Kate Hudson...baby too big??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 55 Old 01-18-2004, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I was reading some mag in the supermarket that Kate Hudson--Goldie Hawn's daughter--had her baby a few weeks ago via c-section because the baby was too big for her body. He weighed 8lbs.11ozs. The doctors told her that they needed to do a c-section because they feared the baby was growing too big for her small frame and estimated that it weighed close to 9lbs. Is this possible to determine this before labor even begins. My ds was 8lbs11ozs and I am 5'2", 105lbs. I had a vaginal delivery after pushing for 4hrs. I am just curious if this is a widespread problem--too big babies for women who are supposedly too small. When and how can you tell if this is an issue?
#2 of 55 Old 01-18-2004, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As someone who had a 5# baby and a near 10# I can tell you frfom experiance. It makes no difference. Thier heads were the same size, tiher shoulders had to have been close. My 10 pounder had two more chins than my 5# baby buit fat is squishy. Dr. do c-secs on small women because they fear they thier might be shoulder dystocia and they have no idea how to deal with it Also i think a lot of Dr.s really think the majority of women are just looking for a good excuse to have a c-section rather than give birth. unfortunately I think they may not be too far off the mark.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#3 of 55 Old 01-19-2004, 02:01 AM

This is horribly sad
#4 of 55 Old 01-19-2004, 02:04 AM

Quote:
I am just curious if this is a widespread problem--too big babies for women who are supposedly too small. When and how can you tell if this is an issue?

The widespread problem is doctors, not us.
#5 of 55 Old 01-19-2004, 02:08 AM

Do I hear $$'s? Or maybe the doc was going on vacation and wanted to get that birth outa the way so used the size as an excuse.

Or maybe she didnt want to get streched out down there like whoever is on with Regis.

With my first I went to a Dr for my first prenatal and when she heard I wanted to do a HB told me I was to small, the baby would never fit.:LOL : When I may be tiny framed but let me tell you the babes practically fall out of me. The peri is the only thing to small, tears each time.
#6 of 55 Old 01-19-2004, 02:35 AM

My best friend i 4 ft. 10.5 in., and her ideal weight is 104. Her first baby was a 26 weeker- 1lb.15oz.(vag.) Number two was 6lb12oz, also vag. Number three was to be attended by a CNM in a hospital. When she reached her DD, they started the standard crap, even though she had a "proven pelvis". The ultrasound showed an eight pound baby, so the OB "allowed" the MW to continue care. Her son was born 9 days past the DD, and weighed 9lb5oz. Labor was 3 hours total, but during pushing, she felt progress stop. Suatting for pushing brought him out. Kate Hudson did not need a csec.
#7 of 55 Old 01-19-2004, 03:38 AM

I toture myself by watching A Baby Story sometimes, and I can't tell you how many times the mom has a scheduled c-section "because the baby is too big." Not only is that in and of itself a load of crap, but more often than not the baby that the doctors were sure was going to be at least 10lbs comes out being just around 8lbs or so. Umm, don't the parents then kind of question being told that the mom had to have abdominal surgery? It really drives me crazy.
#8 of 55 Old 01-19-2004, 04:02 AM

I am going to let everyone in on a secret. When I worked in L&D we had quite a few local celebrity types deliver at our hosp. They would have their ob deliver the baby and then the plastic surgeon would step in to tip, tuck and close. It was all planned. Not one of these moms publically would say they had scheduled c/s for that reason, it was always "the baby was too big" or "I tried but was not progressing" and so on. My guess is that was the real reason for Kate's c/s.
#9 of 55 Old 01-19-2004, 04:39 AM

Yeah I read the article in In Touch magazine and was SO PISSED at the big deal they made about "Kate's emergency c-section!!"
And Ryder was a WHOPPING 8 lb. 11 ounces!
:
I'm 5'0", pre preg weight is 105 and I gave birth to an 8 lb 12 oz baby and a 9 lb. 1 oz. baby with no problem at all.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
And in the same issue, they mentioned Debra Messing's belly is getting big and they speculated her baby would be born sooner than expected. What does one have to do with the other?
And..they showed a picture of Courteney Cox's little teeny buldge and they're asking about twins.
What is wrong with these people?!?!?!?!
#10 of 55 Old 01-19-2004, 05:22 AM

Tabloids......... can't help but laugh at em really..... :LOL
#11 of 55 Old 01-19-2004, 05:24 AM

In Touch isn't a tabloid. It's a for-real magazine.
#12 of 55 Old 01-19-2004, 01:07 PM

Don't you guys know that celebrities are more important than us? Their pregnancies are always more important and their births are way more important. They have bigger, better babies than us and how they recovery is more serious than ours.
We just don't matter in this world!: : :
#13 of 55 Old 01-19-2004, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Goldie Hawn had all three of her children by Caesarean Section in 1976, 1978, and 198?.

I remember reading about the doctors telling Goldie that her babies were too big.

Are Caesarean Sections hereditary(?)

I guess they had the same inept doctor.

:LOL

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#14 of 55 Old 01-19-2004, 02:09 PM

Medical Studies and statistics prove that large babies are the main cause of obstetrical distress in doctors.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#15 of 55 Old 01-19-2004, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by applejuice
Medical Studies and statistics prove that large babies are the main cause of obstetrical distress in doctors.
*chuckle*....too funny.

IN re: to Courtney Cox....I'm *guessing* there will be specualtion about multips because she's been using fertility treatments. Not sure what they've been doing, but know they've made it public they've been using treatments and have had a hard time concieving.
#16 of 55 Old 01-19-2004, 02:14 PM

Fame and $ can't buy everything;

that includes critical thinking and intelligence.

