Clitoral Stimulation During Labor? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-07-2010, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
you know I think I would say something to the midwife if for nothing else for privacy - I have had my own personal experience with this and I have seen a few laboring moms who would openly touch themselves but I know that some of the midwives I worked with have never thought of it or seen it and it would come as quite a surprise -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2010, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyofHero View Post
i personally was very aware of this pressured and stretched feeling in the clitoral area during labor, and a few times i found myself thinking "OMG, I hope my clit doesn't tear in two!!", so, honestly I don't see how someone could concentrate on rubbing it pleasurably in that situation.
however, if you can, and it's helping, then by all means, break out the vibrator!
Ditto. My only thought about my clit was protecting it from damage. I remember at one point feeling like I was going to tear that way and alerting my midwife. I don't know exactly what she did, but that stopped. I only ended up having a few tiny tears, and kinda in all directions. Like an asterisk.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:34 PM

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

Old 10-23-2010, 12:12 PM

This is super interesting! I've not tried it, but I can see how it would have a lot of potential to help some women. My last birth was a UC(planning another with current bun in the oven), and I had a hospital birth before that. Laura Shanley's info is very much about the connection between sex and birth. That they come out much the way they went in. Erotic movement, stimulation, intimacy... All of these things helped promote a more peaceful natural labor. I was pretty shy last time, and ended up birthing almost entirely by myself, but I can see how interacting with my DH or channeling my own sexual energy would help.

Interestingly, while pushing out my daughter, I felt that getting into the exact position in which I typically reach orgasm and using the same movement was what it took it birth her. I tried the whole squatting thing, but ended up on my knees with my hips thrust forward, my legs close together. Excuse me if that is TMI. A little background... I could never achieve O from intercourse prior to having met DH. I "learned" how to with him, and had a limited range in which it would happen at the time of my daughter's birth. I am curious to see, years later after having expanded my O repertoire, if I am able to birth in a different position, and if it will match the position I was when I got pregnant(I can recall the exact "oopsy" responsible). Watching UC birth videos, I think this could be true... The connection between "out the same way they went in". Birth connected to "the little death". I see women get into positions that are inherently sexual. I think attended births, where women are encouraged/coached into positions they might not choose, might not have the same story. I think of hospital births where women are stuck on their backs with their feet in the air(where I have been before), and I can see how that wouldn't facilitate gentle birth for many woman. I reach O most often on top.

Back on topic... I think clitoral stimulation would be something to try!
Old 10-23-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Face View Post
In a way labor can feel a bit like a sensory overload and I was afraid to add something more to it.
This is how I felt last time. It took all of my concentration to get through each contraction, and I didn't want anything else going on - nobody rubbing or touching me, nobody talking or moving, etc. It was all so intense that the idea of nipple stimulation or anything else seemed completely overwhelming.

BUT if you're interested you should try it! See how you feel then. It obviously works for some people. I feel like Ina May (or maybe someone else) said that it was also good for flooding the area with even more blood to make it extra stretchy and avoid tearing. It has interested me this pregnancy, because I was cut or tore with each of my other babies. I'll keep it in mind, but everything is so dependent on "the moment".

I'm 38 weeks, so if I have a baby before you I'll repost if I do it
Old 10-25-2010, 02:32 PM

i actually gave it a go when my waters broke but no contractions happened that i could feel. it didn't work (and the eventual pitocin didn't either) except to relax me a little.
i do have a friend who felt that helped her a great deal, though. (which is why i tried it too)

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 10-25-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
This is how I felt last time. It took all of my concentration to get through each contraction, and I didn't want anything else going on - nobody rubbing or touching me, nobody talking or moving, etc. It was all so intense that the idea of nipple stimulation or anything else seemed completely overwhelming.
That's kind of how it was for me, too. I remember DH trying to touch my hand-- in the lightest possible way, trying in his own way to be reassuring-- and I nearly slugged him. I wanted nothing, nobody, NOTHING to touch me, to the point that I was extraordinarily irritated by gravity, because it meant that there HAD to be something touching me.

I think if somebody had suggested clitoral or breast stimulation, I would have ripped their face off, so they'd stop talking.

I am not a violent person, by any means, ever. But laboring took all the concentration I had, and I felt like somebody had taken my skin off, and even the tiniest touches made me feel rage.

So I guess I'm saying it's a cool idea, and obviously works for lots of women. But for me? Forget it. So I'd suggest being open to following your feelings in the moment, rather than planning ahead too much. I had DH all prepped to expect to be supportive in certain ways, and he experienced quite a lot of disappointment in how minimal his role turned out to be-- I basically made him stay as far away from me as he could while still being in the room, and he wasn't even allowed to talk. Which is totally not how I imagined it would be, or what we'd talked about and read about-- but once I was there in that time and space, it was the only thing I could tolerate.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 10-26-2010, 03:28 AM

delete

Mommy to Little Girl, Age 3. Baby Boy, Age 8 months.  caffix.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

User Tag List