Overdue, Bloody Show - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-26-2009, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I am 42 + 5 today, and although I am making small cervical progress (cervix is very ripe, at least 50% effaced, and during my vaginal exam late yesterday she said that I went from 1 to 3 cm), the baby's head is sitting at station -1, and not really moving down.

My question is this, usually after a vaginal exam, I have had brown spotting, and yesterday morning, which was about 48 hours after my previous vaginal exam, I started having bloody show, which has continued throughout today. Would this be related most likely to the exam 2 days earlier, or maybe a sign of impending labor? I just really want for something to start happening. I have to go in for my first ultrasound tomorrow, which I really wanted to avoid, but unless I go into labor tonight, probably won't be able to. I've been having menstrual cramps for weeks, but no real contractions yet. This is my first baby -- can pregnancy last forever??
#2 of 8 Old 05-26-2009, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Pregnancy cannot last forever, and the bloody show might indeed be a sign of impending labor, as might those "menstrual cramps" you've been having.

Here's hoping you're too busy having a baby to have that ultrasound.
#3 of 8 Old 05-26-2009, 05:39 PM

Pregnancy can't last forever; I wouldn't worry about that!

Bloody show that continues is most DEFINITELY progress, and probably not at all related to the cervical check. If you are worried about not progressing, have you tried anything 'natural induction' wise? I had great success with castor oil (NO MORE THAN 2 TBLS!) with my first, although this time I'm trying to keep baby in while I do some MAJOR nesting.

Anyways, RRL tea? Dtd? Nipple stimulation? If you're having bloody show, your body is likely ready and those things will help.

Oh, and do some hip circles/belly dancing/yoga maybe to get baby to shake down? Belly dancing always feels good for me when baby is engaging.
#4 of 8 Old 05-26-2009, 05:42 PM

Hee. Feels like forever, doesn't it? Its hard to accept, but this is only the first of many situations now completely out of your control.

Here's what I would do if I were in your shoes, blissfully not yet saddled with your newborn baby and free to do whatever you like for at least a few more hours! (See how it looks from here?)

Relax. Take a good long walk in the early summer evening. Do some yoga meditation. Maybe go out to dinner tonight for what *could be* the last time in a looong while. Enjoy yourself! Have a glass of wine (can't hurt now...) to help you get to sleep tonight. Get romantic (that helps labor too!).

Good luck...
#5 of 8 Old 05-26-2009, 08:49 PM

You def ARE progressing. And FWIW- my "real" contractions felt entirely like menstrual cramps. Never the tightening and do NOT show up on monitors!

But I'd suspect that you don't have more than 48 hours- just rest and enjoy your last night's sleep! :
#6 of 8 Old 05-27-2009, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your responses! Well, it didn't happen last night, so I'm planning on going to the ultrasound this afternoon. We did go out to a nice, relaxing dinner last night and just getting out and doing something different was such a nice distraction. My husband brought me home a huge bunch of flowers, and I just had a feeling that last night could be it -- but to no avail...

I'm continuing to have bloody show, so I am taking that as a good sign that labor is not too far away. I have tried all of the other suggestions, but have had to do less walking because I pulled a muscle in my hip a few days ago, and have been trying to get that to heal before labor. My cramps have slowed down in the past couple of days, and I was waiting to try the castor oil because I wanted my body to just go into spontaneous labor, plus if it didn't work, I was worried that it could affect the amniotic flud volume for the ultrasound

I will be 43 weeks either tomorrow or Friday, depending on which date that I use, so maybe this baby will be here by then. I'll just keep bouncing on my birth ball in the meantime, and try to relax... Thanks again for all of your wise advice!
#7 of 8 Old 05-27-2009, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

I had my ultrasound this afternoon, and I wouldn't say that the results are surprising, but not really encouraging either. My placenta was at a grade 3, which from what I understand, is common at 43 weeks. I do have low levels of amniotic fluid (3.1), and the estimated fetal weight was 10 #, 6 oz. I know that this late, fetal weight can definitely be off. But, in sum, this is really making my midwife nervous because of the possible risks and the fact that I am still not in labor. I am going to see her tomorrow, but I have to decide if, and at what point, do I want to take castor oil, and if that doesn't work, should I allow myself to be induced? The main concerns are fetal distress during delivery, meconium aspiration, and/or trouble in labor, shoulder dystocia, because of one of more of these findings. Incidentally, it was the abdomen and femur readings that accounted for the large weight reading, as the head circumference was associated with 40w, 2d. Any advice? I don't want to start having this fear, but I acknowledge that the risks do go up. Our plan was for a waterbirth at home, and I would feel devastated to have to give this up, but the baby's safety is most important to me.
#8 of 8 Old 05-27-2009, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
The first thing I want to say is: don't get too het up about the weight estimate. Those estimates are so often inaccurate that it's crazy. You just can't put any store by those numbers at all. I've heard of them being off by as much as three pounds, and I have never heard of a case where they've been on. So the big baby stuff... let it go.

The concerns about fluid levels and your midwife's comfort with the birth are another issue, and I can't help you with those.

You are nearly three weeks post-dates, which even the crunchiest of us can probably agree is overdue. I think that some steps to get things moving are justified, but I'd start with the most natural and least invasive - nipple stimulation, sex, walking (as much as you can take it - your poor hip!), castor oil. Talk to your midwife about the possibility of having your membranes swept. And talk to your midwife about what methods would be used and what parts of your birth plan can be salvaged if you do have to have a medical induction.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page