Does mitral valve prolapse cause any issues during pregnancy & birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-01-2009, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shortly after DS2 was born I had an echo done and was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse with minor regurgitation. The cardiologist said that it wasn't much of a concern and is pretty much a variation of normal. I also wore a holter monitor and did a stress test to check for arrythmia and there was no sign of anything wrong. Now I'm pregnant with my 3rd child and my loud heart murmur is back (from the increased blood flow) and my blood pressure is pretty low (was 80/48 today). My MW wants me to check back with the cardiologist and the cardi wants to do another echo.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Did MVP have an impact on your pregnancy? I'm thinking I have more than just mild regurgitation because of the loud murmur and low BP. Can this risk me out of homebirth or a birth center birth? I am otherwise very healthy. I should mention that I do have occasional chest pains/discomfort that always passes very quickly. I was told by the cardi that MVP is common for having irregular chest pains that are a non-issue.

Forgot to ask: did you have to have IV antibiotics during laor with MVP? They used to recommend it but most places say it is no longer necessary.

Any advice or experience?

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#2 of 10 Old 04-01-2009, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Mild MVP shouldn't have an effect on your pregnancy if it doesn't cause issues in your daily life. They used to recommend antibiotics in labor, but they don't anymore. Just standard care! MVP wouldn't cause your BP to be low either, so I'm not sure why your MW is recommending another echo?

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#3 of 10 Old 04-01-2009, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

The MW wanted me to contact the cardiologist and the cardiologist wants me to have another echo done.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#4 of 10 Old 04-01-2009, 05:18 PM

My mother has MVP. This is ancient information (25+ years ago), but she was told to limit her caffeine intake (not to zero, just to limit it) and she did find that she had more irregularities with her heartbeat when she was pregnant, but no major problems or interventions. I don't know how serious hers is. She also has VERY low blood pressure . . . I think once it was about 60/40 at the doctor's office. She felt fine at the time. She had two unmedicated hospital births with no complications due to the MVP. I know that's just anecdotal, but I hope it's reassuring.
#5 of 10 Old 04-01-2009, 05:18 PM

I haven't had an echo but was diagnosed with it long ago.

No problems or differences or any concerns in labor, other than being told I needed IV abx. I need to find the information saying that I don't need it anymore -- I know the dentist's office stopped doing the prophylactic abx on me about a year ago so maybe that's when the OB instructions changed too? I'd LOVE LOVE to labor without an IV!

Not all who wander are lost.
#6 of 10 Old 04-01-2009, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post
I haven't had an echo but was diagnosed with it long ago.

No problems or differences or any concerns in labor, other than being told I needed IV abx. I need to find the information saying that I don't need it anymore -- I know the dentist's office stopped doing the prophylactic abx on me about a year ago so maybe that's when the OB instructions changed too? I'd LOVE LOVE to labor without an IV!
I'm pretty sure I read on the ACOG site that they no longer suggest IV antibiotics for MVP. There were a few other sites that said the same. I've already given birth twice before even knowing I had MVP and each birth was complication free but I do remember having some chest and breathing discomfort during pregnancy with all 3 pregnancies.

Did having IV antibiotics during labor cause any issues with thrush or yeast for you?

#7 of 10 Old 04-01-2009, 09:13 PM

My midwife noticed a murmur during pregnancy #2.

During pregnancy #1 all my prenatal appts were in the morning when possible. During PG #2, they were all right after lunch, and I got in the habit of meeting DH for lunch and then we'd go to the appt. And we'd usually get chinese or Thai. I think maybe the MSG made the MVP worse! Because she heard it clearly, but when I went to my primary doc, she didn't hear it.

She believed the midwife though and ordered an echo, which showed a MVP with no/mild regurgitation. The cardiologist told me "If you've already had a natural birth, that MVP has been stress tested as much as I ever would. There's nothing you need to do."

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#8 of 10 Old 04-02-2009, 10:45 AM

Didn't affect me. I do go periodically for check ups with a cardiologist. I'd like to say I'm proactive about it but the truth is that I really only go when I seem to be having problems. I've done the EKG, stress test, echo, stress echo, holter monitor thing before (some of them multiple times).

The only issue I remember is when I needed to have a d&c done when I was miscarrying. The doctor was having a debate about the need for antibiotics since she didn't have records of how severe my MVP. I honestly don't remember so I think I probably got them.

I probably got antibiotics during my c-section too but I honestly don't know.

MVP was not an issue at all (never even brought up!) with my VBAC. I didn't even have antibiotics then.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#9 of 10 Old 04-02-2009, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info mamas, these stories are encouraging!

#10 of 10 Old 04-02-2009, 08:39 PM

Mine hasn't bothered me with either pregnancy. I don't even take antibiotics when I go to the dentist anymore. I haven't had an echo since I was diagnosed at age 9, but I know that it is able to be heard loud and clear with a stethescope.

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page