Rapid labor and not making it to hospital - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-10-2009, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you really want to birth in the hospital, as soon as you go into labor go over and hang out in the hospital's public areas while your dh settles the kids with childcare, etc.

If you really want to have a homebirth, work to make that happen. Since your dh is in the emergency field he should know ambulance response times for your area for different scenarios and know what "too much" blood looks like. He most likely won't need those skills at all if you have a homebirth, but having those skills should be making him less nervous about the homebirth option. Really, I suspect that he's just feeling like he doesn't know how to do everything for birthing and what will help is to point out that he won't have to know everything if you have a planned homebirth, but he WILL have to know everything if things happen in the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2009, 05:07 PM
wbg

In terms of your ambulance protocol, check with your local first aid squad. Each one has their own procedures and protocols. I work as an EMT and even from one town to the next we do different things.

I am also someone who has rather fast births, but my fourth surprised me and was quite a bit longer than the previous one which was 2 hours. So you might be surprised!

But I think it is great to be prepared. I also agree that you should check on your hospitals protocols because it would be very sad if they whisked your perfectly healthy baby away to the nicu for a battery of tests and preventative treatments based on your baby arriving in what they see as un-sterile environment! If the baby is healthy you might be able to refuse to "admit" the baby as a patient, and simply let your partner bring the baby in as a "visitor" so you can get yourself sorted out and not have to be separated from your baby.

In terms of delivering at home, just do your research. I had a planned home birth but still did lots of research on what to do if the baby arrived before the MW which was a realistic possibility. I specifically researched your basic emergencies like shoulder dystocia, PPH and how to handle them by yourself. I found Ina May Gaskin's books very useful as well Diane Gregg's book amazing birth stories which gave me some useful natural herbal remedy suggestions.

Luckily I did not need to use any of the info!
Wishing you a wonderful birthing experience.

Wishing you

wbg...constantly amazed by Z , cherishing I , inspired by P , adoring K and still getting butterflies when I wake up with B !
Old 04-10-2009, 05:13 PM

you're smart to plan this out. b/c homebirth is wonderful. hospital birth can be wonderful... but carbirth? well it's certainly less than ideal!! (if you think birthing in a hospital bed is uncomfortable, imagine birthing in a carseat!) can't be all that comfy.

is here something holding you back from homebrith to begin with? is it a possiblity to just choose homebirth to begin with? how about if it were with a very experience CNM that your husband could meet and grill? I understand if this isn't an option, I just think it must safer and easier than a carbirth heh

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

Old 04-10-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
If you really want to birth in the hospital, as soon as you go into labor go over and hang out in the hospital's public areas while your dh settles the kids with childcare, etc.

If you really want to have a homebirth, work to make that happen. Since your dh is in the emergency field he should know ambulance response times for your area for different scenarios and know what "too much" blood looks like. He most likely won't need those skills at all if you have a homebirth, but having those skills should be making him less nervous about the homebirth option. Really, I suspect that he's just feeling like he doesn't know how to do everything for birthing and what will help is to point out that he won't have to know everything if you have a planned homebirth, but he WILL have to know everything if things happen in the car.
I think this is great advise

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

Old 04-10-2009, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

I really would prefer a planned homebirth, however out of respect for my Dh and his concerns (and fears, esp b/c of his profession--he's exposed to lots of stuff that is always going wrong-death stuff) I have decided to strive for a home-like birth in hospital. I have been visualizing and I guess outright wishing for a real homebirth, and want to plan for one in case-as I do believe in a person's ability to manifest our truest desires. BUT I suppose I'm keeping this in the closet--well NOT here, but in my family. It won't be the end of the world if I have a hospital birth, but I have so many other issues I'm pushing with my family: ie delayed or no VAX, no circ, no pain meds during labor--limited interventions. I'm guess I'm trying to pick my battles and prioritize which ones are most important. My Dh is very supportive but has more trust/faith in hospitals and medicine than in my self-educated positions on these matters.

Also, all my searches on MW sites have come up fruitless for my area. I haven't fully exhausted my search, but it just doesn't seem to be a instant option for me.

I really appreciate everyone's ideas and feedback on this topic. It's definitely made me think a lot, and also caused me self-analysis about why I'm not asserting myself more to have ALL the things I dream of for my birth and my baby's health.

