Mothering Forum banner

Consuming Placenta

473 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  littlebb 
#1 ·
I want to encapsulate my placenta after this birth, but am worried about getting what I need, actually doing it when I want to be resting, etc. etc. etc... I was thinking it would be easier to just cut it up into chunks, and then swallow them like pills. Would that not work the same way? Also, how long is the placenta okay to be out after the birth before I should start getting it into the freezer?

#2 ·
I have a similar thread going in the Homebirth section called Placenta Smoothies.

It's my understanding that drying and encapsulating is not only a lot of work, but the placenta loses a lot of its minerals and vitamins in the process. My midwife (and others who've been doing this a long time) highly suggest consuming the placenta in it's original form. Many women who aren't squeamish do consume the placenta just as you described by swallowing chunks of it. Most common is making placenta smoothies - it gets ground up so that it's easier to digest and the flavor can be masked with fruit and berries or bloody mary mix. If you still want to encapsulate, you might want to consider consuming some immediately after birth AND encapsulating. I believe my midwife said the placenta would last a day or two in the refrigerator before needing to be frozen or thrown out. I'm going to keep a few chunks out and cut up some more to freeze and throw in smoothies over the following week or so.

There were a lot of great smoothie suggestions on the Homebirth thread you might want to check out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.