After Pains - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 06-02-2009, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had none with my first (which I hear is normal) and terrible after pains with #2. I am pregnant with #3 and have heard that they get worse with each baby. Is this true? I am curious of other women's experience ... some people I know IRL with more than one baby have never had them at all.

WAHM to a toddler, preschooler, and kindergarten student. 
:

#2 of 17 Old 06-02-2009, 11:17 PM

I cannot say that I recall having afterpains with either child. However, I had c-sections so I was on pain killers for that, so I assumed that the pain killers also prevented me from feeling afterpains. I think it's at least semi-common (among mainstreamers, anyway) to take some sort of pain killer after the birth for soreness, episiotiomy discomfort, etc, so perhaps these women did have afterpains but just didn't feel them.

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#3 of 17 Old 06-02-2009, 11:42 PM

It was true for me. With baby #5, the afterpains were so bad that I had to stop nursing during our very first session. It was very much like labor. I ended up taking a percocet here and there during my hospital stay - not all day long, but at least one during the day and one during the night; I can't remember but I probably took one every 6-8 hours rather than the 4 that I think it was good for. That seemed to do the trick. I got a prescription to take home but never ended up needing it. (I couldn't take ibuprofen for other reasons; plain tylenol didn't begin to touch this pain.)

With this next one, I plan to ask for one percocet as soon as the baby is out, in preparation for that first nursing session, which was the worst of them all.

A friend of mine is a postpartum nurse and has often told me that the afterpains are usually worse the more babies one has had.
#4 of 17 Old 06-03-2009, 02:20 AM

My 4th and 5th babies were my easiest, most comfortable recoveries (24-48 hours of mild cramping). My third was the worst, due to complications. So, in my experience, afterpains aren't necessarily worse with each baby. I did use the complete Hypnobabies program with my last two, which probably has a lot to do with it. I also was much more careful about keeping my iron up which also helped a ton.

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

#5 of 17 Old 06-03-2009, 02:35 AM

My afterpains were worse with number three, but not unbearable. I would compare them to labor contractions, and I did have to breathe through them at times. Breastfeeding triggered them for the first couple days after birth. I took Motrin (3 at a time) and that seemed sufficient.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#6 of 17 Old 06-03-2009, 03:11 AM

My afterpains were worst with #3, but I also had complications. My mw told me to take motrin and arnica and that took care of them.

Like above I'm taking more specific supplements to help with my blood/vein health, so hopefully they won't be as bad.
#7 of 17 Old 06-03-2009, 06:43 AM

I'm going to be sure I am ready for awful afterpains when we eventually have #3. With #1 it was a bit painful... and with #2 it really took me by surprise and I was in quite a significant amount of pain - used pain killers and had a heat pad on my lower back for the first few days! Most people I ask say in general it gets worse with each child. Oh joy!

Mama to 2 gorgeous little boys 5 yrs and 2.5 yrs fencing.gif expecting another babyf.gif in November 2011!!

It's a stork-girl.gif !!! hearts.gif
Living with my amazing partner love.gif and 4 cat.gif

#8 of 17 Old 06-03-2009, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

i ask because i had absolutely no afterpains with baby #1. with baby #2 they were horrid. i had no idea that such a thing existed and called my nurse to make sure everything was ok, i was doubled over in tears from them and took pain-killers.
after pains are actually the only thing that makes me nervous about having baby #3 if it is supposed to get even worse.

WAHM to a toddler, preschooler, and kindergarten student. 
:

#9 of 17 Old 06-04-2009, 12:20 AM

This whole thing has me worried because the after pains with DS (first child) were HORRIBLE! Labor was much easier (no drugs). I'm likely to deliver #2 any day now and I'm not looking forward to that part.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#10 of 17 Old 06-04-2009, 12:24 AM

I had horrible after-pains after #1, none after #2. I was actually really worried and apprehensive about the after-pains before #2 because they had been so incredibly painful. I had c/s with both deliveries and was on pain medication - believe me - I could certainly feel them even when you take pain medication. It sounds as if the intensity can vary from person to person and from delivery to delivery. I would say from my experience that having them once is no guarantee that you'll have them again.
#11 of 17 Old 06-04-2009, 01:39 AM

ive had 3 and i didnt notice much difference between #2 and #3. they were both intense~ definately like being in labor again. i didnt have any with #1.

joyful student mama to DS 2-05, open adoption birthmama to DD 5-07: and DS 6-98, crazy in love with DH, and loving our new baby boy! 7-09:!!
#12 of 17 Old 06-04-2009, 02:53 PM

I think that my after pains have been pretty comparable with all three babies.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#13 of 17 Old 06-04-2009, 02:58 PM

Mine were not very bad after #1, pretty bad after #2, but then the easiest yet after #3. I was prepared for the worse. My midwife had me take some ibuprofen in anticipation but I ended up not needing anything more than that one time.
#14 of 17 Old 06-04-2009, 03:22 PM

i didn't think any of mine were that terrible. of course, now that i say it i'll get them awful after this babe is born.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#15 of 17 Old 06-04-2009, 03:51 PM

with #1 i didn't have any, with#2 it was pretty intense like some contrations! whew was i glad after a few days when they went away!

: Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver and baby (due June 1st)

Babies: Angel (6/29/02), Tiberius (3/8/11), Lillianna (12/27/11)

#16 of 17 Old 06-06-2009, 10:56 PM

Mine were so bad with my last #3... that I am now terrified... with #4 due in 5 days... I talked to my midwife and told her that I have some rationed vicodin from a tooth abcess and would like to take it after delivery... She said that would be totally fine...

My afterpains were tolerable for the first few hours after birth.. but around 4 hours after delivery when I was nursing it just about killed me.... I was in a full sweat and brought to my knees... So I am really scared with this delivery...
#17 of 17 Old 06-07-2009, 01:39 AM

Mine were worst after my third. I attribute the easier time this time to 1) Advil- 800 mg every 6 hours 2)Heating pad on my stomach constantly for the first few days and 3) Rescue Remedy. Those three things made a HUGE difference, and I had really been dreading them this time!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page