How NOT to give a baby their first bath. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 61 Old 04-04-2009, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but it seemed more fitting here than in LWAB (though I was torn).

Warning: I was very upset by this.
#2 of 61 Old 04-04-2009, 02:47 PM

that made me cry, the poor baby
nothing like the beautiful bonding experience my childrens first baths were

my boobs are eeeevil.................eeevil i tells ya....
#3 of 61 Old 04-04-2009, 02:54 PM

:Puke

To quote Dr. Marsden Wagner: "If you really want a humanized birth, the best thing to do is get the hell out of the hospital."

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

#4 of 61 Old 04-04-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyfah View Post
:Puke

To quote Dr. Marsden Wagner: "If you really want a humanized birth, the best thing to do is get the hell out of the hospital."

Great quote!

That bath looked so traumatizing The baby was so upset

jog.gifkid.gif

#5 of 61 Old 04-04-2009, 03:08 PM

I am stunned. Does anybody know what happened to this women? I had to shut it off. Absolutely horrible.

Lovin my Hubby , Serena (10/07)::, and Cedar( 07/09)
#6 of 61 Old 04-04-2009, 03:11 PM

I can't even finished to watch this video. I still feel very guilty to had my DD in the hospital. They scrubbed her very hard, worse that the video. : We still crying for her, even now after almost 4 years later.Thankfully, DS born at home and his first bath (at 2 weeks old) was pure joy.

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
#7 of 61 Old 04-04-2009, 03:49 PM

Sadness --- poor baby!
I recently gave birth to my baby girl in the hospital and was grateful for the wonderful nurses who took care of us. My hubby gave my baby girl her first bath and she never left our sides the entire time we were there.

Wife, Mother and Doula.
#8 of 61 Old 04-04-2009, 04:33 PM

That is exactly why my two hospital born babies where never in the nursery even for a second and not bathed there! The nurses looked at me like I had two heads when I said no bath we are fine we will take care of it. Poor little one.

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#9 of 61 Old 04-04-2009, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Yikes!

In the hospital here, they bring a little tub of warm water to the mother's room to give the baby a gentle bath. I appreciated getting the blood and birth gunk off, and they didn't scrub overly hard so left a decent amount of vernix. Much better. Hospitals here have their faults, but I am grateful for the rooming in policy.
#10 of 61 Old 04-04-2009, 06:00 PM

That poor baby.

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. - Linus
#11 of 61 Old 04-04-2009, 07:21 PM

I saw many comments on the YouTube page about why the parent didn't stop this....I had the same question??? WHY?? Why would you not stop it????? As awful as the fact is that these things go on behind our backs - there was someone VIDEOTAPING it????????

Tamika
Mum to 5 wonderful gifts!!
#12 of 61 Old 04-04-2009, 07:33 PM

My guess is the dad was videotaping and didn't realize he had the "right" to stop them. I am always surprised to see that most dads (first timers especially) will not even touch their babies until the nurse gives permission. Of course I always jump in and tell them it is okay. It is like the baby is not really theirs in the hospital. And of course the nurses are the experts, what does a first time father know: (insert sarcasm here)
#13 of 61 Old 04-04-2009, 07:52 PM

WOW. That is horrible. I did not allow the hospital staff to bathe my daughter, and thank goodness I didn't! I didn't think it could be *that* bad, but I wanted to give her a gentle sponge bath, later, by myself.

The only thing that sucks is my DD hates the sponge bath anyway. She cries like that even though I am extremely gentle and make sure the water is warm (not hot, not cold). She is a fussy baby in general, though.

-
#14 of 61 Old 04-04-2009, 09:10 PM

can someone explain it to me? I can't get youtube b/c we have a fliter... but I'm dying to know all the huhbub is about!

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#15 of 61 Old 04-04-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennyPenny View Post
can someone explain it to me? I can't get youtube b/c we have a fliter... but I'm dying to know all the huhbub is about!
It's an ameteur video of a nurse rinsing a naked newborn under a running faucet

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#16 of 61 Old 04-04-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filiadeluna View Post
The only thing that sucks is my DD hates the sponge bath anyway. She cries like that even though I am extremely gentle and make sure the water is warm (not hot, not cold). She is a fussy baby in general, though.
my daughter was the SAME way. turns out she is very sensory sensitive... so we learned some tricks - when the baby is in a baby bath, put a warm wet towel over the entire body. only uncover small parts at a time to wash. and don't use any sponges or clothes unless you have to. this helps us a lot. it didn't take away all the fussies, but it improved things.

after bath we did a lotion rub down. you can also do this BEFORE the baby. it helps prepare the skin nerves to receive a bath a lot better. it is also calming.