#17 of 55 Old 01-19-2004, 02:23 PM

:abitT, but
RE: baby's weight

All of you L&D nurses: how often are those scales in the delivery room calibrated?

Do doctors tell you to lie about the weight to gain and/or confirm the "lie" that the baby is too big for a vaginal delivery?

I do not expect any response here, but I do recall weighing my baby brother, a moose, born at home when I was 14 in 1968. He kept moving, and the scale, standard at the time. kept moving, and I weighed him with my Father and finally decided that he was eight lbs eleven ounces.

I know everything is computerized now, but those cold rooms do something to the machinery and to the airpressure.

With all of mine born at home, I know that those tired midwives were not all very careful about being precise with the weight. My youngest was weighed with a fishing scale. In three days at the pediatrician's office, there was a marked difference.

#18 of 55 Old 01-19-2004, 02:28 PM

A very dear friend of mine who is 5'5- 5'6 and about 115-120 lbs (give or take) gave birth VAGINALLY to a beautiful 11lb (yes I meant to type 11) 5oz baby boy! She had barely a tear and has a very small frame. 8lbs, 11oz? Puhleeze, amateur! Doctors can be idiots sometimes.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#19 of 55 Old 01-19-2004, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Are Caesarean Sections hereditary(?)
Actually, if you were born that way it increases the chance that your babies will be. Not for any medical reason, of course, but because that's what your mom will tell you about birth (and rarely will they say anything bad about the procedure) so that's what you will come away with. Then when you're actually there, right in the middle of the hardest part, you'll remember there is a way out.
#20 of 55 Old 01-19-2004, 03:10 PM

Soon, we'll be like Brazil, where the middle to upper middle class and rich choose cesarean birth to protect their private parts (!) while only the POOR have those icky vaginal births.
#21 of 55 Old 01-19-2004, 03:14 PM

My point exactly, Greaseball.

Women learn about birth from their mothers.

After over a century of having babies in institutions, most women have no concept of natural birth in their families.

#22 of 55 Old 01-19-2004, 03:40 PM

[QUOTE]Fame and $ can't buy everything;

HAHAHAHAHA!! Applejuice-Your hilarious!!! :LOL :LOL :LOL

ITA as well!! If it is "what my mother went through" it is "Familliar" and therefore "Safe"..... right??? :LOL

NOT!!

Yes, I think that C-sec for ANY other reasone that MEDICALY NESESARRY (and MY definition of this is pretty harsh & narrow) is a CROCK!!!
#23 of 55 Old 01-19-2004, 04:00 PM

My grandmother was 5'4" and weighed about 115 pounds when she delivered her first child (my uncle). He was 9 lbs, 10 oz, I believe. She didn't tear, and she pushed him out in about 5 minutes after maybe half an hour of labor. After delivery, she went right back to her pre-pregnancy weight of about 94 pounds.

I am 5'1" with a very large frame and had a great deal of difficulty pushing out a 7 lb 7 oz baby. He was actually born with a vacuum thingy. You can't really tell by size of the outside, it has to do with the space in the middle of your pelvis. So while it's unlikely, it is possible that the baby was too big for her to push out. I think that the quickie tummy-tuck is more likely, though. How else do you explain the way celbrity moms don't seem to have a post-partum chubby period like the rest of us?

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#24 of 55 Old 01-19-2004, 06:44 PM

Quote:
[i]And in the same issue, they mentioned Debra Messing's belly is getting big and they speculated her baby would be born sooner than expected. What does one have to do with the other?
[/B]
I was watching Ellen the other day, and Debra Messsing was on. She was showing off her beautiful belly, and Ellen asked when she was having the baby. She said that they doctor said that the baby will be done --- (can't remember the date). Ellen said something like "you can just schedule the birth now right" and Debra said no, no, no! Then Ellen asked if it was a boy or a girl and Debra said I don't know, and I don't want to know!

I was like YAAAAA!
#25 of 55 Old 01-19-2004, 06:46 PM

Schedule the birth?!?!?! Where do people come up with this?
#26 of 55 Old 01-19-2004, 07:00 PM

From OBGYNs of course..... :

(arent they gods afterall???)
#27 of 55 Old 01-19-2004, 07:32 PM

I think the "baby is too big" excuse is bull..
#28 of 55 Old 01-19-2004, 07:42 PM

"You can't really tell by size of the outside, it has to do with the space in the middle of your pelvis."

Unless the pelvis is deformed, it has a lot more to do with the management of the pushing phase. For instance, squatting opens up the pelvic outlet by 30%. Honestly, I would be surprised if Kate Hudson could push out a nine-pound baby, given typical obstetrical management.
#29 of 55 Old 01-19-2004, 07:51 PM

Last year I caught a 9 lb baby that, quite literally, flew out of my patient, who was a stout 4'10 first time mom. The residents and my CNM instructor on the floor were convinced she wouldn't progress because of her size (lovely, I know). When I examined her (which my instructor had not), she had the roomiest pelvis I have ever felt! I was quite delighted when the baby came right down by himself and she barely pushed to get the little one out. She didn't need even one stitch! Pretty impressive and a great reminder to all those that doubted her ability that women are meant to birth!
#30 of 55 Old 01-19-2004, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
With typical hospital management, I was unable to push out a 7.5 lb baby, but I know it has nothing to do with my pelvis. I believe at home I can deliver a much larger one with a lot less effort.

Remember, the pelvic ligaments stretch, and the baby's head molds...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page