question about muslim birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-01-2004, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With all the talk on the boards lately of the practice of some muslim women of covering themselves in the presence of men, I started wondering what happens in birth? Are female attendants favored? What happens if a male doctor is used, does the mother remained covered during the birth?

Thanks for any info.
#2 of 5 Old 01-01-2004, 09:08 PM

My Muslim friends and family have not allowed any male doctors in while they have birthed. They have only used female doctors or midwives.
#3 of 5 Old 01-01-2004, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, the babies come out one way or another!

T
In an old Mothering article about indiscreet bfing, a muslim woman responded in an editorial that although she is completely covered except for her face and hands at all times, even in her own home, she still breastfeeds in public.
#4 of 5 Old 01-01-2004, 10:58 PM

I have a friend who is muslim who I asked this question to. They only allow female doctors/midwives and if none is available, only a nurse.
#5 of 5 Old 01-01-2004, 11:42 PM

Quote:
I started wondering what happens in birth? Are female attendants favored? What happens if a male doctor is used, does the mother remained covered during the birth?
--Yes, muslim women should have midwives or female attendants for their births and some scholars say she should also have homebirths in order to avoid exposing herself to others unnecessarily (including women)...

*however*, the commandment to cover is not so strict that even in emergencies a woman cannot uncover. if i have a deep cut on my ear or neck or thigh that requires medical attention and the only one in the ER or whatever is a male well i have to expose that part in order to be treated...however that does nto mean if i'm giving birth that i take off my headscarf, if it's a male doctor. You only expose what "needs" to be exposed.
(the principle is that you must do everything u can to avoid working with a male ob/doctor/nurses whatever but if u have tried all other ways and you *need* his service then it's permissible)

when i had my dd i had my long scarf to the waist on the entire time while in labour, we tried sooo hard during the pregnancy to get a midwife but they wouldnt take us cuz we lived in another city so we ended up with a male ob who would NOT look at me while 'checking' and i made it clear i dont shake hands while greeting and i made him knock on the door before coming in the room when the doc was goin to come in while i was pushing i told the nurses to tell him to wait (LOL) and had them make sure my tummy, thighs, feet, EVERYTHING was covered...

soya this is longwinded but it's obvious that it should be females attending to female patients just as males who have medical issues see male doctors unless there's no other way

p.s. about the breastfeeding. not sure but i dont think she meant her breast would be exposed while nursing in public if she's so careful to cover when leaving the home. I also cover head to toe and nurse "in public" but she's in the sling with my scarf over her or my hijab covering her entirely so i'm never exposed...

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page