Cesarean support circle V (December 12) - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 177 Old 02-07-2004, 01:28 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
If I may add just a bit to this...

In general we do try to uphold an atmosphere of respect for support threads in that posts which have the potential to turn tone to defensive posting are discouraged. I think the exception to this would be in the case that misinformation is being conveyed. Of course, no matter what the topic, members of the community will speak up when they see misinformation posted which has the potential to mislead readers. That's not to say that that has taken place in this thread. I'm just explaining expectations for a support thread.

Another thing - we are opening a cesarean delivery subforum soon. MamaOui, the mod for that new forum, has just delivered and as soon as she feels read to get started we'll set it up. However, the board will not be a support only forum nor will we restrict posting to only those who have had cesareans. I think we can continue to have support threads like this one but the new board will host posts of education and information about the negative aspects of cesarean delivery just as it will host the support threads. If you have any questions or concerns about this you can email me administrator@mothering.com

Now, let's allow this support thread to continue along its supportive path.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 177 Old 02-07-2004, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Cynthia Mosher
If I may add just a bit to this...

In general we do try to uphold an atmosphere of respect for support threads in that posts which have the potential to turn tone to defensive posting are discouraged. I think the exception to this would be in the case that misinformation is being conveyed. Of course, no matter what the topic, members of the community will speak up when they see misinformation posted which has the potential to mislead readers. That's not to say that that has taken place in this thread. I'm just explaining expectations for a support thread.

Another thing - we are opening a cesarean delivery subforum soon. MamaOui, the mod for that new forum, has just delivered and as soon as she feels read to get started we'll set it up. However, the board will not be a support only forum nor will we restrict posting to only those who have had cesareans. I think we can continue to have support threads like this one but the new board will host posts of education and information about the negative aspects of cesarean delivery just as it will host the support threads. If you have any questions or concerns about this you can email me administrator@mothering.com

Now, let's allow this support thread to continue along its supportive path.
Oy, I was looking really forward to the subforum but now wondering if I will or not. IT looks like it will be a forum to be filled with all the anti- judgemental csection over dramatized information that is often already put out there bothers me. :::sigh:::
#153 of 177 Old 02-07-2004, 12:43 PM

Kim, we can still have our Cesarean Support Circle thread on the Cesarean subforum. The bonus will be that people will actually be able to find us, because "cesarean" will be listed in the forum divisions. And I'm being optimistic... because there will be a whole subforum called "cesarean" to post under, there will be no need for anyone to post unnecessarily to our thread (which seems to be the only thing around named "cesarean"). We asked for it--let's see how it works.

Cynthia, can we call it cesarean birth? After all, it's still birth. I don't think the vaginal folks would like theirs called delivery, either.
#154 of 177 Old 02-07-2004, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
I think that's a fine name for it. Can't think of any reason why not!!

Kim let's be optimistic that the forum will be a valuable one from all aspects.

#155 of 177 Old 02-07-2004, 01:39 PM

I did see it coming that the new forum would not be about support. (no smilie to get me in trouble)

I would also like to request that anyone who wants to educate the "uneducated" (Ie- us, evidently) take it to their won threads, where we can respond if we want to, and not try to take over our support thread with their knowledge, that they feel we are laking

I would like to just reiterate what this thread has been for me. It has been a place to come and talk with well educated women who happen to be AP, who have had c-births. We can discuss our feelings, esp. being a part of a "natural" community, and having the most "unnatural" of births, and how we feel judged for that on a daily basis. We can discuss alternatives to c-birth, we can talk about VBAC and it's benefits and risks. Some of us are thankful for our c-births and KNOW that they were necessary and life saving for us and/or our babes(and do not feel the need to be educated about how we could've had a vaginal birth safely). Some feel that theie c-births were unnecessary, and need to talk about it without being labeled "uneducated", they can get support for the sadness over their birth, without judgement on their intelligence. We support any decision a mama makes, as we know that MDC mamas take their time and educate themselves on their options, and in the end, know how to listen to their bodies, and do what is best for their own babies.

This is a support thread, frequented by mamas who know a lot about c-birth, and VBAC, and all related issues. I think we are doing quite well helping each other out, and if at some point we feel that people online know more about our bodies than we and our Dr.s do, well... then, we'll start a new thread and ask for the wisdom of others

OK, crying babe- off I go. Hopefully we can just get back to support now

PS- how long did everyone's bleeding last PP? Mine just picked up again (after being completely gone) at 2 weeks out.

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#156 of 177 Old 02-07-2004, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
how long did it take for everone's incision to heal COMPLETELY??
mine is just now at its very last point of being almost completly closed!
yuck!
each side closed up real well but the middle just takes for ever!
i put hydro on it and its not infevted or anything, but did any of you have this to?

thanks much all
#157 of 177 Old 02-07-2004, 01:55 PM

I never had any problems with my incisions healing like that I would call my OB if I were you.

