Talk to me about Lotus Birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-22-2004, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm very curious about this! What are the pros and cons? What have been your personal experiences? Are there risks?

Thanks in advance!

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#2 of 6 Old 01-24-2004, 01:02 AM

BUMP!
I'm curious too.

Jennifer
SAHM mommy to Gabriel, my precious gift from God

Jennifer, Wifey to Stevenwinky.gif, Mommy to Gwhistling.gif and Hfairy.gif. TTC for 5 years.
Praying for God to bless us again!

#3 of 6 Old 01-24-2004, 09:48 AM

I, personally, have not had a lotus birth.

I think the main "pro" for me would be it *might* encourage me to not get up and out so fast. But, I consider that a con. I wouldn't be comfortable taking along a placenta--- though thinking about it that *definately* would have freaked out the JC Penney photographer who took DS's picture when he was one day old. LOL.

Kay

#4 of 6 Old 01-24-2004, 06:17 PM

I am planning one for next time! Do a search of the homebirth forum, one of the threads- I think its called "LOtus Birth Anyone?" contains a post with an awesome link.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#5 of 6 Old 01-24-2004, 07:38 PM

The only con that I can see, if mom is willing to take the trouble to do this, is that the cord can get very hard and non-flexible and may pull on baby's belly button area. It would be very hard to move the baby for diaper changes and nursing without risk of pulling on that area. I speak from no personal experience. Perhaps I am wrong in this assumption.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#6 of 6 Old 01-24-2004, 10:32 PM

I have read that it only takes a couple of days for the cord to fall off intirely of it's own accord.
Less time than a little cord stump I believe.

It seems for many lotus birthers that it is spiritual, and in some cases they treat the placenta like another baby!
In other cases they kind of "worship" it and treat it as thanks for getting nourishment to their babes and therefore allowing them to be, and they allow "nature" to take its course.
(though i think in nature most animals chew the cord off?...so thatis kind of weird).

I thought about it briefly after reading a lotus birther's website & personal experience (can't find it now), but dh asked me not to as he wasn't comfortable with the idea od carrying a sack of meat around with the baby and said he would be too icked out to snuggle the baby or what have you (though seeing him upon the birth of his first baby, i doubt it!! ).

I just went for no cord clamping until after the placenta was delivered. The hospital midwives called it a "mini-lotus birth type deal" amongst themselves

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page