Tell me about your birth center and/or homebirth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-27-2009, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's so weird because up until the last few weeks, I really wanted to have the baby in the birth center. For some reason, it felt more comfortable then my home. *Almost* a hospital setting, so I felt safer. I think it had to do with not being happy in my house. But, the last few weeks we've done some major re-arranging and buying of furniture, and things are so much more home-y to me now! (Can't believe it took us 4 months from moving in to do that ) Now I love our house. I like coming home to it. And the more I think about the birth, the more I love the idea of it....after the birth, being able to climb back in my bed with my baby, etc.

My big thing about the birth center was their awesome tub that I can labor or birth in. Our tub is small, uncomfortable, and about 60 years old, so nasty looking, no matter how many times we scrub it. But I realized, when reading birth stories and seeing births, that it would mean a lot to me to be able to have my DH in the tub with me. He can't fit, even in the birth center tub, so our little tub is not any different. And it just came to me...we could RENT a tub. Or even buy a blow up pool or something. And the midwives will bring everything to our house that they have at the birth center. And I am literally 2 miles from a hospital.

So why not?? What's stopping me?

I need some help making this decision. Can you tell me what you liked and disliked about your birth center birth and/or your homebirth?

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2009, 03:47 AM

I had a birth in a Birth Center. I loved my birth, and feel very blessed. What I like was-

* Compassionate and understand OB that encouraged me to have the birth I wanted, and was very pro-natural birth. He also had a very low c-section rate, induction rate, and interventions.

* Different options for laboring and birthing. Bed, tub, birth pool, birth stool, birth ball. Ofcourse you could have all that at home, or turn things into it (toilet for birth stool).

* On hand breastfeeding help from a Lactation Consultant.

* Felt more right and comfortable. I was not comfortable in birthing at our house, which we were renting at the time. Perhaps if we had owned it, it may be a different story.

* Having people care for me and help me when I wanted/needed it. And also leaving me, DH, and Hunter alone also. Very peaceful there.

I guess the main reason for me was that I had the extra help and just felt right and comfortable to me.You mentioned a birth pool so your DH could come in... can your Birth Center or home Midwive rent a bigger one? The one at our B.C. was either a jacuzzi tub or a blow up birth pool which was really big, and I have seen them on the internet for rent. I think you should birth where you feel the most comfort. Whether it be at home or at a B.C., I wish you the greatest birth!
Old 02-28-2009, 02:09 PM

I didn't have the option of a birth center, so we had a homebirth and it was great. It was super hard as any birth, but we rented a birth pool and had a successful water birth. I can't compare it to anything else, but I can say that my husband was actually holding me up from the outside as I leaned against the side of the tub to push, and the water made me more buoyant which was really helpful. It was just so nice to be able to labor for 13 hours and never have to worry about going anywhere, or timing arriving at the hospital right to avoid interventions. I had three amazing midwives, two of whom have been LLL leaders. I also felt I couldn't have moved around easily after the birth, so already being in my house made the first few days really nice. I didn't get in a car for like 3 weeks. I would have considered a birth center had it been available, but I probably would have ended up at home.

I should probably be doing something else right now.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I started out my last pregnancy thinking I'd use the freestanding birth center. But then I started thinking about having to ride in the car while in labor, putting a screaming newborn in a car seat to drive home, not having full access to my kitchen and all the food/beverages I may want at any point, having to pack and bring stuff with us. Talked to my midwife, and they have the same emergency equiptment at home as at the BC. So what was the point of all the hassle? Homebirth was easier. I bought a la bassine and supplies and had a wonderful homebirth. My ds2 didn't even leave the house until he was a week old! No car seat hassles until that point. It was fabulous!

If you want to do it at home, why not?

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Old 02-28-2009, 10:23 PM

Birth Center
* loved that I had someone else to do all the clean up, set up, etc. without having to stress about it

* I was the only one there, so it was me, DH and my midwife! I loved the peaceful setting

* I would have been distracted at home- too much going on, etc.

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
Old 02-28-2009, 11:46 PM

I had the most amazing homebirth last March. I bought an inflatable "fishy pool" for $20-odd, and it was fabulous--really terrific, and we used it the rest of that summer as a play pool for the kids.

My MW was amazing, did all the cleanup, took wonderful care of me. It was so great to go upstairs after the birth to take a bath in my own bath; to hang out on the couch the rest of that day, watching basketball (March madness ) and cuddling with dd; to take a nap in our own bed all together that afternoon...it was really a completely opposite experience than my hospital birth with ds (which was mostly fine).

The best was not having to worry about being separated from ds; having to drive anywhere at any point; just being in an institutional setting of any kind--I'm a pretty independent and private person, so being at home was just right for me, yk?

We were a few miles at most from two hospitals, so if anything had gone seriously wrong, I'd have called 911.

If you feel that this is calling you, DO IT! I still feel the glow of mine.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

User Tag List