How can i find out what was done after-the-fact? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-22-2003, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is going to sound completely irresponsible and ignorant of me, but i was wondering how i would go about finding out what procedures were done on me and dd at her birth at the hospitol. I was so nieve when dd was born and i had no idea the kinds of things the doctors will do without even asking you!!! It makes me angry to this day, but is there anything i can do now, like does the hospitol keep files this long?? I really wanted to find out what tests dd had and what they gave her (i know vitamin K, but i don't know what else) and about my tearing and how the doctor repaired it. . . .is that too much detail, would they keep records of that much info?? Thanks in advance ladies!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2003, 11:06 AM

You should have an OR report in your medical file at your ob/gyn's office. I asked for mine 2 years later and it was funny, I did not remember that she was placed on my abdomen for bonding but there it was in the report. I got the feeling she'd been whisked away and I didn't see her until later. Later my dh and a lost-and-found photo proved that she had indeed been placed on my belly right after the birth.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 12-22-2003, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Doctors are actually liable for any damage done to the baby and can be sued up to eighteen years after the birth by the parents; the child can sue up to the age of nineteen;

...Therefore, there should be records kept at the hospital and at the doctor's office.

There may be a charge for this, but you should get them as soon as is possible.

I do not know how old your child is, but all of you MDC mothers should know that when you register your child in school, you are asked for your child's condition at birth (often the actual Apgar Score), whether or not the baby was premature, if there were breathing problems, if the baby had any kind of surgery or unusual procedure do which could compromise their oxygen supply, and thereby their brain activity. This would affect attention span, small and large motor coordination, speech patterns, etc.

These questions are common during IEP's, school legal proceedings during which you are invited to be present with the principal, the special education teacher, your student's teacher, the school nurse, the school psychologist, and any other VIP.

The Bottom Line: You are expected to know about your child and what happened to him/her. If it is of no consequence, why would the school ask every parent these questions?

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 12-26-2003, 08:34 PM

You can get the records, but I found that they weren't entirely accurate.

I remember seeing my and ds's record because we transferred from our pediatrican to a family practitioner and I read through the new file. I saw on there that it said AROM (artificial rupture of membranes), which wasn't true. My water still hadn't broken near the very end of my labor, and I remember the nurse asking me if I wanted her to break it. I told her no, that I would wait a little while longer. A minute or two later it broke on it's own. I was in the tub and hadn't had any exams during this time, so I know they didn't break it.

But I doubt there would be mistakes about whether a VIT K shot was given. I have to admit, I am not sure about this either, and am curious to look it up. I can't believe I would have missed something like this, but I'm not sure when they do it and I was pretty out of it for about a 1/2 hour or so. Ds was never taken out of the room, but he wasn't put with me immediately because they had to give him some oxygen due to an extremely tight cord around his neck. Dh was with him the entire time, but he doesn't remember seeing him get a shot. However, I don't remember signing a waiver or anything like that, so I kind of assume it was done.

User Tag List