Homebirth risks vs hospital birth risks for mother - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-07-2009, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After seeing a supposedly VBAC friendly OB for 7 months, it seems I am now planning a homebirth. I'm having some PTSD issues about my last birth every time I go near a hospital, and we finally decided I had a better chance at VBAC at home. My understanding is that the biggest worry at home is excessive bleeding or rupture whereas at the hospital my biggest worry would be (besides unnecessary c-section & all that comes with it) infection.

What else do I have to worry about at home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 06-07-2009, 10:54 PM

The only thing riskier at home is that you are not down the hall from emergency care. In my case, I am 5 minutes away from a hospital and feel safer at home.
For a normal birth there is nothing riskier about hb. There should be lots of VBAC support in the birth forum too if you want to check it out. I believe there is a VBAC section.
If you trust yourself and trust that you will know what your body needs I think hb is a safer route and it is definitely gentler.
The only other worry might be making sure you have enough post partum support.
Good luck!
#3 of 7 Old 06-07-2009, 11:05 PM

Moved to Birth and Beyond.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#4 of 7 Old 06-07-2009, 11:17 PM

With an HBAC I would make sure that whoever is attending the birth knows what to look for in terms of early signs of rupture. Aside from that, any competent HB midwife should have things to deal with about 90% of what comes up. It would personally make me much more comfortable if I were close (within 5-10 mins) to a hospital that my MW had an established relationship with so that if you do require a transfer for whatever reason she can come with you and continue to maintain her role as midwife. (No experience w/ this personally, but I've heard of stories where MWs are "illegal" and then can't even advocate for the mom if a transfer is required - this is clearly not ideal)

Good luck to you!

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#5 of 7 Old 06-08-2009, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll be 5 minutes from a hospital w/maternity care but VBAC ban & 30 minutes from a hospital that allows VBACs.
#6 of 7 Old 06-10-2009, 10:32 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31171750/

Infection rates are up in hospitals. In some places up 3-fold or more since 2000. REALLY scary especially considering the bugs you can get in the hospital are more likely to be resistant to antibiotics. I would take my bugs at home over the bugs in a hospital.
#7 of 7 Old 06-12-2009, 01:52 PM

I'm planning a home VBAC too, also close to a hospital.

I recommend learning tons about birth, not specifically because you are "high risk" (which I don't consider us to be--chance of rupture is still lower than the chance of other pregnancy complications that all births are subject to), but because I recently started educating myself on birth and now feel very confident about what I will or will not transfer for.

When a midwife says there is something worrisome, you won't have the data to judge for yourself whether it's worrisome and so will be more likely to transfer needlessly. If you learn about complications, then you can make a more informed decision and as a result . . .

. . . the chances are that if I transfer it will be for an emergency cesarean, in which case it doesn't matter whether the hospital is VBAC friendly!

I'm loving the unassisted childbirth forum for resources so I can learn about the natural process of birth as well as complications. The more I learn, the less scary it is!

As for hospital risks, my main concern would be that I would be unable to fight off every last intervention so that finally something seemingly innocuous would be done that would lead to unnecessary cesarean. Or just because it can be hard for the natural birth process to progress in a hospital setting. I'm sure you know about the risks to mother and baby associated with cesareans.

And infection, that too!

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page