Surprise twin at birth - possible? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-21-2009, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it possible in this day and age for a woman to only find out she was expecting twins at birth?

Someone said that they heard of a lady who even had a 20wk US but baby 2 was missed (apparently they only kept the probe on part of her abdomen?) Then I Googled and found another story describing a surprise twin birth, but I wonder if it is possible. Could the US miss a second baby at 20 weeks if the technician stays on only one spot of the abdomen? And what about fundus measurement and palpation - wouldn't that too show that there are more than 1?

Two of my kids keep saying that there are 2 babies in there, but I tell them that the doctor already looked inside and there is only 1. It is wishful thinking on their part because we once lost twins... But that got me wondering whether there are women to whom this actually happens and the shock during birth :shock:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 06:17 AM

The leader at my son's co op just had a birth with a surprise twin.. about a month ago.
I think she hb'd, so I don't know if she had a US or not.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

Old 05-21-2009, 09:58 AM

Yeah, I do think it's possible this day in age, especially with a large movement of women going to more HB'ing and less US. But even in mainstream OB care, things move so quickly to get women in and out as fast as possible, it seems it's easy to miss. One of my friends had a full mainstream birth, but the OB's office was always so packed and so rushed they completely missed one of the babies in every US she had (I think she had 5 US total but each one lasted about 3 minutes). There were other signs that something wasn't 'normal' (elevated BP, baby measuring small) but they chalked that up to just the way her body worked. Imagine her surprise when the second one came at birth!

Andi, 32 - SAHM to Aaron Patriot born at home on 8/7/09 and devoted wife to Paul. : EC, Non-Circ ::
Old 05-21-2009, 01:13 PM

My midwife worked at a birth center where they had a surprise twin birth. If they'd known it was twins they wouldn't have been able to have it at the birth center. She said they'd done u/s but baby b was always hiding behind baby a.

Kara mommy to Jason 9/27/04 ribboncesarean.gif, Jacob 6/1/06 vbac.gif, Nathan 11/13/08 ribboncesarean.gif, and twin boys Isaac and Caleb born 1/10/11 vbac.gif

User Tag List