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#158 of 177 Old 02-07-2004, 02:00 PM

well he knows about it and said the same thing
i would go back every week for a month after the 6 weeks of having the c section but after going back 1 a week for 4 weeks i coulndt deal with sitting in the waiting room for a nhour and sitting in his room for an hour WAITING for him to just look at it and say, well looks clean see ya in a week!
meanwhile i have two children and a husband all in the room with me trying therer hardest to deal with it all!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

LOL

so my girl freind who had one 9 mos b4 me said her's took a while to heal. it isnt GAPEING open just having a hard time closeing in the middle, anyone eles?
#159 of 177 Old 02-07-2004, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jess7396
PS- how long did everyone's bleeding last PP? Mine just picked up again (after being completely gone) at 2 weeks out.
Barely a week except for the occasional tiny trickle for another several.

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#160 of 177 Old 02-07-2004, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Monkey
how long did it take for everone's incision to heal COMPLETELY??
Three-ish weeks. My OB is AWESOME!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#161 of 177 Old 02-07-2004, 05:03 PM

wow 3 weeks!!

wheres your ob? LOL

well i guess everyone is diffrent,
#162 of 177 Old 02-07-2004, 08:42 PM

Eek! Incision still open in the middle???? Mine healed super fast (it was still numb/tender in areas for a long time, though, but the incision was closed and "pretty" very quickly).

Post-partum bleeding... I stopped w/i 2 weeks and then started up again, too (which I saw as a signal to slow down, and I did). It definitely wasn't my 1st post-partum period (because I didn't get that for another yr).
#163 of 177 Old 02-07-2004, 09:10 PM

Yeah, I was thinking maybe the returned bleeding was a sign to slow down too, I guess I will

I am 2 weeks out right now, and my incision is perfect. Granted my OB has a a background in plastic surgery, so I guess she had better "clean" patients up pretty well

A couple more questions I forgot to ask(we were busy discussing my surgery at my one week check), and can't remember from before- how long before I can take tub baths? And how long before I can lift my older kids safely? (they're both around 30 pounds) I know the driving restriction was lifted at 2 weeks, but I can't remember the rest of that stuff. The sex restriction- not an issue :LOL

#164 of 177 Old 02-07-2004, 09:41 PM

jess, do u have the stickys on your incison? I had these little stickys on mine for a while until they fell off. at two weeks mine was still pretty fresh. u must be a super quick healer! what are you taken? LOL

glad you are well, my ob said 6 weeks for sex and 1 a week for baths.
#165 of 177 Old 02-07-2004, 09:46 PM

it was like a 2 inch opining righht in the middle of the incision. and u know what the heck is the ob ganna do? sew me up? i had staples and they were taken out adn it looked good. but the stubburn middle just wouldnt close up. it is gross i know and i cant stand it but now today i looked and its about as big as a pea. weird my ob said that im as healthy as a horse and not to worry so im not. its not infected and iot does not hurt
its just gross my stomach has gone down so much now that just standing in the up looking in the mirror i can see it. befor i had to hold up the stomach!
LOL:LOL

i had my son 10-29-03 its been a while.
#166 of 177 Old 02-07-2004, 09:49 PM

No, no steri strips this time, although I had them in the past. I really think the difference in healing is the difference in surgeon for me. I guess the outside of my body heals well, but the inside- not so good: .

Oooo- so I could take baths now? I would be very excited about that, for some reason I was thinking I had to wait 6 weeks for baths. I to take a nice hot bath at night, while dh takes time with the kiddos , and he bought me a bubbling bath mat thing for Christmas, that I only used once while pregnant, that would be ooh so nice to use now

#167 of 177 Old 02-07-2004, 09:52 PM

im mean look my insicion hasnt healed i wouldnt take my ob advice

jk
but i would ask
i remember 6 weeks sex a 1 bath a week..

enjoy enjoy!
#168 of 177 Old 02-07-2004, 11:40 PM

hi, first let me say how happy i am to find this support thread. when i first found mothering i loved it. then when i looked for info on c/b i had to step back. it took me a while to find this thread, but am i glad i did. all of you that have been advocating for a new forum: you are my heros. the information provide here, like c/b plans, how to prepare, how to manage post op, are invaluable. i have many questions ready when the c/b sub-forum is ready! (and i am very optomistic. and if anti-c/b posters arrive we can just start a thread titled "how to educate those who think everyone who has c/b needs educatin'"

to answer other's questions based on my own experience:

1. it was about 2 months before the pain from the internal incisions stopped. my outside incision healed pretty quickly.
2. i had pp bleeding for 6 weeks.
3. i was told to wait 10 days before i got the incision wet. don't know about baths. the thought of cleaning the tub put that thought out of my mind.
4. i got the sticky tape because my ob told me that it would make the scar less noticible. however i seldom wore them because my scar is so low, i don't even see it.

