Big babies, easy births. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 03-30-2009, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just wondering if some of you might be willing to share your happy, easy birth stories pertaining to your larger-than-average babies.

My first two kids were biggies (9+ pounds... my second was 9 pounds, 14 ounces, and I"m not a large person at all... 5 foot 4 and 120 pounds when not pregnant - I just make big babies I think!). My third was an early induction for cholestasis and was 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 36 weeks gestation. With my first two I had epidurals, and with my third, I had no pain meds and really, no pain!

So anyways, I'm really trying to avoid cholestasis this time and I'm feeling a big baby vibe. So I was hoping for a general feel the love thread about great birth experiences and big babies. As long as the cholestasis doesn't come back, this will be a home birth, and regardless, it will be with midwives, and there will be no pain meds involved. I'm really looking forward to birthing my big baby au natural...

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 03-30-2009, 10:56 PM

Hi! My 3rd babe was 10lb5oz, so not HUGE, but definately not 'average'. I birthed him at home, in a pool in my bedroom with no tears or repairs needed. I had 'road rash' and 'skid marks' as my midwife called them - some striation looking scratches on the inside of my labia but nothing that caused any problems.

My labor was 3 hours from first contraction to holding my babe. I did have a post partum hemmorage at home - no transfer required as it was managed perfectly well by the midwives. As babe came out he wrapped his foot in the cord and gave the placenta a NASTY tug (my fault as I hauled him up onto my chest).

The pain was definately stronger with that ring of fire, but I birthed my previous two with a hand beside their heads, so there really wan't a HUGE difference. Where I noticed a BIG difference was his shoulders and the midwife having to give him a bit of a twist to help him out more so than my 2nd who just slipped out once his head was out.

I am hoping this one is smaller tho as I will have to have a hospital birth (we live in a different province and can't have a homebirth due to regulations) and I'm not sure the docs/nurses will be as patient with a big babe as the midwives were....

Tamika
Mum to 5 wonderful gifts!!
#3 of 26 Old 03-30-2009, 11:02 PM

9lbs 14oz. Same size as you when not pregnant. 8 hours, about 1.5-2 hours pushing. Hurt like hell but I did not tear. Not even a skid mark. No concerns, baby & me both did great health-wise. And I believe that fear and tension made the pain alot worse (I didn't know the baby was big, I just was scared of labour & delivery in general).

eta: no pain meds or anything

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#4 of 26 Old 03-30-2009, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:-)

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#5 of 26 Old 03-30-2009, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
  1. 9lb 14.25 oz. 1 25mg (or is it mmg?) shot of Demoral 3 hours before she was born. Found it useless. First indication of labour - birth = 16.5 hours, but not really "in labour" for more than apx 13 hrs, the first 4 of which were very manageable.
  2. 9lb 1.5 oz. First indication of labour - birth = 7 hours
  3. 11lb 1 oz. First indication of labour - birth = 6.5 hours. If you want to read more of the story of this one, you can check out this recent thread.
(Subsequent twins were smaller).

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#6 of 26 Old 03-31-2009, 10:50 AM

I'm 5'4 (and very fat ). My last two were 9 lb 15 oz and 10 lb 8 oz, respectively. Both 4 hour labors--might have been longer, but it was four hours from the time I noticed it was labor to the time of birth. Both minimal tearing. Both only15 minutes of pushing. The smaller one I actually hemorrhaged but nothing severe. With the last one they just stuck me with a pit. syringe just in case. The smaller one was what I would call a painless labor. The larger one hurt like heck, but he had been mal positioned the last weeks before birth (transverse, breech, all over the place) so back labor wasn't surprising.
#7 of 26 Old 03-31-2009, 11:31 AM
pjs

DS #2 was a 3 hr labor, 20minutes pushing 9lbs 9 oz
DD #1 was a 1.5 hr labor, 1 big push 10 lbs even

I'm 5'2 and I'm probably about 20 lbs over my ideal weight. Labor was painful, but it was manageable (especially since mine were so short!)

Big babies and easy births are not a rarity!
#8 of 26 Old 03-31-2009, 02:07 PM

i'm 5'1" 130 lbs, and DS was 9 lbs 3 oz. not huge, but big for how little I am. painful labor (16 hours), but not unbearable (no pain meds, even with pit augmentation). no tear!

you can do it mama!

