What happens if i refuse to be induced? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-25-2009, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, now I'm at 38 weeks. It's true that it's no fun being with a HCP I don't trust. When I asked her how they induced the baby, she told me all the different methods, my heart rate went up and she sent me for an EEG.

I met someone recently, same hospital, fought to have baby not induced and baby was born 14 days past due date.

I definitely won't let them induce me, and my husband is on the same page as me. He's really good at helping me put my foot down, if I start to doubt myself. But it's true, it has meant that now I have to watch for everything the dr. says and does since i no longer find her reliable.

My husband came with me to my last appointment. I'm with a team of doctors, one I trust (somewhat), and one I don't. The one I do, is the head dr. and the other one is a resident. I was told that I don't have to have her (the resident) at the birth if I don't feel comfortable with her. Though they both uphold the notion that a baby should not go past 41 weeks.

Being armed with information and emotional support is helpful. Thank you, wishing and praying, relaxing and meditating for a peaceful birth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2009, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

"There were a lot of things I simply said "no" to, and I love my doctor. I'm not sure why it's believed that every time one wants to say no to a procedure the doc gets defensive and it becomes a fight. It's not so. "

Either your doctor is pretty easy going and is open and respectful to various methods of birthing, or you have mastered the art of being both laid back and assertive and respectful.

I said no pretty much to all pre-natal testing other than ultrasound pretty easily, but lately for some reason, maybe my guard has been down, it's been more difficult to re-direct my doctor when she says, "let's check that just in case"
Old 07-27-2009, 12:01 PM

It's the "just in case" that makes it so difficult, though. I've been referred to consultant-led care this time round and I can see why my hospital has a 30% c-section rate: and this is my fifth kid and I always thought I was a fairly informed consumer : I actually think that most doctors have no idea how distressing a medically managed pregnancy can be and how the constant fear that your body is malfunctioning can affect you, and unfortunately, I doubt that anyone has looked for statistics on midwife-led/ doctor-led care and pre-natal depression.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMom38 View Post
Either your doctor is pretty easy going and is open and respectful to various methods of birthing, or you have mastered the art of being both laid back and assertive and respectful.
The fact that the person you're quoting also birthed all her babies less than 60 minutes after walking into the hospital also helps a little teeny-tiny bit!

Basically every post here that asks how to have the best chance of a good low/no-intervention hospital birth seems include 3 primary keys:
1. pick the best HCP & hospital you can
2. get a doula
3. labor at home as long as possible.

So those of us that basically showed up at the hospital & pushed the baby out (that was me) are, of course going to have had dramatically lower risks of having to "fight" through laboring. (Well, since we didn't even "labor" in the hospital anyway!)
Old 07-28-2009, 11:57 AM

MegBoz, it's very clear that you take issue with my trying to tell women all doctors aren't Satanic Beasts that don't give a rat's arse what their patients want. It has nothing to do with how long I was in labor - my wishes were well known long before I even conceived the babes, and my doctor was to follow those wishes to a "T". She was paid to do that, she's not superior to me or in control of me - I'm the paying customer, she is there to service ME, NO MATTER WHAT.

Like I said before, and like you will so predictibly argue, there are MILLIONS of doctors out there like mine that actually respect their patients and will follow their wishes. Period. You can spew all the stats you want, I don't care. I'm not the only one that had a great experience, whether it be for an hour or for 20 hours. It would've made NO DIFFERENCE.

The floor is yours again to tell women that I have the only doctor in the continental United States that's like this, and no one should ever trust a doctor because they will never ever ever do what they want.

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
Old 07-28-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraS View Post
MegBoz, it's very clear that you take issue with my trying to tell women all doctors aren't Satanic Beasts that don't give a rat's arse what their patients want.
I don't take issue with you saying all docs are not evil. (Actually, I agree there! There are lots of awesome docs in the world!) What I do take issue with is you saying that it is "so simple - just say no." It is NOT that simple. Because there ARE docs who don't respect patients wishes. (And others who do end up intervening because they truly believe their interventions are medically necessary when they're not (or there could be other ways), because they don't know any other way to practice.)

