help me!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-18-2004, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Serves me right for getting internals....

I went to the dr a couple week ago and found that I was 1cm and almost 100% effaced. I went back last week and I'm tight (not even a fingertip) and no effacement at all. Now I can understand some slight difference but from 100% to none...I don't see how that is mistakeable. Anyway, I get to talking about everything going on. About how I keep contracting I get to having them 5 minutes apart and 60 seconds in duration and that they gain in stretngth but in 3 or 4 hours they just stop.

So, she asked how far I dliated with ds and why I had the c/b. So, I explain everything to her and she said, "Well, you have about a 30% chance of doing this vbac. In fact "we" don't even think you will go into labor on your own." (Especially from what I was telling her.) She said I start into labor but my body peters out. blah blah blah.

So, I'm shaky on the whole vbac thing anyway and then I have this ob telling me this!

I see the ob I like on wednesday and see what she says.

Is it true that vbacs are "less succesful" with a ftp dx? My mws said the same thing but I've never read it anywhere. They have all said that if baby had been breech or was in distress it would be different.

What do you think??

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2004, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No, it's not true. All failure to progress is due to failure to wait or be patient on the provider's part. It's usually due to failed induction or having strict guidelines about going "overdue".

You have providers that are not willing to be very flexible with you. That is a not so good sign for your VBAC attempt.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with Pam -- the mentality of the care provider not only affects your ability to progress, but also their perception of what progress is. IGNORE! You can do it!
Old 01-18-2004, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Well, the OB that I do like is gung ho for vbac. She acted like there was no doubt I could do it. So, I'm glad I'm talking to her on wednesday! Hopefully she will be helpful and calm about all of this.

Old 01-19-2004, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
In fact "we" don't even think you will go into labor on your own."
So they think you will just never have the baby unless they interfere? Do they really think that this time next year you will be carrying a one-year-old child in your uterus? Is there any case of that ever happening?

I guarantee you, if you were chained in a dungeon and no doctor was around to make your body do things, your baby would still come out.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:20 AM

Knowing your story, how can she possibly think you won't go into labor on your own?? As I recall, you were induced when you weren't in labor so that your dh could be there for the birth, because otherwise he might have been out of town, right? And it was a straight-up cold induction, ie you weren't already in labor, right? And your "FTP" was because you were amped up on pitocin, which you're sensitive to?

So how can she possibly diagnose you as "once a FTP, always a FTP" when you didn't get the chance to go into labor the first time around?

She may be pro-VBAC, but it doesn't sound like she listened to your history very well.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 01-19-2004, 01:45 AM
XM

With ds, I was dilated 2-3 cm for the last few weeks. I finally went into labor at 41w 6d and had him the following day. During my labor, I actually regressed in dialation... in my case I went from 6cm to 4cm when my MW's assistant arrived. It was a disruption and my body was not going to dilate any further till it was 'safe' KWIM? When I was checked again a few hours later I was at 8+cm, so MW and assistant went for a walk and 30 minutes later I was pushing. DS was almost a pound bigger then dd and was born in 23 minutes.

I also need to add that I had prelabor for 3 weeks before ds was born... the last week I would have a couple hours of 'this-is-it!' ctx every night... good thing my MW was patient or I'd have been 'failure to progress' LOL!

I think fear (maybe of getting railroaded by your care providers?) may have had something to do with you closing up a little? Or maybe it is just the ebb and flux of your body getting ready for the big event. I know it was fear that kept me from feeling ready to birth. Do what you need to do to feel safe.

If you were cold-started on Pit without being ripe at all, then that labor should not even be considered in looking toward this one. That makes as much sense as the cowards who were afraid to take me as a client because I lost my dd (well, some would take me but only in a hospital). You are not a banana to be put in a bag... if you want to labor spontaneously, they need to give you a chance to ripen on your own!

XM
Old 01-19-2004, 02:00 AM

Since you already know it's ridiculous to get vaginal exams, why are you allowing them?
My suggestion is follow your gut, girl. You know what's right for you. Now's the time. There is no other.

Peace and Love to you.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:23 AM

I just want to send you a big hug... I'm sorry they are saying this... their negativity is *not* going to help you!

Can you get ahold of Ina May Gaskin's latest book? It's full of really wonderful birth stories, and a lot of these women had to overcome negativity from others and/or fears about the birth process (and they all went on to have great births). It might help to counter what you're being dished... I read this book, and I loved it, and I'm not even the "homebirth type." (hee hee hee)
Old 01-19-2004, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

When I was induced I was 3 cm and about 100%. I was also contracting every 5 minutes but they weren't causing any change. But yes, I was induced becuase dh was going out of town and this was supposed to be our only baby (I'm sooo glad he wasn't the only one though).

Its all so aggrivating to me! I was finally getting settled in to "ok, this is going to work" and then all this! Imagine my shagrin when MDC was down! I didn't have this group to say..Megan! Snap out of it and listen to yourself!!

Thanks ladies!

Oh and when I said I was a failed induction the ob I do NOT like (this is her first yr in actual practice) said..you mean ftp...there is no failed induction

Old 01-19-2004, 03:07 PM

Of course there is no such thing as a failed induction, that would imply that they did something wrong, it's easier for them to believe your body failed and not them

Did you have two different drs. do the two checks, that would explain the difference, in dilation, in addition to your body regressing.

With both my labors I was dilated weeks before delivery, with ds I had three weeks of prodromal labor, with dd, I had days of this is it contractions 3 minutes apart for up to 6 hours. Can you imagine if I went to the hospital, they said I was a 2 and then didn't progress, I would have had a c-section.