Thanks everyone.

grouphug.gifPenny4them  
Blessed WAH wife and mama to my happy brood jumpers.gif Dd1(7/01) Dd2(10/02) Ds (6/09) CDing & ECing works! No Circ, Make it yourself or buy something Handmade! mdcblog5.gif 

Old 04-10-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny4Them View Post
I should clarify ... sirens are not used if it's a non-urgent transport. I have to talk with Dh again about this, as maybe I misunderstood him. It sounded like they would regard new baby as an urgent transport.
They didn't use sirens with me when I lost half my blood volume during a miscarriage. I wonder when they do use the sirens?

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
Old 04-10-2009, 08:32 PM

Penny4Them -

first I wanted to say I think you respecting your DH's thoughts is GREAT!! it souds like you have a close relationship and I truly think birth should bring people closer. sometimes that takes some creative thinking. So please don't think I was trying to give the impression you should ignore your husbands concerns.

I was just thinking, perhaps if he talked to a midwife he might realize birth at home can be A LOT safer than in the hospital, especially if you have fast labours. it truly is dangerous to have a baby in a car... and he woud be stuck delivering himself. unless he wants a UC, that could be the total opposite of what he wants. I know a lot of husbands have it in their minds that all midwives are hippy dippies who dont know anything about preventing or saving a sick baby or mother - even if they are told otherwise, I believe many husband just don't realize how smart and well educated many midwives are on a host of things. AND there is always an option of a hospital AND midwife if anything comes up. planned homebirth and transfer if needed could be a lot safer than just hoping you make it to the hospital in time you know what I mean? some people will see both a midwife and an OB and reguester at a hospital so all their bases are covered.

anyhow, whatever you decide to do, I hope you are able to meet your needs and your DHs needs too.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:26 PM

I didn't read all of the replies but wanted to say there is a great book called "The birth partner" that has a section with lots of valuable info about delivering a baby if there is no care provider present. The most important thing is to LEAVE THE CORD ALONE. DO not attempt to cut it or tie it off. Just leave it alone. Honestly, if all were well and you still wanted to go to the hospital I'd drive (well have someone else drive obviously) rather than call 911. EMTs don't have much in the way of training in labor and delivery and often do more harm than good.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
Old 04-10-2009, 10:39 PM

ive had a similar history as yours~ first one was 5 ours, second 3 hours, 3rd on was 45 minute and thank god, a planned homebirth. were expecting the 4th and my partner is studying up on how to deliver the bbe should the midwife ot make it to our house in time. you could have a shower curtain handy to put down, cover it with a few towels, or chucks pads which you can get at a medical suppy store. a blanket and hat to keep baby warm. a nasal bulb thing in case babe needs help breathing, a few strings to tie on each side of where the cord will be cut, and a large bowl to catch the placenta.and thats about all i can think of. its actually nice to be at home because you know where the cups are if you need water, where the blankets are etc. my ds was nearly born in the car~ i was holding his head in when we pulled up to the emergency room. ill never go through that again. homebirth for me please!

joyful mama to DS 2-05, open adoption birthmama to DD 5-07: and DS 6-98, and my littlest one 7-09. crazy in love with DH!
Old 04-10-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
1) hemorrhage (esp if you're on anticoagulants): would your OB perhaps give you a Rx for a shot of Pit or oral Methergine in case this situation happens? Does your dh know how to administer an intramuscular shot? It's not too hard to learn how (my husband had to when I was doing fertility treatments--got a shot of progesterone in the butt every night for 2 weeks, so now he's a pro!)
2) neonatal resuscitation (especially how to recognize when to start resuscitation & how to do mouth-to-mouth on a newborn. Karen Strange's classes are awesome if she is ever coming to your area)
8o

Two good reasons to have a backup midwife who is trained and experienced in such procedures, and can legally do so.

The "finding your tribe" area of MDC should be good to find someone. Otherwise you can Google it, I suppose...

Quote:
I wonder when they do use the sirens?
The sirens are a traffic control device. I'm sure they use them when they need to. They would not use them to control traffic when the person is dead, but they also would not need to if there were no traffic.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 04-10-2009, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks All.
Laura, Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to see if I can find a CMN to talk with us at least. We are struggling financially so it would be tough to pay for full services, but maybe we have options that could appease both my Dh AND me

grouphug.gifPenny4them  
Blessed WAH wife and mama to my happy brood jumpers.gif Dd1(7/01) Dd2(10/02) Ds (6/09) CDing & ECing works! No Circ, Make it yourself or buy something Handmade! mdcblog5.gif 

Old 04-10-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks All.
Laura, Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to see if I can find a CMN to talk with us at least. We are struggling financially so it would be tough to pay for full services, but maybe we have options that could appease both my Dh AND me
sounds like a great place to start!