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#9 of 26 Old 03-31-2009, 02:50 PM

I am not quite 5'1. I've had an 8 lb, 9 oz baby and a 9 lb, 10 oz baby. While labour hurt, giving birth did not hurt for me. The first time, pushing lasted less than ten minutes. The second time, less than 5 minutes. No tears. No Problems.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#10 of 26 Old 03-31-2009, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I am average sized.
My DS was 10 lbs 6.5 oz.
I had 2 stitches for superficial tears that I didn't really need.
Labor was 4 hours long. 2 hours dilating, 2 hours pushing.
Labor was hellacious, but it was somewhat precipitous and I had my water broken so take that how you will.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#11 of 26 Old 03-31-2009, 03:39 PM

I'm a fluffy mama, and my easiest birth was my biggest baby (#6). It was a homebirth, only 3 hours long. DD weighed 9lbs. 2oz.

#12 of 26 Old 04-01-2009, 12:47 PM

My oldest wasn't really that big. She was 8lbs, 2oz. But she did have a 14.75" head and a nuchal hand. I had a minor tear that probably had more to do with the purple pushing that they made me do rather than her size and her hand. I pushed for a hour and ten minutes. It wasn't really that bad.

I had my doctor tell me about 5 years before she was born that I had a small pelvis and would have difficulty giving birth. I felt like calling her and bragging.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#13 of 26 Old 04-01-2009, 09:18 PM

First was 8#14. Natural labor in hospital with CNM. No one believed I was in "real" labor until I hit transition. Showed up at hospital at 11am, DS was born after 45 minutes of pushing, at 4:40.

Second was 10#2. Labored in hospital jacuzzi. Got into the tub at 5 cms. Sat on my knees in the tub. Less than an hour later, started feeling ... different. Was telling DH to pull the cord to call the midwife in when my water broke with a pop and baby dropped to crowning and was born on the next contraction with no pushing and no tearing. Midwife and nurse didn't believe she was 10+ pounds and recalibrated the scale after the first weighing!

Both times I felt amazing within minutes, like I wanted to get up and high five people.

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#14 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 04:42 PM

I love this site for big baby stuff. http://www.pregnancybirthandbabies.c...0Yahoo%20Group

It's all about positioning. My first was 9lbs 5 oz and was waaay harder than my 8lb 15 oz second. But his head wasn't straight. My second was easy quick and painless pushing. I had a slight tear, but I didn't feel it.
I went out for Indian food on the way home after #2 four hours after the birth, felt fine.
#15 of 26 Old 04-06-2009, 05:32 AM

9lb 15oz, and i pushed twice and it didnt hurt at all. it just felt like i needed to itch and his head was through and i was fine

the third was 10lb4oz and was out in i think 4 pushes, but wouldve been less if my 4yo hadnt been standing there trying to talk and taking off my concentration
it did hurt but not as much as a lot of people apparently think lol!
#16 of 26 Old 04-06-2009, 06:04 AM

I've never posted here (saw it on the new threads) but wanted to share

DS was 9 lbs. 13oz. and I'm 5'3, 95-100 lbs. Labored at home until 8/9 cm then went to the hospital (military) where they broke my water and delivered wearing DH's t-shirt. I did push for 2.5 hours and had a 3rd degree tear, but no other complications at all.

This thread makes me want another one

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#17 of 26 Old 04-06-2009, 06:39 AM

ds1 - 8lb 15oz - waterbirth at home, tiny tear which healed on its own - 7 hour labour - 20 minutes pushing
ds2 - 9lb13oz - bad position - back labour (due to anterior placenta) 14 hours, waterbirth at home - 5 minutes pushing

I expect no 3 to be over 10lbs

My friends second baby was 11lb 5oz - she had a 2 hour labour, she did tear alot but thats because the baby just shot out - both herself and her husband are very tall.

Mummy to T 06/04, L 08/06, R 08/09
:
#18 of 26 Old 04-06-2009, 11:21 AM

DS - 9 lb 8 oz - 10 hour labor. Born in the hospital with a CNM. I had back labor and I can't say that I am a person who loves pushing, LOL. But even though he was born with a hand by his head, this was a great birth. No pain meds, no nothin. I was ready to climb a mountain afterwards or at leat I felt like it!

