had everything else we needed.

I did shuffle around a bit here and there, but no stairs or anything. I'm confident it would have been much worse and way more traumatic in the hospital. So glad to be at home and drug-free!

I've heard that getting up and being too active can contribute to Pelvic Organ Prolapse, so I really believe in taking it easy and enjoying the babymoon as much as possible after giving birth.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#21 of 99 Old 02-21-2009, 01:25 AM

i took a shower 10 or 15 minutes later, but didn't go for a long walk or anything.
#22 of 99 Old 02-21-2009, 01:42 AM

I walked from the birth pool to the futon on the floor right away. I sat there and drank hot RRL tea and cooed over the baby and ate cinnamon rolls and tried to convince her to open her eyes and all that jazz for about 45 minutes, then I took a shower. I probably wouldn't have been so excited to shower except she started getting rid of her mec within 5 minutes of being born.

With ds, I walked from the birth pool through the house to the bed within five minutes of birth.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#23 of 99 Old 02-21-2009, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani'smommy View Post
i took a shower 10 or 15 minutes later, but didn't go for a long walk or anything.
Yes, same here. After the shower, I ate and called family and started to nurse the baby. I really got the "new momma high" from natural childbirth.
#24 of 99 Old 02-21-2009, 01:52 AM

I went to the bathroom to pee not long after. But generally I felt like my mid-section had been hit by a truck (I got the same feeling after my medicated births, once the meds wore off, which was pretty quickly). The hit-by-a-truck feeling I get usually lasts more than a few hours and I prefer to lay in bed, getting up for the bathroom and nursing only, that first day. I usually don't make it to the shower till the next day - just too tired (why is it that I never have a good sleep in the days leading up to delivery). I guess I'm one of the few who appreciates two days in the hospital for this reason - surprisingly, much more peace and quiet than my own house and with far fewer demands on me.

The one aspect that, predictably, has gotten more difficult with each birth is the pain with nursing, or afterpains, as my mother used to call them. I had to stop nursing my most recent one (baby #5) in the middle of his first nursing session because the contractions were pretty darn painful - much like labor. It wasn't until later that I discovered percocet lol. Next time, if the birth is without meds again, I'll request a percocet the moment that baby is out, to prepare me for that first nursing (I can't take ibuprofen when I'm about to start coumadin, and the tylenol didn't touch this pain). The afterpains were that bad for about three days, gradually improving after that.
#25 of 99 Old 02-21-2009, 01:55 AM

once the placenta's out

you can walk before that but it's odd
#26 of 99 Old 02-21-2009, 03:38 AM

I could but for reasons unknown I was in a weird state of shock. I was shaky and very uncertain of anything. I did get out of the pool right after the placenta was delivered and got into bed but I had some help (my balance wasn't great). Later (after being stitched up) I got up and used the bathroom and then sat on the couch and ate some food while I held the baby.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#27 of 99 Old 02-21-2009, 12:52 PM

It was probably an hour and a half, not because I wanted to wait that long, but because everyone took their time. I was stitched up, and waited until after baby wanted to nurse (not interested at first, too curious) and got a good amount of time nursing. I will also say after my c-section I was moving my legs before I hit the recovery room. I would have gotten up and walked had I thought it was an option.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#28 of 99 Old 02-21-2009, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Soon as the placenta came and I'd met with baby for a while, maybe 20 minutes after birth? I took a shower then was getting baby into the ring sling to walk to the other hospital room when they brought a wheelchair in, it seems I wasn't allowed to walk anywhere or carry my baby.
#29 of 99 Old 02-21-2009, 01:20 PM

Well, I was able to go to the shower and bathroom with just a little leaning on people in the first day, and then able to go to the bathroom alone in the following days. But I really recommend not trying to get up and around too much even if you do feel like it. Your body needs to recover no matter how good a birth you had. Pelvic organ prolapse is not fun.
#30 of 99 Old 02-21-2009, 01:54 PM

My first birth was pretty rough on me, and I had issues with passing out afterward, and although it was a drug-free birth, I stayed in bed for about 24 hours or so afterward because I was afraid I was going to pass out! My second birth was also drug-free but I was up in the shower about an hour later, maybe a little sooner, though I could have gotten up before then if I wasn't busy nursing my new little one! My second child was bigger and in an unideal position for birth and labor was twice as long, yet the recovery was so much easier all around.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page