VBAC birth plan? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-29-2003, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
I am a new doula, and have a client who is planning a VBAC. I am wondering if anyone can direct me to a good birth plan that is specfic to VBACs?

Thanks
Jeanette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2003, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would imagine they would be the same as a non-VBAC birth. It might be nice to add some plans for a cesarean birth, and to suggest natural ways to augment labor should it need it, vs. pharmaceutical induction or augmentation.

Henci Goer's The THinking Woman's Guide is a great place to start. She rocks, and has a fabulous section on VBACs.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Pamamidwife,

My Thinking Womans is out at a clients - I'm trying to get it back

I guess I was thinking about things like induction/augmentation pressure (since we know that this is not wise with a VBAC) and possibly other requests that might be made of a VBAC woman (IV, continuous monitoring, etc). Of course, those requests are made of almost all women in hospitals around here, but I imagine the hospital staff would be even more determined in this case

Jeanette
Old 12-29-2003, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yeah, I guess most places will not augment or induce a VBAC (although lately I've heard of low dose pitocin being used on VBAC mamas....not sure whether this increases the rate of rupture, but I would imagine it does increase the risk...since it would be hard to tell who responds highly to even low dose pitocin).

What does the hospital that she's birthing at "require" for VBAC moms? Do they have to stay monitored all the time? What if she goes over her due date, will they want to induce at all or just push for another cesarean?

User Tag List