Old 04-11-2009, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Thanks All.
Good luck! I hope that your DH will see the reason in having backup. So long as you are planning to go to the hospital, I don't see why you should have to pay the whole cost of the birth. As far as I know, from paying for pre-natal only (I switched mid-way) the pre-natal is only half the total cost, and then the peri-natal and post-natal are the other half in many practices. And of course that would ONLY be if you did happen to have the baby at home, and the midwife came. Otherwise you might only have to pay her for one or two sessions.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 04-11-2009, 03:28 AM

generally thought midwives still have to charge something if they are counting on yor birth b/c they reserve that time for YOU. it's more pay on time they devote to making sure they are available for your birth. it woudn't be right ot ask a midwife to come just incase but not pay her... unless perhaps she was a friend or you had some kinda deal worked out with her or whatever.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:41 AM

Oh, yes, but not the full fee, right? I mean... my midwife discounts a substantial amount if you do not end up using her for post-natal or peri-natal care IF it is for a medical reason. I just meant, there should be a way not to pay the whole fee up front. Maybe they can work something out.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:26 AM

OP, you are in Raleigh, right? You have several midwife choices. A CNM and lay. Check out the threads on our tribe or PM me.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
Oh, yes, but not the full fee, right? I mean... my midwife discounts a substantial amount if you do not end up using her for post-natal or peri-natal care IF it is for a medical reason. I just meant, there should be a way not to pay the whole fee up front. Maybe they can work something out.
I think some midwives would be willing to work with that, sure. just have to find the right one.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I really would prefer a planned homebirth, however out of respect for my Dh and his concerns (and fears, esp b/c of his profession--he's exposed to lots of stuff that is always going wrong-death stuff) I have decided to strive for a home-like birth in hospital.
Just wanted to add that becuase of his profession, your DH may have a bit of a skewed perception of pregnancy & birth. Reminds me of the article by Dr. Marsdan Wagner, "Fish can't see the water they swim in." Basically, OBs don't even understand their role in causing iatrogenic problems because they don't ever see birth in any other setting but medical/ high-tech birth! So they ASSUME all birth requires their help to "rescue" baby & mama - not knowing they've caused many of the problems in the first place!

I think it's really hard for Americans to wrap our heads around the fact that HB, for healthy Mams with healthy pregnancies, is really, truly safe. But that's the truth.
: Of course, it's equally hard, IMO, to wrap your head around what a true atrocity our maternity "care" is as well & how docs are practicing anti-evidence based care! OK, sorry, rant over!
Old 04-13-2009, 04:17 PM

HB is often safer for moms who aren't healthy too!!

(take it from me on that one! I was so severely mismanaged with my OB and my midwife, I took things into my own hands this time - the only time i didn't end up seriously ill!)

Old 04-13-2009, 07:00 PM

I was trying to have a hospital birth to save money (my insurance won't cover home or birthcenter). I signed up with a group that has midwives and a hospital birthcenter.

But I too was visualizing not getting to the hospital on time, especially as this pregnancy has become increasingly medicalized (first bc I am 37, thus high risk, and now I have been diagnosed with GD - though I am sure that I can control it with diet, and that I probably won't even high insulin levels, if I don't eat sugar).

There is no way that I am going to "labor" in the hospital.
I know that going to the hospital with my first child stalled my labor. (I was 5 inches when I got there, and 5 inches 12 hours later). With my second I stayed home for a really long time, even though I was going to a free standing BirthCenter. My son's birthing was about 4 hours all together. I got to the BC fully dilated and birthed the baby w/in 40 minutes -- that seemed like a real waste of money!

Since I keep seeing myself as NOT getting to the hospital, I started reading the UC board. I wanted some idea of what I would need, should I not make it to the hospital (bc I really don't want to go to the hospital!) And the main thing I am concerned with is my own bleeding, though they do give some recipes and links for tinctures that you can use to stop bleeding. You should read that board a bit.

Also, if I have a tear, I think I would like to have someone here to sew it up, rather than having to go to the hospital for that. BUT, if I did go to the hospital after an emergency homebirth, I would not check the baby in, and I would not let them do anything/touch the baby.

I really like the idea of having a midwife that you could call if there is a home birth situation. For your after care and for the birth certificate. You might even want a midwife with you in the hospital if you are really hoping to have a natural birth experience.

I have now decided to go for a homebirth, bc I do not want to deal with the hospital and all their standardized practices. I have a meeting with a midwife next week.

I think that you should find a midwife for back up.

Andee
Old 04-14-2009, 01:39 AM

As far as finding a mw, did you already post in your Finding Your Tribe area?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

User Tag List