Unsure about first midwife appt... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-07-2004, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 10 weeks pregnant and had my first midwife appointment on Monday. With my first child, I saw an OB and had a hospital birth but with this one I am excited to have found a free-standing birth center with CNMs. My question is about the first visit since I know nothing. In the literature I received, it said during the first visit mom should have a complete exam including pap smear, etc. I didn't have this (not that i'm dissapointed but it has been 3 yrs since my last exam and I just wanted to make sure everything is ok) Does anyone know whether this is a service provided by a CNM? I'm a little confused and since my first birth was a horrible hospital one, i'm a little sensitive to every little thing.

Thank you for any help!!

edited to say : I just want to clarify that I did already have my first visit last Monday and there was no exam. Just making sure I was clear on that Thanks for all your replies
#2 of 7 Old 01-07-2004, 10:26 PM

Well, I can do pap smears (and so can CNMs), but I dont' do them in pregnancy. Some midwives will do them, others do not.

You can always wait until postpartum to do the pap/exam.
#3 of 7 Old 01-07-2004, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your response. I guess I just wondering if it was standard practice at every first appt since it said so in the literature they provided. Maybe it was referring to the OBs that work in an adjacent bldg. I will wait until my postpartum check (I like to put these things off as long as possible)

Thanks
#4 of 7 Old 01-08-2004, 01:02 PM

my midwives don't do ANY internals unless you ask. If you really want one, ask. I can see how maybe you'd be wanting to check if you hadn't had a pap in a long time, but then again I can also see how a midwife might not do them routinely.
#5 of 7 Old 01-08-2004, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am doing the CNM/birth center route, and had one done with baby #1, as I was due for one anyway. With this baby, I didn't have one, as I had had one three months prior. If it's time for one, you can certainly ask for one. My guess is that they would probably do one anyway.
#6 of 7 Old 01-10-2004, 02:26 AM

I had my first baby with an ob/cnm combined practice. I had my second (homebirth) with a cnm practice.

The differences between the two were astounding. I was very, very surprised when I went to my first visit and was instructed on how to use the scale and test my own urine and record all findings in my chart. At first, I really could not believe that they trusted me to weigh myself and evaluate my own dipstick and even write on my chart...but then I realized that 1) it's not rocket science and 2) I am perfectly capable and 3) I have a vested interest in doing it accurately and 4) it's my information! It belongs to ME!

I came to love the way the cnm's expected me to take responsibility for myself. I love the way the lines of communication are completely open and clear. If I want something, if I have a question, I ask. If I want to know something about the whys and wherefores of their practice, I ask. I love that the relationship I have with my cnm is a partnership...it's nothing like the paternal relationship I had with my former ob.

What I hear you saying, mama, is that the cnms you are seeing said they were going to do something, and they didn't do it. Maybe I'm reading more into this than is really there, but it seems like you're saying that because of this, you have concerns about the competency of the care they will provide. I think it's absolutely valid to question the competency of your caregivers, but in order to question effectively, you have to be willing to bring your issues to the table.

My suggestion to you is to hash this out with them. Keep an ongoing list of the things you want to talk about, and take that list to every appointment. It could very well be that they had a reason to not do the pap, but since you didn't ask, they didn't know it was a concern for you.

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
#7 of 7 Old 01-11-2004, 10:31 AM

With my initial visit to see my midwife it was mainly just a getting to know each other visit. We talked about the birth of my daughter, fears and concerns what I expected, etc. The second visit, they did an full exam.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page