The other thing to consider - is once a baby gets used to crying/being upset over something it can take some de-conditioning time. so you may have ot try this several times before it would really work.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#17 of 61 Old 04-04-2009, 09:14 PM

I watched exactly one second before turning it off.

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#18 of 61 Old 04-04-2009, 09:34 PM

That was so incredibly heart wrenching.
#19 of 61 Old 04-04-2009, 09:49 PM

OMG I feel like crying and puking! I'm definately not going to let my baby be washed by the nurses (if I have a hospital birth!)
#20 of 61 Old 04-04-2009, 09:59 PM

As awful as it is I am glad that its out there for people to watch because no one ever believes you when you tell them what can really happen.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#21 of 61 Old 04-04-2009, 10:01 PM

Oh my gosh, that poor little baby.
#22 of 61 Old 04-04-2009, 10:13 PM

Wow... un-freakin-believable!
#23 of 61 Old 04-04-2009, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

I did notice that the person sharing the video is located in Israel, so this was probably an Israeli hospital. Do you guys think this is less likely to happen in the US?
#24 of 61 Old 04-05-2009, 12:17 AM

poor baby

My boyfriend helped our midwife give Lincoln his first bath - I was in bed recovering - but they were in the room with me (at a free standing birth center) and it was so sweet, he didn't like it much, but both the midwife and my boyfriend were talking to him, holding him, it was very calm and relaxed, not rough at all! And then he was swaddled and given to me The bath was of course after we held him for several hours, and got to know him a bit. His birthday was one of the best days of my life - one of the hardest, but one of the best.
#25 of 61 Old 04-05-2009, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseDuperre View Post
I did notice that the person sharing the video is located in Israel, so this was probably an Israeli hospital. Do you guys think this is less likely to happen in the US?
I was going to say the same thing, her location was listed as Israel. And I think it is a lot less likely that this would happen in the US, or at least it would not have happened right in front of a video camera due to the litigious nature of our country. The rough handling and drying off would happen, but I don't think the running the water over the head and mouth would happen. I would never take the chance though.
#26 of 61 Old 04-05-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennica View Post
And I think it is a lot less likely that this would happen in the US, or at least it would not have happened right in front of a video camera due to the litigious nature of our country.
As for the first statement, I'm not so sure. It isn't like the US has a great reputation for its high standards of newborn-friendly hospital care. As for the second statement, I'm convinced that you're right. The hospitals we toured said absolutely no cameras in L&D at all, at least while the staff is in the room.

(BTW, Who was it that said on this forum recently that if the doctors didn't go out of their way to take credit for every healthy baby delivered, as if they were entirely responsible, perhaps people wouldn't go out of their way to sue the doctors as if they were responsible for every unhealthy baby?!?!)

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#27 of 61 Old 04-05-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pers View Post
In the hospital here, they bring a little tub of warm water to the mother's room to give the baby a gentle bath.
:
And it was after like an hour and after she'd pooped a huge amount of meconium over both of us.
#28 of 61 Old 04-05-2009, 09:23 PM

This is a reminder from your friendly neighborhood moderator... please keep in mind the following portions of the mdc user agreement guidelines:

Quote:
Do not post profane or sexually explicit text. Discussions of a sexual nature should be within the realm of topics inherent to Mothering discussions such as sex after delivery, sex and the family bed, etc. Please see the MDC User Agreement.
(this includes using things like $ or * to "blank out" portions of profane words) and

Quote:
Do not post in a disrespectful, defamatory, adversarial, baiting, harassing, offensive, insultingly sarcastic or otherwise improper manner, toward a member or other individual, including casting of suspicion upon a person, invasion of privacy, humiliation, demeaning criticism, name-calling, personal attack, or in any way which violates the law.
I know this video is very provoking, and I realize it is easy to let your emotional reaction lead the way, but please keep these guidelines in mind as you submit your post. Thanks for listening, and please let me know (via PM) if you have any questions or concerns about this!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#29 of 61 Old 04-05-2009, 09:34 PM

That made me cry! Poor baby! This is why we either bathe our own babies or have them do it in the room. I was too tired from a 20+ hour labor to bathe DD1, but my nurse was great, she filled up a warm tub and brought it to me and gently washed her and let me help and handed her to me right away. I would be so sad if I found out this had happened to my child!
#30 of 61 Old 04-05-2009, 09:54 PM

Goodness. I was more tender when cleaning the chicken that I baked for dinner a few nights ago.

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page