epi Q - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 05-23-2009, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if i do get and epi
do u have to be on a bedpan?
or can you still control your bladder and such?
i havent had one with ether of the boys but i figure it has to be helpful
to deal with pain both of my labors where back labor and im SOO not happy
about doing the horrid pain so bad i puke again

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
#2 of 26 Old 05-23-2009, 01:37 AM

I think they cath you with an epidural. But I haven't had one so I don't know for sure.

Danielle, fabric artist, mama to Eleanor 5/05 and Charlotte James 09-26-09
#3 of 26 Old 05-23-2009, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had an epidural with DS after 12 hours on pitocin, and they gave me a catheter. It was really weird to have this bad of pee attached to my leg. It was one of the things I disliked the most about my birth. Also- once you have the epidural they make you lay in bed for the rest of labor. Mine wore off after a few hours, but only on my right side- which was weird. Then when it came time to push I felt everything anyway. The one good thing it did for me was allow me to sleep. I had been laboring for a long time and it was nice to snooze for a few hours before my 3 hours of pushing.
#4 of 26 Old 05-23-2009, 08:42 AM

I have had an epidural with all 4 boys. The 4th didnt work but thats another story. You do NOT have to have a cath with an epidural. I simply asked and used a bedpan. Just tell them you would like to try. I didnt want to risk a bladder infection after giving birth. I had 4 really long hard labors and used the bed pan a couple times. WIth me at that point I just didnt want something haning out of me. All my boys came in 2 to 3 pushes so it didnt impeed the delivery.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#5 of 26 Old 05-23-2009, 10:13 AM

They gave me a catheter when I had an epi.

Stephanie, Mama to five beautiful kids, wife to J

#6 of 26 Old 05-23-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
I have had an epidural with all 4 boys. The 4th didnt work but thats another story. You do NOT have to have a cath with an epidural. I simply asked and used a bedpan. Just tell them you would like to try. I didnt want to risk a bladder infection after giving birth. I had 4 really long hard labors and used the bed pan a couple times. WIth me at that point I just didnt want something haning out of me. All my boys came in 2 to 3 pushes so it didnt impeed the delivery.
You can ask for the bedpan, especially if your support person is willing to help you use it so the nurses don't have to be bothered with it. I had an epi with Natalie's birth (won't EVER get one again...long story) and I didn't have the catheter. Of course, I had her within 45 mins of getting the epi, so it would have been a non-issue.

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#7 of 26 Old 05-23-2009, 01:01 PM

I had a cath with my epi, but a friend of mine did not. I'm not sure why, but perhaps it is not necessarily standard procedure. The cath did not bother me at all, going in or coming out, and I never even noticed the bag.

Incidentally, I loved my labor and birth, thanks to the epidural. Six hours after my water broke, I was still at 1 cm. After getting the epidural, I dilated 9 cm in 4 hours, felt nothing but pressure, and birthed my son in 4 pushes. I know there are lots of epidural horror stories, but I never regretted mine for an instant and totally enjoyed every second of my pain-free birth.

Mommy to a boy (6), girls (4&2), and our baby boy (8 months)

Missing Ashlyn 10/18/06 and Brennan 10/18/10
#8 of 26 Old 05-23-2009, 02:20 PM

If you had back labor in previous pregnancies, I would recommend checking out spinningbabies.com and seeking chiropractic support during the pregnancy rather than relying on an epidural. Back labor is caused by malpositioning of the baby, which can usually be dealt with much more easily and with fewer risks than an epi.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#9 of 26 Old 05-23-2009, 02:51 PM

They did not cath me when I had an epidural.
#10 of 26 Old 05-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Banned

No, you can't still control your bladder afaik. They will give you a cathader. I'm surprised to see that some hospitals don't, mine always did.

I felt the cathader both times and it was quite uncomfortable. I also got a UTI both times a few days later.
#11 of 26 Old 05-23-2009, 05:46 PM

For me it depended on if i could get up to pee. With DD, I'd had the epidural in for a long time, couldn't get up to pee and they put in a catheter after I'd gotten a certain amount of fluids. With DS, I had an epidural, but I delivered quickly and got up to pee myself afterwards so I didn't need one.

This was in Canada though.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#12 of 26 Old 05-23-2009, 06:40 PM

Ugh... they cath'd me with DS1, and it gave me a UTI like nothing I'd ever felt before... not nice!
#13 of 26 Old 05-23-2009, 07:10 PM

We typically either put an indwelling catheter in if we think it's going to be more than 3-4 hours until a woman delivers, but will straight cathe (put it in to drain and then take it right out) if the woman is close to delivery.

Depending on the strength or density of the epidural, you can try to use a bedpan, but most people will be unable to.

Mama to P. born at home 10/09, and W. born in the hospital 2/13

#14 of 26 Old 05-23-2009, 07:45 PM

I had 3 epidurals and catheters with all of them- put in after I was numb from the epi. No UTIs with any of them, and I'm prone to them when not pregnant. All 3 times, the catheter was removed immediately following delivery and I was peeing on my own within an hour.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#15 of 26 Old 05-23-2009, 07:50 PM

IMO I would try to prepare myself for the pain of back labor. I am pregnant with my first, so obviously this is not from experience, but for me the risks of an epidural outweigh any pain I might feel because pain is temporary.
That being said, if you do decide to get it because it's right for you don't rely on it too much, there is always a chance that it would not work and going in thinking you will be pain free and then not being pain free at all can be a big disappointment, and stressful!
Good luck with your decision!