DD - 9 lb 10 oz - induced with pitocin for PIH. No pain meds. Back labor again, oh joy. Still, this was a 5 hour labor start to finish. I'm not going to say it didn't hurt but the contractions were manageable, especially with a lot of pressure on my back. Pushing was way easier this time - I gave birth in the McRoberts position, which surprised the hell out of me but really worked.

Big babies are wonderful. Your body has already done this with a big baby TWO TIMES. I hope your birth is fantastic!
#19 of 26 Old 04-06-2009, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Here's the birth of our 9lb 1 oz boy! Due the end of this month...most likely a bigger-ish baby too!

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...ighlight=micah

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#20 of 26 Old 04-06-2009, 10:13 PM

All my babies were around 9 lbs and quick easy pain-free births.

Michele, mom of DD 5/01, DD 11/03, and DS 11/06

http://michelepixels.com/

#21 of 26 Old 04-09-2009, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

All your responses make me so happy. Thanks!!
#22 of 26 Old 04-10-2009, 02:56 PM

It wasn't even close to being painless (cervical lip and shoulder dystocia), but the homebirth of our 12lb 23in baby was med-free and natural. No tearing. I'm carrying some extra weight around, but of average build, 5'7".

Best wishes for your birth!
#23 of 26 Old 04-10-2009, 02:58 PM

don't click on my link!

DON'T!

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#24 of 26 Old 04-13-2009, 12:13 AM

haven't written up or even fully processed it yet, but

Julian William was born April 7 after 2.5 hours of pushing and 7 easy hours of labor. No epidural, but I did ask for and have nubain after 1.5 hours of pushing

The pushing part was very hard, i won't kid you. And my midwife had to help yank his body out. The ob on call said "talk about shoulder distocia, that was full body distocia" but overall, it was bearable. Plus, i get to watch everyone's face when I say

11 lbs 5 oz.

It sure makes me feel like superwoman!!!!

No tears, either.

Big babies are the way to go!

edited to add: he was also OP presentation. go mamas! you cab do it!
#25 of 26 Old 04-14-2009, 12:02 AM

I am also a smaller person, 5'4" 125 not pregnant. DD#1 was 8 pounds 7 oz, 8 hour labor, and I tore and needed stitches. I also bled a lot and had a really difficult recovery due to the tear and blood loss. DS#2 was 9 pounds 13 oz, 3.5 hour labor, a few minutes of pushing, no tear. Far easier to recover from that labor.

I don't have any stats on #3 due in 6 weeks but he feels like a big, strong baby to me and I am hoping it will be as easy as #2.

Sewin earthlovin : Mama to my 8 yr old, 6 yr old and lil' baby : born 6/11/09.
:
#26 of 26 Old 04-14-2009, 02:12 AM

10.5#, 37cm head vba2c baby. She was the largest of my three kids. I had a paracervical block with helped a bit, kept me mobile and didn't drug me up. I think I got it a little late though but i was worried about to wearing off too soon and held off (anesthetics really burn through my system quick in addition to taking forever to take effect). PCB leaves the door open for epidural if needed for exhaustion later. Anyhoo... while not painless, the ctx during transition and pushing (about 40 mins total time; I only pushed for about 15 mins) were tolerable. that is not to say I wasn't howling for about 30 of those minutes, but it sure was better than the ctx I had with my first baby which were coming 2-3 mins apart and I was only 3cm, if even.

I'd describe it as the difference between the two labors as a heavy person stepping on you in high heels v. in a sturdy boot. The sturdy boot is much more tolerable as it's spread out. definitely tolerable. I don't even remember the ring of fire but for the dr telling me to stop pushing for a few moments.

I also had an intact perineum with a small vaginal and small labial tear. dr only did stitches for "cosmetic" reasons. I told him it didn't matter to me as "I'm not the one who gets up close and personal" - with a significant look at the husband - "so ask him." stitches were worse than the ctx, but that's probably b/c not enough anesthetic was used.

Stinkerton 12/10/01 9lbs8oz, induced to c/s; Little Man 5/20/03 7lbs11oz, r c/s, fear of another labor; Jillybean 11/18/07 10lbs8oz 37cm head, induced VBA2C; and the Wee Beastie, 9lbs8oz, 35cm head, rpt VBA2C

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page