Postpartum Hemorrhage - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-19-2004, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted this in the Pregnancy forum and haven't gotten much of a response, I just realized this is probably a better place for it.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on ways to help prevent a postpartum hemorrhage. When I gave birth to my son (in a free standing birth center w/ a midwife) I had a pretty bad hemorrhage right after the placenta came out. My midwife had to manually massage my uterus and shot me up with pitocin and some other drug to get my uterus to clamp down. At the time I didn't realize how bad it was (though I could see the midwife students hands shaking as she gave my midwife the syringe.) Luckily, she was able to stop the bleeding very quickly, so I didn't need to be transferred to a hospital and I was fine, though weak. When we talked afterward she said the hemorrhage happened because my uterus was exhausted (I had about a 4 hour pushing phase.) I didn't have any retained placenta. And I recovered well from the birth.

Now I'm 7 weeks pregnant again with my second child and I have to admit I'm a bit nervous about having another hemorrhage. I read somewhere on the web that if you have one PPH your likely to have another one. I plan to use the same midwife group at the same birth center. I've already seen my midwife and she suggested we do an active management of the third stage of delivery to help prevent hemorrhage. I agreed, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do. Has anyone else experienced a PPH? Any suggestions?
#2 of 12 Old 01-19-2004, 11:59 PM

Same exact thing happend after the birth of my daughter. (Birthcenter, shots of pitocin, uterine massage, and I almost passed out when I stood up to go pee) Mine was most likely caused by the uterine fibroid fibrod but could have been caused by 2.5 hours of pushing. I'll keep checking back to see if anyone has any preventative measures as I hope to get preggers again this fall.
#3 of 12 Old 01-20-2004, 12:08 AM

One of the best things you can do is get your iron levels up with Floradex supplements and iron-rich foods. When your iron levels are low, your uterus doesn't contract as effeciently after birth and any small amount of blood loss is hard for your body to deal with.

Chances are, this labor will be shorter. Stay well hydrated during labor and make sure your placenta is not rushed.
#4 of 12 Old 01-20-2004, 02:10 AM

It might be helpful for you to do some research on management of second stage of labor.

Here are a few relevant links:

http://www.ucbirth.com/river.htm

http://www.parentsplace.com/pregnanc...574371,00.html

http://www.parentsplace.com/expert/m...235831,00.html
#5 of 12 Old 01-21-2004, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your responses.

pamamidwife - Gosh, I hope you're right. In that I'll have a shorter labor. My own midwife said the same thing. My iron levels were actually very good throughout my last pregnancy, so I'm hoping they'll be good again.

blueviolet - thank you for the links. Very interesting stuff. I think I'm going to have research that some more. I'm curious to see what my midwife thinks of it too. I pushed very hard, in fact my voice was completley hoarse afterward from all the groaning.

sun-shine01 - Sorry to hear you had to go through the same thing. It wasn't much fun was it? One of the other mom's in the birth classes we took (who also was in training to be a midwife) had the same thing happen too, though she had a fast furious labor and birth. She didn't seem worried about it happening again though. I had a dream a few weeks ago where I was giving birth to the baby I'm carrying now and in the dream everything went great. Easy labor, short pushing phase, and no hemorrhage! I was so happy in my dream, I'm hoping it comes true....
#6 of 12 Old 01-21-2004, 08:06 PM

I don't know about preventing it, but if it does happen some people swear by chewing on the placenta. :Puke

I had it happen with my last. NOT fun. But I was OK for all 3 of my other births. I would try not to worry about it happening again. Not too many people do it with every birth.

s I hope the birth goes like it did in your dream.
#7 of 12 Old 01-24-2004, 01:11 PM

Quote:
but if it does happen some people swear by chewing on the placenta
I'm vegetarian. I wonder if eating your own placenta would count as being a meat-eater. :LOL

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#8 of 12 Old 01-24-2004, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by USAmma
I'm vegetarian. I wonder if eating your own placenta would count as being a meat-eater. :LOL

Darshani
I was a vegetarian for over 7 years and I'd say YES. I know others disagree, but to me that's worse than eating meat. :Puke I would die first. lol
#9 of 12 Old 01-24-2004, 01:32 PM

I also had a pretty severe hemorrhage with my son, went through the same stuff you did, mine was due to 6 hrs. of pushing...but I can relate to your fear. I was in a hospital, with a CNM who was wonderful, and had an unmedecated birth. I I went to a hosp. b/c I couldn't find a midwife who would do a homebirth on a first time mom (can you believe that?!?!) But my midwife was great, let dh deliver ds...I digress...what I wanted to say, is with dd, I had no problems with bleeding. She was 5 wks early, and my labor was shorter (52hrs w/ds, 22 hrs w/ dd) I think your dream may be a way for your body/mind to let you know it will all be OK
#10 of 12 Old 01-24-2004, 01:36 PM

Oh, btw...in some countries/tribes its customary to fry the placenta and eat it as part of the celebratory meal after a baby is born...to each his own, but....um, I hope I'm not invited....:Puke
#11 of 12 Old 01-24-2004, 11:03 PM

I hear alot of vegetarians are fine with the idea because nothing was killed to obtain the meat.

That said, there are many that are just grossed out by the thought of eating the placenta, and not so much the ethical issues of eating any sort of meat or organ.
#12 of 12 Old 01-25-2004, 09:48 PM

If I felt I was bleeding too much, I would absolutely take a bite of the placenta. It's supposed to be extremely effective. Not appetizing, no, but better in my mind than a trip to the hospital!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page