Elijah Mercury (7/2009), TTC #2 with my new soon to be DH! Tattooed, 29 year old cancer survivor! treehugger.gif

#16 of 26 Old 05-23-2009, 07:59 PM

Same hospital for both births, was cathed for the first one, but not the second. I was able to pee by myself about one hour after the birth, so didn't need to get one afterwards, and they hadn't put one in beforehand.
#17 of 26 Old 05-23-2009, 08:12 PM

I was cathed. Couldn't pee otherwise, started being painful, so I consented to the cath. They removed it when it was time to push. I actually needed another cath hours later. I still didn't have feeling, started feeling pain again in my bladder, tried using a bedpan several times with no results. After almost 8 hours after delivery I basically insisted to the nurse that I wanted to be cathed because I still had no feeling, but could feel pain & pressure of my bladder. They did a straight cath, which is just to empty the bladder that one time. A couple hours later I had feeling again & was soon able to stand but it still took several hours after that before I could finally control (well, release I guess is a better word) my bladder & allow myself to go.
#18 of 26 Old 05-23-2009, 10:42 PM

I'm not sure with my second, I don't think I did, because she was born very soon after the epidural and I was up an hour or less after she was born. The first thing I did was to go to the bathroom to pee.

With my first, I felt the urge and asked for a bedpan but I couldn't do it (maybe all those people in the room?) so they cathed me. Again though, I was up very soon after birth and was able to use the bathroom. No UTI either time.
#19 of 26 Old 05-23-2009, 11:17 PM

I had DS in 1995 at a Kaiser Permanente hospital with an epidural and no catheter. I don't remember ever having to use the bathroom at all. It was about 9 hours from induction to delivery.

My epidural did start to wear off before pushing due to a malfunction with the machine. It was OK though because I could feel to push but I didn't have intense pain.

If I were you I'd ask your doc and the hospital what their procedures are. It seems to be all over the board here.

Stephanie: married mom to 4

Located just slightly left of sanity.

#20 of 26 Old 05-24-2009, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

well im Scared to deaht to get an epi ie heard horror storys too but let me tell you
OHHH FREAKING GOSH! laqbor was very very very painful with both boys to the point when i puke becasue of intense pain
no i dont think if i get an epi its going to be all sun shine and roses
but if it helps that would be great!
im just worried about how long it will be till i am able to get up and walk i DO not like to be tied down and not able to move

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
#21 of 26 Old 05-24-2009, 01:10 AM

I had an intrathecal (different spot, one dose [so no turning it up or down], and shorter time span) and I wasn't cath'd and I didn't have a bedpan. I was even overdosed and was still able to go to the bathroom relatively soon after.

My sister has had 3 c-setions and as a result three epis. They made her get up and attempt to go to the bathroom within 3 hours I think? I'll ask her for specifics. She's had both cath and no cath I do believe.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#22 of 26 Old 05-24-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom-to-jj View Post
I had a cath with my epi, but a friend of mine did not. I'm not sure why, but perhaps it is not necessarily standard procedure. The cath did not bother me at all, going in or coming out, and I never even noticed the bag.
same here. I never even knew when I had to pee while I was still numb so I'm wondering how everyone knew to ask for a bed pan. sorry if that's tmi.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#23 of 26 Old 05-24-2009, 12:45 PM

With DD1 they cathed me with my epidural. I was not asked or told about it before hand and i was really not expecting it- but it was done after I was numb and I really did not care at that point- I was so close to having the baby and concerned about dropping heart rates, that I was preoccupied.

With DD2 I had an epidural and was not cathed. I just went to the bathroom before hand, then got the epidural, had the baby an hour later, then about an hour after birth asked if I could get up to pee. They told me that I had to wait for 4 hours to go by from removal before I could walk to the bathroom. When the hour mark hit- I rung in the nurse, she tried to "help" me to the bathroom, but I rushed ahead of her because I had to pee so badly- she didn't bother trying to help me back to the bed, just used the time to clean up my sheets.

I think it is a hospital policy thing- but I am just guessing- It may be a case by case thing as well.

Unschooling Mommy of 3: Lilith (14), Panda (6), and Fox (4)
#24 of 26 Old 05-24-2009, 05:42 PM

Moved to Birth and Beyond.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#25 of 26 Old 05-24-2009, 07:03 PM

I had a cath with my epi. It's pretty standard here. There is absolutely no way I would have been able to 1) know when I needed to pee and 2) been able to move enough to use a bedpan. I was completely paralyzed with dead-weight, floppy legs.

The no pain was great, but the side effects weren't. I much prefer my hypnosis births (comfortable without side effects).

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

#26 of 26 Old 05-24-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
If you had back labor in previous pregnancies, I would recommend checking out spinningbabies.com and seeking chiropractic support during the pregnancy rather than relying on an epidural. Back labor is caused by malpositioning of the baby, which can usually be dealt with much more easily and with fewer risks than an epi.
: : :

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page