-su
#169 of 177 Old 02-08-2004, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Monkey
wow 3 weeks!!

wheres your ob? LOL

well i guess everyone is diffrent,
Dallas, move here and we'll get together.

#170 of 177 Old 02-08-2004, 05:56 PM

LOL megs mom
u know, i used to live in texas, way doiwn south in UVALDE

YUP go ahead and blink its bigger than u think kinnipa tx was rigt next door.. what a joke that was. i went there tolive with my best freind and "try" collage HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

:LOL
#171 of 177 Old 02-08-2004, 06:10 PM

Hey gals....

: :

Now that that is out of my system.....

I'm 10 days past c/b and my bleeding is minimal. With my ds it was gone at about 3 weeks (sex resumed just after that) and baths then too. I think the key to those 2 things is bleeding. Once it is gone you are "allowed" to do anything.

No I'm hoping that my bleeding this time is almost gone. With my ds at 6 weeks pp I had my first ppaf (and yes I bfed exclusively every 1.5 hours day and night....instant fertility I guess....)

I have the steri strips but they are starting to fall off. My incision is also getting back feeling. I'm also barely taking pain killer, maybe one percocet every 2 days.

My ob said when you feel confortable doing something you can. I'm ready for the 2 week mark to be up aso I can carry ds again.. I can't believe i miss that!

Oh, and my ob said to expect a start up of bright red blood again around 2 weeks or so from where the scab from the placenta falls off. Maybe that is what some of you are experiencing.

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#172 of 177 Old 02-08-2004, 08:17 PM

I had a really great VBAC dream last night... And the baby looked like a white, red-headed Buckwheat--even down to the look on his face... (very funny... the red hair will probably happen, but *everyone* in our family has very boring straight hair).

But I had kind of a "mixed" hospital tour yesterday. The hospital itself is fabulous, but the women leading the "orientation" session didn't know diddly squat about anything (and said some erroneous things about car seats ), so I think I'm going to have to call our pediatrician and the L & D nurses' station to get the answers. I'm disappointed, because all this sort of info was available in the tour at the hospital I birthed at in CA. Oh well. I'm writing them a letter with some suggestions of things to change...

Anyway, I'm feeling all pysched about our doula and working on our birth plan etc. I also realized this morning that I need to work on our "contingency" plans, too. My practice will let me go to 42 wks, but I seriously doubt any longer than that. My ob is the most popular one there, and I realized that I probably ought to talk to her about whether I should go ahead and get on her schedule right now for a C at 42 wks or shortly thereafter... I really don't want to do it, because it seems like it's bad karma (everything looks very positive for the VBAC), but it also seems like it would be smart, because I just don't really believe they're going to let me go any later (one of the compromises I have made and accepted is that I am at an OB only practice), and if I have to have a C, I want her to do it.

I'm 27 wks now, and everything is great...

Editing because I want to add more explanation for why I'd like to get something on the schedule... my OB is the most popular one there, *and* she's had a VBAC herself... I'm afraid that if the need to schedule a C arises later on, either she'll be too booked up and I'll have to go with someone else, or I'll have to do it earlier than I would like in order to have her do it.

The baby has about 5 elbows this morning, and they're all aimed at my bellybutton, which is a little tender...
#173 of 177 Old 02-09-2004, 08:48 PM

My pp bleeding stopped (except for the occasional spotting) about 2.5-3 weeks pp. Unfortunately for me, and despite ebfing, af has now returnef 13 weeks pp. Darn. I think that's why my incision was feeling oddly over the last week or so.

My incision "closed" about 3-4 weeks pp. I had a lot of oozing and one-side that just wouldn't heal, but no infection.
#174 of 177 Old 02-09-2004, 08:56 PM

I have a question about timing of pg and being a candidate for a VBAC. My OB said to wait 2 years for complete healing to be a good candidate for a VBAC. Is that 2 years from delivery to delivery or 2 years from delivery to start of next pregnancy (or something in between)? In an ideal world I'd love to have my kids 30 months apart, but only if that will be a safe amount of healing time for a VBAC trial. I'm not planning on ttc anytime soon, but I guess I just want to plan ahead.

Thanks!
#175 of 177 Old 02-10-2004, 04:34 PM

I've never heard the 2 yr rule. I got pg with Sweetpea when ds was aboput 5 months old and was told I was a candidate....

I was also an "unlucky" one with af returning at 6 weeks pp with t...we'll see how it goes this time!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#176 of 177 Old 02-10-2004, 05:25 PM

I was told 18 months from delivery to delivery, and that is exactly what I had with my first 2, and I was planning to VBAC.

#177 of 177 Old 02-10-2004, 11:38 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page