Intervention statistics - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-05-2004, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am in the process of writing a starred paper on natural parenting for my masters in social responsibility and I am trying to find data on obstetrical interventions in US births. Does anyone know of recently (within the past 5 years) published works on this topic?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-05-2004, 12:30 PM

What does "starred" mean?

The only thing I can think of off-hand is Henci Goer's The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth. Lots of stats in there.
#3 of 5 Old 01-05-2004, 09:36 PM

I agree with the suggestion to consult Henci Goer's book. You might consider contacting her (I'm assuming it's a woman) directly.

Also take a look at Robbie Davis-Floyd's Birth as an American Rite of Passage. I know she is currently doing research on a new book, and if you contact her directly, I'm sure she would have some suggestions for where you can look. I believe she is University of Texas at Austin in the Anthropology Dept.

Best wishes!

warmly,
claudia
#4 of 5 Old 01-05-2004, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Blueviolet-
The long and short of a starred paper is that it is another option for the completion of a masters degree instead of a thesis. A starred paper is considerably shorter (25-75 pages rather than a thesis at 150+) and contains much less research. It also has to have some action componant to it so in addition to writing my paper I am creating a resource guide of book, magazines and web sites for new parents which focus on natural parenting and alternative literature.
#5 of 5 Old 01-05-2004, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hmm, I wonder...that's not something hospitals really tell you. They tell their c/s rate (which is a total lie; you could probably double whatever they say to get the correct answer!) but not their episiotomy rate, forceps, etc.

The Farm does have stats, but that of course is not a typical population sample. I also posted a poll a long time ago asking what interventions people had and another one asking where/how they gave birth, but again it's not a representative sample because according to the poll, which still occasionally gets a hit, over 50% had homebirths when the national rate is only between 1 and 5%.

You could also post at your local hospital that you are doing a survey and would like help.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page