Trust your body, babies come when they are ready, your body doesn't need to dialate before labor anyway.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
Old 01-20-2004, 03:16 AM

Never go into labor on your own?

I am lmao!!!!

Failed induction would certainly be admitting THEIR failure. FTP puts it on mom. Sick.

Last year when I was "overdue," the MED wife asked if I'd like to be checked.
I told her that it was like having taro cards read, fun and amusing, but I would never base any plans on it. She liked that and said she'd remember to mention it to future clients.

FTP and CPD here, oh, that was before I insisted on my vbacs!
Old 01-20-2004, 04:25 AM

Just looked over your original post.

Why would she even ask how far you dialated with your first, and base a prediction of vbac on that?!

I would say, "Screw her!" If this was your first, you would have never dialated at all. Would she then tell you that you had a "30%" chance of birthing normally?! That is bullcrap.

So, how do I really feel about this? LOL

And as far as your contractions go, relax and enjoy, your body is just getting ready and doing it's thing!

Sorry, after being told my baby and I would die if I ever labored again, and having a medwife actually tell me at 36 weeks that I had a 10% (wtf?!) chance of rupturing with last year's vbac baby, I've heard it all and know better.

I suspect you know better too, in your brain and in your heart.

Not really a new member, just a really old member, recycled.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by its_our_family
Imagine my shagrin when MDC was down! I didn't have this group to say..Megan! Snap out of it and listen to yourself!!

Megan, I just responded to your other post, too (reading up on Birth & Beyond forum while sick dd is nursing in my lap in the wee hours, lol! ) ... and so now my question is -- you'll be in a hospital, you could have any number of un-supportive voices around possibly. Hopefully also the great OB too, but anyone could say something to discourage you throughout the process...
So I'm wondering, Who will be that voice during labor to say: Megan, Listen to yourself? Listen to your baby? Ignore that unhelpful voice? etc?

Is it a doula? A tape of affirmations you've recorded on headphones? A laptop of us.... um, probably not practical. Try options a & b, lol.
All women are vulnerable in labor, remember. What will help you remain solid in believing in your body in the 'professionals' are doubting you?

mb

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
Old 01-20-2004, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I had a doula. She broke her foot and is not taking anyone until after February. So, after weeks of working with her I was referred to her back-up. Her back-up is out of town until mid-february because her SO is returning from Iraq this week and then they are vacationing. The doula she referred me to has not returned any of my 5 phone calls or email.

the problem is that these doulas work for free and we cannot afford to actually pay a doula. So, I was referred to someone else but she has too many due when I am.

So, now I have dh Who is very good at telling to calm down...now who calms him down?? I think in honesty my dh doesn't really care if I have a repeat. He jsut wants us all safe and whatever is best. He really wants a vbac and is not pushed around by the medical field at all but if it comes down to it I believe he will be very level headed for me.

Old 01-20-2004, 02:46 PM

please, please do not believe "this just isn't going to happen!" change providers if you must, or have a last-minute homebirth. More and more women are choosing to have unassisted birth than risk another cesarean in hospital.

I must point out something negative, though I don't wish to. In my work (doula) it doesn't matter much if the OB seems VBAC friendly. You still have the nurses, the other drs in the practice, the anesthesiologist, and the hospital protocols, fueled by the insurance companies, believing that you can't do this. Please do what you can to surround yourself with people who believe wholeheartedly that this is not only possible but preferable.

If unassisted birth is not something you want you do not need to consent to another cesarean. After 41 or 42 weeks your provider will probably not work with you anymore if you refuse a cesarean, but so what? Labor at home (with lots of support) as long as you absolutely can, even have your dh check you, and go to the ER when you just can't keep the baby in anymore. You may be someone whose babies are *supposed* to be 42 or 43 weeks, but how can you know since you did not go into labor on your own the first time?

If you need a doula I will ask on some other lists I am on, if you like. Please PM me if you are interested. Good luck!
Old 01-20-2004, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Actually I just switched to this practice! I left my mws because they weren't vba friendly either! This is the only place I can find that is semi-friendly to vbac. The one ob in the office is totally for it! The other 3 are wishy-washy.

I have also been told it is a vbac friendly hospital too. I think their hang-up is that I was labelled ftp. I was told if it was simply about malpresentation it would be different. Well, I think part of my ftp was malpresentation. which is the same issue I'm fighting now!

I'm going to make one more phonecall to that one doula. I hear she is very good but hard to get ahold of!

Funny thing is that my mom had me 2 weeks early ONLY because her water broke after falling down the stairs. She had my sister 2 weeks late. Was dilated to 9 and was having a stress test to see if baby was ok. They didn't evenknow she was at 9. But when the first pit entered her system she went right to 10 and had her an hour later. So who knows how long she would have gone.

I don't think if I had had a vag delivery with ds this would be an issue for me. I would be having this baby at home. But I didn't so I'm not.

Old 01-20-2004, 07:32 PM

What are you going to do if they say "FTP"? Because unless you have a textbook labor, they most likely will.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Dh and I have talked about it and if I show no signs of progression after being in active labor for x amt of time then I will have a repeat. We both made this decision and I'm fine with it.

If the labor seems to be just like that of ds we will probably repeat.

I'm not going in till I'm really feeling it. I'm not going to go in once they are 5 minutes or closer apart. If I can still smile I'm staying home!

I'm ok with a repeat but I really want to vbac. I guess we'll see what happens If I do end up with a repeat then I'm not going to be sorry. Myabe I could have made better decision but I'll get over it.

User Tag List