"Birth Day" makes me mad! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 01-13-2004, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I remember the show you're talking about (the screamer with the twins). I remember thinking "dang, I'd be screaming louder than that...."

Which I did. I wasn't having twins, but it just felt *better* to scream. And at some point, the nurse told me to stop. I felt so embarassed, I kept aplogizing to everyone in the room for all the noise I was making. A couple of times I even asked if it was "ok if I yelled for a bit?". Looking back I'm really angry at the nurses for turning my birth experience into a 'feeling of shame' (if that makes any sense?). I've been spending some time trying to reframe it, cuz dag nabbit I should be proud of myself for my unmedicated birth!!!

Ok, now I'm about to cry

Wife, Mom, Health Services Researcher
Uno ('03) Dos ('08) and Tres (Aug '10)
#32 of 38 Old 01-13-2004, 01:19 AM

I probably shouldn't respond to this thread because the 'reality' of birth in North America makes me so darned MAD. I mean really maaaddddd. I used to be an L&D RN working in those hospitals, and it almost killed me. I felt like I was part of the brutality team even though I was like a lioness at the doors of the women I was assisting, trying to stave off Dr Intervention at every turn. Talk about a conflict - homebirth advocate trying to advocate for women who a) were clueless about their strengths (but who were SO EMPOWERED when they discovered them!!! That was a cool part of the work when we could pull it off!), and b) wanted as natural a birth as possible (some of those births were inspiring, too, despite the hospital setting) all within the warped N. American Institutional Culture of birth. Anyway, I sure was the odd one out among my colleagues and it was so exhausting. Those tv shows really capture the truth of it, though. I'll never forget walking down the hall of the first University Hospital I ever worked in, way down south in the USA...a bunch of women drugged out in labour and The Price is Right blaring down the hall - what a spiritual transition; the absurdity of it made me want to cry.

Now for the sad part...fast forward to my own homebirth 5 years later, after I had escaped the hospital. All systems in place - midwives, supportive husband, good health, peace in my heart, confidence in my ability to birth...but my Baby didn't fit through my pelvis - and I mean DID NOT FIT (read 6+ hours of pushing). Oh, I can see the eye-rolling now...sure, sure, CPD, eh? Ah, but this truly was . I ended up with one of those hospital births - forceps and a c/s!!! OY-Vey! Surreal to say the least. And I am currently a month away from the birth of my second child...by VBAC? Gonna give it my best shot!! Wish me luck or whatever it is I need !

Thanks for the thread - it was cathartic.
#33 of 38 Old 01-20-2004, 05:39 PM

I saw a hombirth and a few birth center births on the birth days show...but for the most part its just like..pitocin..epidural..episiotomy..NICU...
I stopped watching after deciding to do a homebirth......

~mama to some wonderful kids
#34 of 38 Old 01-20-2004, 08:27 PM

These shows are all the reason why we here need to talk to and educate other women...where ever and when ever we can.

BTW there is an orthopedic surgeon in this area named Dr Bonebreak.
#35 of 38 Old 01-23-2004, 12:44 PM

Ugh you know who the narrators voice is for Birth Day?
Its that dippy blond shes on the soap All My Children and on that morning talk show with Regis? Why cant I remember her name? And she had two c-sec, so "everything down there is OK" that twit.

My SIL has a doctor called Dr. Blood, CREEPY
#36 of 38 Old 01-23-2004, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by noodle4u
Ugh you know who the narrators voice is for Birth Day?
Its that dippy blond shes on the soap All My Children and on that morning talk show with Regis? Why cant I remember her name? And she had two c-sec, so "everything down there is OK" that twit.

My SIL has a doctor called Dr. Blood, CREEPY
Kella Rippa? I never would have placed that voice with her...weird.
#37 of 38 Old 01-23-2004, 02:29 PM

I'm a baby story junkie. I haven't had cable for a couple of years, so I haven't seen it much, but no matter the setting, I always cry when the baby comes out. Funny, watching the baby story actually turned me to natural birth. I got some ideas from the natural births I saw on there. I had my 1st with epi, 2nd without, 3rd, no drug waterbirth. Next one will be a homebirth. It didn't take me long to notice how much more special and spiritual the natural and homebirths were. So, the show at least turned one person down the right birthing road.
#38 of 38 Old 01-23-2004, 03:21 PM

something I noticed actually...

yesterday A Baby Story was running at the same time as another birthing show and we were switching back and forth.

As we're watching the Baby Story mom get bulldozed with drugs and get told "No you can't eat or drink" and be strapped into her bed.... we watched the OTHER show...where the women attending the birth were all about waiting for the mom to be ready, letting her walk around to deal with her contractions, making sure she had enough to eat and drink, talking about her care prior to the birth......

It was Thats My Baby.....if you don't know it, it's a animal birthing show. We watched a great dane give birth and it was pretty awsome. But it just struck me that it was a thing of PRIDE for the owner to take such good and proper care of her dog during birth and do all the things for her you SHOULD be doing for a human...and yet the human on the other show was being put in a yucky position. Weird.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page