So it's important for women to find a good HCP in the first place. .THAT is the way to work towards a good birth experience - NOT simply "just say no."

Quote:
It has nothing to do with how long I was in labor - my wishes were well known long before I even conceived the babes, and my doctor was to follow those wishes to a "T".
In your case, I don't doubt you are right. You had a fabulous doc who would not have pushed unwanted interventions on you. & that is GREAT!

But for all other women out there who don't have your same doc, it is often said that the longer you labor in the hospital, the better your chances of having some intervention. (I'm not the first to have said that... It's a very common sentiment.)
In this article in our Baltimore City Paper, an OB said exactly that himself:
Quote:
"If you are here long enough, we are going to do something to you. It's a matter of time. I will be the first one to admit that," he says. "The trade-off is that I am going to make sure that nothing happens to you or to the baby.

"So which risk do you want? You can't have it both ways."
(this is the doc who oversees Maryland's most prolific labor and delivery hospital ward.)
So I do think that is very relevant in general (even though it may not be relevant for you personally.).

Quote:
Like I said before, and like you will so predictibly argue, there are MILLIONS of doctors out there like mine that actually respect their patients and will follow their wishes. Period. You can spew all the stats you want, I don't care. I'm not the only one that had a great experience, whether it be for an hour or for 20 hours. It would've made NO DIFFERENCE.
Have I really ever said that there is no such thing as a doc who will be respectful of a patient's wishes? I hope not, that's not something I ever meant to communicate.
Again, I simply wish to communicate you cannot just blindly trust any HCP. You must chose carefully. "Just say no" is not a good 'strategy' for ensuring that you receive compassionate, respectful, and evidence-based maternity care. (again, I 'spew stats' because anti-evidence based care is abundant. It's not as though the 'risks I'm spewing are one-in-a-million!)

Heck, I could say the same about my DH! I had to chose him carefully. (and WHEW did I make some bad choices first! Now that I have chosen him, I trust him, but you must evaluate carefully before choosing. Do you disagree there?

Quote:
The floor is yours again to tell women that I have the only doctor in the continental United States that's like this, and no one should ever trust a doctor because they will never ever ever do what they want.
Please, please quote me. If I've misrepresented myself so innacurrately as to lead any to believe I really think there is only ONE good doc (or one-in-a-million good ones), I'd like to know which words it was so I can rectify the issue & be sure to present myself more clearly in the future.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
...my wishes were well known long before I even conceived the babes, and my doctor was to follow those wishes to a "T". She was paid to do that, she's not superior to me or in control of me - I'm the paying customer, she is there to service ME, NO MATTER WHAT.

Like I said before, and like you will so predictably argue, there are MILLIONS of doctors out there like mine that actually respect their patients and will follow their wishes. Period. You can spew all the stats you want, I don't care. I'm not the only one that had a great experience, whether it be for an hour or for 20 hours. It would've made NO DIFFERENCE.
I really wish I could find JUST ONE doctor in my area that would respect MY wishes during my pregnancy and labor. Trust me, I researched it fully. They simply do not exist. And if they do, they *can't* support my wishes because they go against HOSPITAL policy. And against INSURANCE policy. And against AMA and ACOG and all the pharmacy-owned statistics that they go by. So yeah, your doctor might not literally be one in a million, but she/he is CERTAINLY few and far between. I definitely had to concede to a certain level of care just to be SEEN by these HCP's for prenatal care. My wishes? Out the window.

And it CERTAINLY doesn't hurt to tell women to empower themselves, to inform themselves, to EDUCATE themselves about their choices and to be alert and educated enough to be prepared for a fight if it comes down to it...because more than likely IT WILL.

*Meghan* - Mom to Sam (5/14/08) and Joseph Scott born 9/10/09! and wife to amazing hubby Mike : ! WE LOVE OUR : FAMILY!
Old 07-29-2009, 01:34 PM

: subbing.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07

User Tag List