Canadian news article on Midwifery & limiting choice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-05-2004, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Received this link in my email from a good friend who is a mentee of Gloria LeMay, the Birth Attendant featured in the article.

http://www.villageviews.ca

Happy reading!

warmly,
claudia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 01-05-2004, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read the article...thanks Claudia.

I had a midwife attended home birth in BC with registered midwives.
It was what I consider to be a positive experience, however there were a few incidents that caused me stress and were not ideal. They talked about induction as soon as I hit 40 weeks, and the scare talk got worse and worse until I went into labour at 41 weeks. Also, during the birth, they were a bit nagging about what sounds I should be making and when did I want to rupture the membranes etc. (happened by itself eventually). Then they told me not to push because the supervisor had not yet arrived due to traffic. Then they called paramedics who arrived after the baby was born and who left immediately.
Part of me thinks that I would have been better off alone, but I wouldn't know what to do in an emergency and believe that it is a matter that requires some expertise. At the time, I was unaware of how political the whole situation was and how much pressure and control was being exerted by the medical establishment.
But still, IMO, way way better than your average hospital birth.
Who do these people think they are for telling women they are irresponsible and putting their babies at risk? The whole thing makes me mad.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page