Vitamin K Shot? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 06-26-2009, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMYS View Post
I've declined the Vit K, but will reconsider the oral Vit K if the birth is traumatic. The eye ointment unfortunately is required by law in Ontario.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BekahMomToOliver View Post
We did vitamin K last time and probably will again. I would opt out of the eye goop, but alas I too am in Ontario, so we can't. I really don't like that stuff though!
Just a note to the Ontario Moms... I understand it's public health law, but you can still refuse. What will happen afterwords depends on where you are birthing, your care provider, and your location. There is at least one person on this thread already who is in Ontario and refusing eye ointment and I'm another...

Just thought I'd through that out there depending on how strongly you feel about it

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#32 of 39 Old 06-27-2009, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
supplementing mom has been studied to a small degree- most moms do not even get the rda for their own needs- so increasing that can only help in general
unfortunately the numbers are not small in many areas of the US the reason NY has manditory vitamin K is because of the research they have- the number of incidence of vitamin K related bleeds in their newborn population put the incidence at about 1-2/1000,-this personally tallies with what I have been hearing from midwives- who often will give a baby who is brusing or has other symptoms some vitamin K in the weeks postpartum- the trouble with that approach is that 1/3-2/3's of vitamin K bleeds may start in the brain before there are other signs or symptoms of a bleed. other parts of the world have much lower incidence - Japan for one the average mom gets between 3-4 times the US rda so about 300-400 /day ( for the average woman in the US this is probably about 6-8 times as much vitamin K foods as she normally eats)
green veggies and fermented soy products- the greens actually give you a higher amount if they are cooked- but cooked or raw eat them everyday- for your long term health as well as to protect your baby
#33 of 39 Old 06-27-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful_maia View Post
This isn't true and is a very common misconception. In fact, breastmilk for the first week or two has very, very low fat content and Vitamin K is a fat-soluble vitamin. Almost all cases of Vitamin K deficiency bleeding happen in exclusively breastfed babies. Of course, it's still exceedingly rare, so statistics are difficult to gather/interpret.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
I did it last time and will again. The leukemia link was debunked, and it seems so little risk for a potentially large benefit.
I have been back and forth on the Vit K and I'm particularly interested in these 2 statements. We have currently decided to skip it and up my intake with nursing, largely because of the supposed leukemia risk (although also because I'm a little wary of messing with nature, so to speak....perhaps it starts out low for a reason). So any info on effectiveness of raising the levels through nursing, or proving or disproving a leukemia link would be appreciated.

Amy, wife to Paul 5/20/01, SAHM to Daniel 5/23/07, Claire 7/15/09, and Elaine 9/4/12

#34 of 39 Old 06-28-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydiane View Post
I have been back and forth on the Vit K and I'm particularly interested in these 2 statements. We have currently decided to skip it and up my intake with nursing, largely because of the supposed leukemia risk (although also because I'm a little wary of messing with nature, so to speak....perhaps it starts out low for a reason). So any info on effectiveness of raising the levels through nursing, or proving or disproving a leukemia link would be appreciated.
I will post some abstracts/links later today or tomorrow.

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#35 of 39 Old 06-30-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful_maia View Post
I will post some abstracts/links later today or tomorrow.
Cool, thanks!

Amy, wife to Paul 5/20/01, SAHM to Daniel 5/23/07, Claire 7/15/09, and Elaine 9/4/12

#36 of 39 Old 12-12-2011, 07:19 AM

good morning,

I am about 38 weeks now and I really don't want to get the vitamin k shot or the eye drops or even the blood sample from babys heel.  I was wondering what you meant by "refusing them access" regarding the shot?

thx

#37 of 39 Old 12-13-2011, 03:40 PM

I'm deciding on Vitamin K myself, but thought I would mention that I am in Ontario and I declined the eye drops with my first born in 2009, so it is absolutely not necessary.  It was a hospital birth with a midwife and it was no problem whatsoever.  I just indicated I did not want to drops, and they didn't do them, although it's law, you're allowed to opt out.

#38 of 39 Old 12-19-2011, 06:48 PM

I believe you just have to sign a refusal stating that you opted out. 

We had planned on opting out of the VitK, but I pushed for 2.5 hours, and she got a little bit stuck on the shoulders, so we opted to do it after all. We did however wait about 8 hours instead of having it done right away. 

It wasn't mentioned, but we also declined the newborn screening until 3 days post birth (we were home already, but went to a lab to have it done). This saves her the terror of it being done right after birth, and also the test is more accurate after 72 hours. Might be worth looking in to. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#39 of 39 Old 12-22-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post

I did it last time and will again. The leukemia link was debunked, and it seems so little risk for a potentially large benefit.

I know this is an old post, but since it was bumped, I want to reiterate this ^^. I'm on the Droid ATM, so can't really post the relevant studies, but found the data easily obtained when I was considering which to permit at the hospital. Vit K and leukemia link was debunked, and with no other real potential complications I determined to allow that injection.

I refused the erythromycin as I do not have chlamydia or gonorrhea, as proven by 10 years of annual well woman exams and the mandatory pregnancy STD test, so unless they've changed their minds about catching that from toilet seats, I was comfortable saying there was no chance at my having one of those. =P

I also declined them testing my son's blood type after birth to determine whether I required a Rhogam shot. I am A-, my DH is AB-, my OB ran the tests themselves. "Sometimes things happen and the baby can be born with a positive blood type anyway, it happened just last week to another patient who said her and her husband were both negative," the nurse tried to tell me. "Perhaps she was confused about the father of her child," I replied politely. This isn't an algebra class, lady. Two negatives do not make a positive. I learned the basics of a punnet square in sixth grade. >.<<br />
I don't mind mitigating reasonable risk if there are reasonably low side effects, but I'm not letting you stick and slap goop on me and my kid if there is literally no reason to do so besides "that's just what we do." =P

Just a grad student hopelessly in love with her amazing DH and wee baby Eli (12/06/11).

1394/2012 in 2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page